- Car Stereo Message Forums
 - - Other Mobile Electronics
 - - - LED daytime running lights

LED daytime running lights
Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-02-2011 11:38 PM:

Sic, how would you wire LED DRLs?? I tried having an import tuning shop install them today while having my car serviced. They tried tapping into the parking lights, but the LED DRLs turned off after 30 seconds. They said that I'd need a relay or switch. These LED DRLs didn't come with a switch or relay. Some similar LED DRLs say you just tap into the positive/negative leads of the low beam or high beam lines, but it didn't seem to work. The more expensive modules come with a DRL relay of some sort

LED DRLs

Posted by sicaudio on 05-03-2011 10:07 AM:

Photobucket ...just like that ;) the remote turn on would be a hot line tap from the existing wiring :) any 30 amp 5 pole relay is fine

Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-03-2011 12:35 PM:

could I tap into the fuse box or would that be too risky?? Trying to search on autozone, pepboys and O' reilly's sites for 30a 5pin relays...found a few on amazon, but then I'd have to buy like 10 in order to get free shipping!!

would a 4 pin 30a relay work as well??

Posted by sicaudio on 05-03-2011 12:52 PM:

yeah u have to buy the relay... part stores sell em for 5-7 bux...use the existing park light hot line as the remote input and the 12volt source can be the battery or any other constant 12 volt or keyed 12 volt source that you want...just make sure you fuse the wire!!!.... using the relay just gives the lights a constant 12 volts the exiting light wire is the trigger to turn it on..

Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-03-2011 01:10 PM:

originally the installer tried tapping into the parking lot hot wire, but only got the lights to come on for 30 seconds, then they turned off. Would it matter that I have LED bulbs for the parking lights and not regular filament bulbs?? The LED bulbs are like 1w whereas the regular #194/#168 filament bulb is 27w.

what size fuse should I get for the remote wire?? or should I get a fusible wire??

Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-03-2011 05:47 PM:

I don't know if these drl modules actually work or if it's the wiring inside my altima, but I just had them leave the drl modules installed...kinda sucks that they don't power on. Trying to see if I can get a relay or exchange from the place that I ordered them from. Took some pics of them installed... Bought the xenon white ones since I don't care about color, I like output rather than color so I didn't get the blue ones.

led drl1

led drl2

led drl3

RE:
Posted by sicaudio on 05-03-2011 11:42 PM:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-03-2011 by gameguru1360
originally the installer tried tapping into the parking lot hot wire, but only got the lights to come on for 30 seconds, then they turned off. Would it matter that I have LED bulbs for the parking lights and not regular filament bulbs?? The LED bulbs are like 1w whereas the regular #194/#168 filament bulb is 27w.

what size fuse should I get for the remote wire?? or should I get a fusible wire??

thats why i told ya to run the relay....the wattage draws so little...some cars need to sense the current on DRL's...the relay tricks it and keeps the lights on...use a 10-30 amp fuse...

Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-04-2011 12:21 AM:

so without the relay, you think the DRL module is still good, it just needs the relay to tell the computer that there is enough current going to the led drl's??

Posted by sicaudio on 05-04-2011 12:53 AM:

just hook them to a contant 12 volts and see :)

Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-04-2011 01:08 AM:

you think maybe they should be hooked up to the high beams?? the parking lights are outfiited with 1w LED bulbs...

Posted by sicaudio on 05-04-2011 08:51 AM:

if you hook them to the hi-beam thats the only time they would work is when the hi-beam is on....make it simple forget the relay use a toggle switch....dont tap into anything just run all new wire or have a shop do it...an automotive shop not a stereo shop...

Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-04-2011 10:45 AM:

I think I'm just going to go find a 5 pin 30a relay and try hooking them up to the parking light hot wire. I want them to remain on and not be enabled with a toggle switch.

I went back to the place where I bought the DRL switch. I bought the LED DRL modules plus this DRL switch so that the DRLs would auto dim when you turn on the headlights. Turns out that the DRL switch is the problem...it only works with european cars. For import cars like hondas and nissans, that's why the lights would only turn on for 30 seconds and shut off.

so I exchanged it for some glossy carbon fiber vinyl sheets for my dashboard and other areas. They tested the same model DRL lights and they stayed on for more than 1 minute, so I won't need a relay. They'll only come on when I turn on the parking lights if I hook up to the positive leads of the parking lights.

Posted by sicaudio on 05-04-2011 07:19 PM:

ahhh see you never told me you had a drl relay already...

Posted by gameguru1360 on 05-04-2011 09:15 PM:

sorry I forgot to mention that in my original post. This is the DRL relay that I tried installing with the DRL module. I got it because it was a universal one, but apparently it's only for european cars.

DRL Auto Switch

so when I get them reinstalled, they should just come on whenever I turn on the parking lights