- Car Stereo Message Forums
 - - Head Units
 - - - "USB device error" on Alpine IDA-X305S

"USB device error" on Alpine IDA-X305S
Posted by turqoisehex on 08-16-2011 09:53 PM:

I just installed a shiny new IDA-X305S, but whenever I plug in an iPod or iPhone I get the dreaded "USB device error" message. I've tried doing a hard reset on the phones (a 3Gs and a 4) and a factory reset on the HU (holding the red button) to no effect. This was with the white cable that comes with iPhones plugged directly into the HU. When plugged in, the device doesn't give any message at all. Today I tried an iPod touch and got the same message. I have a 160GB HD that works just fine, except that the controls on the HU are less than stellar when using a HD, and it doesn't display album art, which is a nice feature. I don't have the iPod cable that came with the HU (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/kcu-440i/), but I am using the extension cable that came with it. Is there actually any difference between the Apple cable and the Alpine one, or is it just BS? I'll buy the cable if you experts think it will fix the problem. Your opinion or advice is appreciated, thanks!

Posted by sicaudio on 08-17-2011 01:45 AM:

Alpines USB/Ipod connections and compatibility are buggy at best ( unlike Pioneers that are perfect always )they may need the Alpine cable but don't quote me on it...

Are you using the provided HU cable from Alpine?
Posted by bryansong on 08-19-2011 07:01 PM:

I copied this from Alpine. Super-Fast USB Connection The iDA-X305S uses a USB connection (cable included) for iPhones, which provides ultra-fast digital data transfers so songs are loaded instantly. Sound quality is maximized by using USB along with the 24-Bit Burr-Brown D/A converter, allowing for an incredible Signal to Noise ratio of 105dB. Plus, the iDA-X305S quickly loads up full Album Art on its screen. Thanks to the USB connection, you can also plug in an USB thumb-drive loaded with music.

Posted by turqoisehex on 08-19-2011 07:44 PM:

Like I said, I'm using the included USB extension cable, but I don't have the Alpine iPod cable. So yes and no. The purpose of this thread is to find out if the Alpine iPod cable will actually make any difference. Thanks for your feedback. It's too bad Pioneers are perfect, I've had one for 6 years (without USB port) and switched to the Alpine because I heard they were better >.< (and I wanted a newer HU)

Posted by bryansong on 08-19-2011 08:17 PM:

Why I asked is because I have the CDA-117 HU and it came with not only the USB cable but it also had a short IPod interface cable too. It has an USB connector on one end and an IPod connector on the other. I don't own an IPod so I really haven't used it but I know I have the adapter cable. Sorry If I wasn't following you.

Bryan

RE:
Posted by turqoisehex on 08-19-2011 10:24 PM:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-19-2011 by bryansong
Why I asked is because I have the CDA-117 HU and it came with not only the USB cable but it also had a short IPod interface cable too. It has an USB connector on one end and an IPod connector on the other. I don't own an IPod so I really haven't used it but I know I have the adapter cable. Sorry If I wasn't following you.

Bryan

Yep, you're following me, we're all on the same page :-) The short connector is what I'm lacking. If you feel like selling yours or giving it away, let me know :-)

Posted by bryansong on 08-19-2011 10:59 PM:

I am not using it but... I had better hang on to it just in case. Sorry! I bet you could order one from your Alpine dealer.

Posted by turqoisehex on 08-20-2011 12:52 AM:

Yep, I could, I'd just rather not pay the $30 :-p I guess at this point there's only one way to find out.

Posted by KJM01 on 08-20-2011 11:32 AM:

any usb to ipod cable will work, the alpine cable is no different, i have used both the alpine one and my friend's cord, same chit

a usb is a usb!

RE:
Posted by turqoisehex on 08-20-2011 06:54 PM:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-20-2011 by KJM01

any usb to ipod cable will work, the alpine cable is no different, i have used both the alpine one and my friend's cord, same chit

a usb is a usb!

Thanks! Thanks what I figured, but supposedly there is some kind of difference in the Alpine cable. Assuming that's BS and there is no difference, does that mean my HU is a lemon?

Posted by KJM01 on 08-20-2011 07:44 PM:

not sure, but my cda117 has no problems reading any mp3's yet that ive come across. even plays my psp go mp3s, iphones, ipods (except the ipod nano it is too old)

I guess I'll need that IPod cable after all.
Posted by bryansong on 08-27-2011 11:36 PM:

My wife and I are going on vacation next week and I have been working on Play List. I was going to borrow my daughter boyfriend's old IPhone for the music and was going to use the AUX in on the Goldwing's radio but now I won't have to. My birthday isn't until October but my wife and children surprised me with an early birthday cake and then an IPod Nano. I'll need to read the Alpine CDA-117 manual to see how to use it.

I have spent hours at the Garage computer today picking music from the ITunes library. My library has 189 gig and the IPod will hold about 14 gig, It's hard to choose what songs so finally I just started loading whole albums.

I now have the IPod mounted with velcro on the ferring of the bike with the audio cable wire running behind the glove box. Pretty discrete!

Northern California here we come.

Bryan

Back home from vacation
Posted by bryansong on 09-17-2011 01:04 PM:

IPod Nano worked great on the bike.

Bryan

Posted by DARKGRAYLEXUS350 on 11-10-2012 02:55 PM:

THIS IS JJ AND IVE BEEN INSTALLING AUDIO VIDEO FOR 15 YEARS AND YES! THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN USB TO IPOD CABLES. ITS IN THE PIN CONFIGURATIONS. I HAVE INSTALLED MANY ALPINE IDA X305S AND HAVE COME ACROSS THE INFAMOUS "USB DEVICE ERROR" MESSAGE WHEN TRYING TO MIX AND MATCH THE USB TO IPOD CABLE WITH OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL ALPINE CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE ALPINE IDA X305S RADIO. PLUGING YOUR WHITE IPHONE OR IPOD CABLE WILL NOT WORK EITHER. ITS NOT YOUR IPHONE OR IPOD FIRMWARE AND YOUR ALPINE IDAX305S IS OK AS WELL. RELAX. CHECK ME OUT AT YOU TUBE @ PROTINTTEMPLECITYCA IM IN LOS ANGELES,CA 626-285-5208

Posted by mimoza on 08-09-2013 03:43 AM:

Your reception may be off. If you want to build an empire how do you begin. I need more experience with P2P and B2B. I f I can master people I can master it all. Products sell themselves, you have to master the market before anything. Postal Data Capture Postal Services Data Capture Retail Data Capture Manufacturing Data Capture Logistics Data Capture Transport Data Capture mobile capture mobile data capture remote deposit auto capture mobile fax fax by phone document management MobiFLOW pay bills by phone pay bills with phone Aruba Vacation Caribbean Cruise Caribbean Beach Caribbean Wedding Caribbean Honeymoon Caribbean Festival Caribbean Adventures Caribbean Vacations Caribbean Restaurants All Inclusive Caribbean Caribbean Resorts Caribbean Family Caribbean Villas Caribbean Real Estate Aruba Beach Aruba

Posted by JohnVella on 09-02-2013 03:42 AM:

I have an iDA-X100 ,that happened to me few times ,but I was able to fixed it with reseting my iPod though.