- Car Stereo Message Forums
 - - Head Units
 - - - What a birthday!

What a birthday!
Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-23-2012 09:13 PM:

My birthday isn't actually until tomorrow but the wife and kids gave me a few birthday gifts tonight. Photobucket Photobucket

Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-23-2012 09:20 PM:

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS and KNU Krystal rca cables.I'm sure most know the specs on the Pioneer but....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13080PRS/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS.html#details-tab

The good stuff.... 3- 24 bit burr brown da convertars. 28 bit dsp, 3 way active, auto eq, auto time alignment, dual left and right 16 band eq.

The knu rca's appear to be made considerably better than the cheap Knu wires I had been using. I was chasing down a slight interferance for quite some time and I'm hoping these will help.They sure are pretty nonetheless.

Posted by GILLETTE on 05-25-2012 09:54 AM:

Ohhhhhhhh Mannnnnnnnn. now that is fun stuff. Congratulations on the birthday gifts mister. I am excited to hear how that goes, that is a lot of equalization capabilities.

well let me know about that hu, as it just may be the next one i get in the future...

did you see where i posted that i ordered bassboxpro?

Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-25-2012 11:01 PM:

I got the hu and rca's in today. What fun that was. My initial reaction is very positive. I have a problem in I change multiple things at the same time so it isn't always clear what made the change. The rca's are certainly superior to my old ones. they were the basic cheap knu model. they obviously have much better sheilding. My slight noise issue is gone.

The Pioneer hu....there are entirely too many menus to navigate through. I'm sure I'll get used to them but i'm comparing it to my Eclipse. The Eclipse menus were very simple and direct to the point. To start off...if you are running active....If you buy this hu and run passive you need your fucking head examined. If you're running active....You have to flip a small switch on the bottom and you also have to flip another one to designate that you'll be using the rca's and not a high level through the speaker leads???? Why the hell does this require switches? I remember some of the older Alpine's were like this but I have always found this to be odd. It's real easy to miss that and get the hu installed only to find you have to pull it out of the dash again. No biggie I guess...just make sure you read.

I don't have everything totally dialed in yet or should i say far from dialed in. I managed to get my crossover points and levels set. What a royal pain in the ass. Once again the Eclipse was simple. This is kinda crazy. There are 3 screens I believe in the menu to set the points. The first screen you have to choose the driver. Ok....tweeter. back out and go to the next screen. Choose your crossover point...back out go to the next screen. Choose your slope...back out ...go to the next screen....choose the level.This is bullshit at it's finest. Everything on the Eclipse was done from one screen. I guess once you get evrything set you won't get into those screens very often but I feel the process was severely complicated.

I haven't had the chance to screw with the eq yet but I certainly will tomorrow. I have heard very good things about the auto eq and auto ta. Even with all my frustrations today I will say that with just the crossover points and levels dialed in this hu sounds incredible. I mean it really sounds amazing.The eclipse sounded kind of dull by comparison. The extra level of detail in the music is obvious as soon as you hear it. I am rather anxious to see what the eq and ta will do to the sound. It will get even better I'm sure.

Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-27-2012 02:11 PM:

I ran the auto eq and auto ta. The auto eq sucks. It lowered my sub level to -15 and softened my slopes to all hell. The music lost the punch even after I raised the sub level back up where I like it. I guess the good thing is that you can run the auto eq and then you can alter it to your taste.

The auto ta was spot on. It really kicks ass. There is a funky setup process to get it started but after you run it it's a no brainer. I still think I could have done evrything manually and got the same results. For someone that's not too experienced setting up an active setup it will help.

further impressions. This hu kicks serious ass. The sound is incredible. I have some gripes but they are all things I can easily live with. The menus are funky and complicated. I was a little frustrated at first but I'm already zooming around in them like nothing. If you want a serious sq hu and you have patience buy one. You will absolutely love it. 

Posted by DCaudeo on 05-27-2012 02:20 PM:

I don't have patience for that. If it was a set it and forget it kind of thing I might get by, but if I have to do it very much, like if the battery dies and I lose my settings, I'd end up yanking the deck and selling it.

I'm still running the same deck I've had for the last 11 years. It was a couple of years old when I got it. Pioneer lasts a long time. I have never really looked to see what else is out there. But I'm starting to think I may want to.

Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-27-2012 03:21 PM:

Nothing ventured nothing gained DC. I am a tweaker. that's for sure.

Posted by GILLETTE on 05-27-2012 03:29 PM:

its an addiction, once you go active with the kind of control we are taking about you cant get enough, well i cant, i am always changing things up, its nice to just make a few changes to get a little different sound once in a while, keeps it fresh.  and you can set it and leave it if you want, but you wont,  after a few days you will want to play God with your system and change and control everything how you want. 

i find that each band or company has different recording methods and quality levels and so i find my self sometimes tuning depending on what media i am using or who im listening to.  its amazing.  eventually i will come to a set setting after a while of playing and that is basically the best setup which i leave it on for the most part but anytime a change in equipment is make the entire tuning process starts over i love it. 

larry glad to hear everything is going good, my alpine has the funny switch on the bottom to engage the active controls, i figured that part out fast too!!!!

Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-27-2012 08:51 PM:

What kinda blew my mind about it was the switch is on the bottom to run active but you have to dig through a menu within the hu to turn off the internal amp?????

Posted by DCaudeo on 05-27-2012 09:19 PM:

I'm a tweaker too. I do that to mine every so often. Play it for a while one way, then experiment with other settings, depending on what I'm listening to, and also just to see what it sounds like THIS WAY, and so on.

What it is, is that it has to be easy to do. If it's complex and hard to do then I don't like it. I'm known to tweak while driving, therefore it must be easy and fast. LOL. I know I shouldn't do that, but I have before.

I would love 16 bands of EQ. But I'd like it better if it were the old slide bands, or rotary knobs. HAHA.

Larry, can I get your email address?? If so, send it to me through facebook. I emailed Wired earlier about heading back to the old site. Thanks.

RE:
Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-27-2012 11:16 PM:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-27-2012 by DCaudeo
I'm a tweaker too. I do that to mine every so often. Play it for a while one way, then experiment with other settings, depending on what I'm listening to, and also just to see what it sounds like THIS WAY, and so on.

What it is, is that it has to be easy to do. If it's complex and hard to do then I don't like it. I'm known to tweak while driving, therefore it must be easy and fast. LOL. I know I shouldn't do that, but I have before.

I would love 16 bands of EQ. But I'd like it better if it were the old slide bands, or rotary knobs. HAHA.

Larry, can I get your email address?? If so, send it to me through facebook. I emailed Wired earlier about heading back to the old site. Thanks.

Yeah....you don't want to screw with something like this on the fly.You better be parked. To clarify....It's not 16 band eq.....maybe it is depending on how you think about it. It's 16 left and right. You can adjust them together or separate. Yes DC....I'll send it through fb. I would love to give the site another shot and guarantee....My homeboy Gillettte will be there.

Posted by GILLETTE on 05-28-2012 03:12 PM:

sure i will, where are we going????

RE:
Posted by larrypeters86 on 05-28-2012 08:27 PM:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-28-2012 by GILLETTE

sure i will, where are we going????

Sending you a pm. Check your email.

considering the DEH-80prs
Posted by Luther on 10-03-2013 08:23 AM:

Larry - long time no see! The display on my pioneer 860bt is dying, so I'm considering replacing with the 80prs and finally doing the active program. So after having the 80prs, are you still using it? Do you recommend it? thanks for info, Luther