Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > budget amp dilemma
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
brettweir

budget amp dilemma: hifonics, lightning audio, or profile?

hello, i've been a lurker for some time now, and i'm a n00b (albeit a somewhat informed n00b) when it comes to car stereo. anyhow, i'm trying to determine which of the following 3 options i should go with in terms of amps: hifonics zeus zx8000 5ch amp, 4x50w rms (ch 1-4), 1x200w (ch 5) @ 4 ohms, 2x50A fuse, $200 shipped lightning audio strike s5.700 5ch amp, 2x75w rms (ch 1-2), 2x45w rms (ch 3-4), 1x250w rms @ 4 ohms, 2x20A + 2x25A fuse, $170 shipped profile ha1040 4ch amp + profile ha700m subwoofer amp, (ha1040 specs) 4x80w rms @ 4 ohms, 2x30A fuse, (ha700m specs) 1x200w rms @ 4 ohms, 1x40A fuse, total $172 shipped the amp(s) will power the following in a 1999 contour sport: (4) pioneer ts-a6880r 4-way 6x8 coax speakers, 10" mtx terminator subwoofer in a ported box, approximately <1.0 cu ft. volume. head unit is undecided, i'm looking at entry-level clarion, jvc, pioneer, and panasonic mp3 decks. please help!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-12-2005 01:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brettweir Click here to Send brettweir a Private Message Find more posts by brettweir Add brettweir to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
korndog

personally i would rather go with the hifonics if you plan on purchasing it retail. If you look for lightning audio on ebay, you can probably get a much lower price for that amp. i got a s4.300 for 50 shipped and a 250.1 mono for 65 shipped, both new, and it puts out more power then a single 5ch lightning audio.

New Post 01-12-2005 01:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for korndog Click here to Send korndog a Private Message Find more posts by korndog Add korndog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettweir

thanks for your reply! all prices are quoted from ebay and/or millionbuy.com. i searched ebay for prices for the lightning audio s300.4 and 250.1, and they were $99 + shipping and $149 + shipping respectively. you must have gotten a hella deal! oh, i misquoted the hifonics amp price, it's $220 shipped. fwiw, my old amp (which i've given to my girlfriend) is a 1 ohm stable 4x50 rms @ 4ohms hifonics taurus-x. i loved that amp. so the hifonics zeus would be worth the $50-60 extra? or should i spend $100 more for a soundstream van gogh? i dunno if i can stretch my budget that far, though. i'm leaning toward a single 5ch amp for convenience and trunk space.

New Post 01-12-2005 02:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brettweir Click here to Send brettweir a Private Message Find more posts by brettweir Add brettweir to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
korndog

this one has a half an hour on it and its at 52 and the shipping is bad, i'd go for it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=5742452208&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5744044528&rd=1

and these amps are not that big, btw. click on my profile to see my lightning audio amps, not big at all imo.

New Post 01-12-2005 02:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for korndog Click here to Send korndog a Private Message Find more posts by korndog Add korndog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettweir

thanks for the links!

New Post 01-12-2005 02:29 PM
brettweir

ok, i won an bid for a lightning audio bolt b400.4 for $31.14 + shipping, so that takes care of my fronts and rears. now i'm trying to decide between the lightning audio bolt b250.1 linked above for $39 + $22 shipping (1x150w rms @ 4 ohms) or a profile ca400m for $56 + $22.99 shipping (1x200w rms @ 4 ohms) for my sub, which is a 10" mtx terminator. in addition, my brother said he might let me have his 10" jl audio sub. please advise!

New Post 01-13-2005 05:44 PM
teamlsrmaxima

get the lightning auido amp and get the JL Audio from ya bro....and will the sub be 4 ohm? so you can bridge the amp to get the ouput at 4 OHM?

New Post 01-13-2005 05:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for teamlsrmaxima Click here to Send teamlsrmaxima a Private Message Find more posts by teamlsrmaxima Add teamlsrmaxima to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettweir

the jl audio sub is 4 ohm. i'm looking at mono amps for the sub, so they can't be bridged. additionally, i'm intrigued by these factory refurbished deals direct from profile: 400msx, 1x200w rms @ 4 ohms, 2x20A fuse, $60 shipped; 600 msx, 1x300w rms @ 4 ohms, 3x20A fuse, $70 shipped. is lightning audio really that much better than profile? i know rockford makes lightning audio, but i've seen praise for the profile amps as well. thanks for everyone's help and input!

New Post 01-13-2005 07:04 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting