Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > pioneer, clarion, or alpine
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
smurfsriot

pioneer, clarion, or alpine

I currently have 2 10' jl 10w0 subs running to a lanzar 800watt 2 channel amp (I know you guys hate lanzar but it sounds really good for the price). I have 2 pioneer 6x9's in the front, 2 pioneer 6.5's and 2 4' kenwood in the rear. The front and rear speakers aren't running to an amp, but I will soon be purchasing an amp for them. My first step is to get a new HU, I was deciding between The Clarion DXZ945MP, Alpine CDA09831, or the Pioneer DEH-860MP. I know they are all great HU's but does one stand out more than the other? Or does it just come down to personal preferances?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-17-2005 09:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for smurfsriot Click here to Send smurfsriot a Private Message Find more posts by smurfsriot Add smurfsriot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smurfsriot

what i really want is opinions. Everyone that has owned and alpine says alpine is the best. Everyone that has owned a clarion says clarion is the best.....etc. People say Alpine rules the comp market but I've seen comps won with jvc and kenwood HU's. So, does it really just come down to personal likes? I know this question has come up numerous times, but in my instance, with the 3 HU's I mentioned, HONESTLY WITHOUT BIAS, does one stand out more than the other?

New Post 02-18-2005 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smurfsriot Click here to Send smurfsriot a Private Message Find more posts by smurfsriot Add smurfsriot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettweir

I'd say between the three you are choosing, it would be largely a matter of personal preference. Just pick one based upon the features you like best.

New Post 02-18-2005 09:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brettweir Click here to Send brettweir a Private Message Find more posts by brettweir Add brettweir to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theradioclinic

no dude hands down alpine. i carry all 3 units and can definitely here the sound difference. i have owned all 3 and know for a fact alpine is better. not only that but read up on the tests by audio control. they don't have a biest opinion because they have no connection with any head unit company. so if you want great sound go with alpine, if you want good sound quality go with clarion or pioneer.

New Post 02-18-2005 07:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for theradioclinic Click here to Send theradioclinic a Private Message Find more posts by theradioclinic Add theradioclinic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iagrdshaka

All of those HUs are going to sound about the same. The only difference between those would be if one would have better "extras"-better preamp voltage,anti-skip,etc.

New Post 02-19-2005 12:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iagrdshaka Click here to Send iagrdshaka a Private Message Find more posts by iagrdshaka Add iagrdshaka to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theradioclinic

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-19-2005 by iagrdshaka
All of those HUs are going to sound about the same. The only difference between those would be if one would have better "extras"-better preamp voltage,anti-skip,etc.

do some research and get your facts straight

New Post 02-19-2005 01:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for theradioclinic Click here to Send theradioclinic a Private Message Find more posts by theradioclinic Add theradioclinic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brettweir

^^ How about you set up a double-blind test for the 3 decks mentioned, make sure all the levels are matched and no EQ is being used, and come back tell us whether you can tell the difference among the decks with any statistical significance? Make sure you provide the details about how the test was administered.

New Post 02-20-2005 05:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brettweir Click here to Send brettweir a Private Message Find more posts by brettweir Add brettweir to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theradioclinic

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-20-2005 by brettweir
^^ How about you set up a double-blind test for the 3 decks mentioned, make sure all the levels are matched and no EQ is being used, and come back tell us whether you can tell the difference among the decks with any statistical significance? Make sure you provide the details about how the test was administered.

turned the alpine on everything flat, running to a pair of boston acoustic 6x9" turned it up half volume get alot of distortion (really crappy sound) which i expected from all the other times i've messed with a pioneer (garbage). turned the clarion set the same way half volume, not everything sounds real flat. then turn the alpine on huge difference, now don't get me wrong clarion makes a good unit i like the clarion stuff. the alpine just has better sound but no matter what i say you are still going to argue. so why don't you do the test. i have turned all my friends into believers because i showed them so you run it and then tell me if you hear the difference. and as far as the pioneer stereo's go the only thing they have going for them is there tuners other than that THEY ARE GARBAGE.

New Post 02-21-2005 01:27 PM
brettweir

^^ 1) Doesn't sound like a double-blind test. 2) Sounds like you used the head units' amps. 3) Sounds like you didn't really match the levels. 4) Sounds like you ran the Pioneer head unit into clipping, while you didn't run the Clarion or Alpine into clipping. 5) Pick an amp to use, match the levels, set everything to flat, and run the test double-blind and get back to us. Or, make sure you set everything to flat, match the levels, and make sure you're not clipping the amp. 6) I don't have to run the test--you're the one claiming substantial differences. Further, I don't have access to the decks like you apparently do. 7) The great majority of the people here wouldn't be using head unit power anyway.

New Post 02-21-2005 02:12 PM
theradioclinic

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-21-2005 by brettweir
^^ 1) Doesn't sound like a double-blind test. 2) Sounds like you used the head units' amps. 3) Sounds like you didn't really match the levels. 4) Sounds like you ran the Pioneer head unit into clipping, while you didn't run the Clarion or Alpine into clipping. 5) Pick an amp to use, match the levels, set everything to flat, and run the test double-blind and get back to us. Or, make sure you set everything to flat, match the levels, and make sure you're not clipping the amp. 6) I don't have to run the test--you're the one claiming substantial differences. Further, I don't have access to the decks like you apparently do. 7) The great majority of the people here wouldn't be using head unit power anyway.

if you want proof call audio control and ask them which head unit puts out the voltage they claim. alpine is one of the only ones.

New Post 02-21-2005 04:06 PM
brettweir

^^ Irrelevant to whether you ran a double-blind test or not. Also irrelevant to whether you can tell the difference among the decks if all levels are matched, no EQ or other sound processing is used, and the decks aren't clipping. If the install is quiet, whether the preout voltage is 2v, 4v, or 8v doesn't matter a whole lot, contrary to what many people here seem to believe. Not to say that high-voltage preouts aren't a nice thing to have--they are. But they're not that big of a deal.

New Post 02-21-2005 05:16 PM
smgreen20

To theradioclinic, Clarions 9255 new or old, ... lets see ANY other HU touch it! Denon, Mac, Nak.... Deosn't matter. I read a report, NOT a review, on the older 9255, was put up against the top of the top, and by an unbiased vote it kicked everyones ass. I'll have to do some major digging to find that issue. Those two units were rated the best HU made in there time, and the DRZ9255 is current. So in a way, one could say it's the best HU today. DO NOT quote me as saying that it is. I did not state that, just mearly one could assume.

New Post 02-21-2005 09:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for smgreen20 Click here to Send smgreen20 a Private Message Find more posts by smgreen20 Add smgreen20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theradioclinic

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-21-2005 by smgreen20
To theradioclinic, Clarions 9255 new or old, ... lets see ANY other HU touch it! Denon, Mac, Nak.... Deosn't matter. I read a report, NOT a review, on the older 9255, was put up against the top of the top, and by an unbiased vote it kicked everyones ass. I'll have to do some major digging to find that issue. Those two units were rated the best HU made in there time, and the DRZ9255 is current. So in a way, one could say it's the best HU today. DO NOT quote me as saying that it is. I did not state that, just mearly one could assume.

that model is bad ass just really over priced i will agree though it is a good unit. what about the alpine 7998.

New Post 02-22-2005 10:31 AM
theradioclinic

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-21-2005 by brettweir
^^ Irrelevant to whether you ran a double-blind test or not. Also irrelevant to whether you can tell the difference among the decks if all levels are matched, no EQ or other sound processing is used, and the decks aren't clipping. If the install is quiet, whether the preout voltage is 2v, 4v, or 8v doesn't matter a whole lot, contrary to what many people here seem to believe. Not to say that high-voltage preouts aren't a nice thing to have--they are. But they're not that big of a deal.

signal is a huge deal and as far as using the head units amp yes i did. and if the unit starts distorting at half volume what does that say about the stereo. plus if you don't havr access to these units and don't mess with them everyday what makes you think you know so much about them. i sell and install these units everyday. so quit showing your ignorance.

New Post 02-22-2005 10:34 AM
brettweir

^^ Ignorance? You're showing yours by not doing proper testing procedures. Of course a unit that's clipping will sound bad compared with one that is not. The point is, can you tell the difference in a double-blind test between unit A and unit B when the levels are matched, the units are not clipping, and no EQ or other sound processing is used? Further, the fact that one deck sounded distorted at "half volume" while the other did not merely suggests one of two things: 1) one deck had a less powerful amp section, and therefore is driven into clipping easier, or 2) one deck's volume control increases gain faster than the other deck's. Neither speaks to sound quality of both decks when both decks are not clipping. Try again, dude. What makes me think I know so much about the decks? I've done a lot of research into what people actually can hear, as opposed to what they think they can hear. Tell me, why hasn't anyone taken Richard Clark's money yet?

New Post 02-22-2005 01:48 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting