Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > What is a Speaker?
Go Back Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Whatitwas

What is a Speaker?

Does anyone really know what a speaker is? Here is a short and sweet version. A speaker is a metal structure with a cone and surround. This cone is attached to a device that connects it to a coil. This coil is made of copper wire. The copper wire is then surrounded in essence by a magnet. The speaker is driven by an alternating current produced by an amplifier.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 03-31-2005 07:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Whatitwas Click here to Send Whatitwas a Private Message Find more posts by Whatitwas Add Whatitwas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whatitwas

Next question. How many ways can you change the composition of a speaker? Verry few ways. Different cone material, different amount of wire wraps, different strength of magnet, and different surround. There are a few other ways, but these are the basics.

New Post 03-31-2005 07:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Whatitwas Click here to Send Whatitwas a Private Message Find more posts by Whatitwas Add Whatitwas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whatitwas

Next question. What does this mean to you? Speakers are in essence the same. They are one of the least concerns if you are starting out your system. The best advice you can ask for is what amplifier do you choose. If you consider the most expensive piece of equipment in your system is or should be your amplifier. You can make a crappy speaker sound good with a bad ass amp. The only thing that you need know with this advice is practice self controll. Just because the amp can go higher or the radio can be cranked up a few more notches doesn't mean your sub will get louder. A bad ass amp will last for many years.

New Post 03-31-2005 07:35 PM
Whatitwas

Order of importance...1.) Amplifier, close second is 2.) box, 3.) Speaker (box made for individual speaker)

New Post 03-31-2005 07:44 PM
audeogod

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-31-2005 by Whatitwas
Order of importance...1.) Amplifier, close second is 2.) box, 3.) Speaker (box made for individual speaker)

Yeah, maybe on a sub, but I ain't buyin' that when it comes to mids and highs.

Speaker materials, in my book, are EVERYTHING when it comes to the actual sounds you hear. I agree on the amp being very important so quality should not be sacrificed. The more step ups the signal goes through the cleaner the overall sound will be. Lesser step ups to get the same power output will distort the signal. Internal circuitry of the amp needs to be of high quality components so the sounds you hear do come out clean and undistorted, as well as last for years and years without failure.

But that speaker has to be able to respond to the signal being sent(coil and magnet relationship along with surround and spider being flexible but durable enough to handle it). I do not agree that you can make crappy speakers sound good with killer amps. If so then why did a pair of Jensen 3-way 6x9's still sound like ass when I had them hooked up to a Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a2? No bass and muddy muffled mids, and a complete lack of treble was the response I got. And this amp when hooked up to a 12" subwoofer absolutely pounds the livin' shit out of it. So bass shouldn't have been a problem on the 6x9's, but it was.

One other thing on speaker materials. Poly, aluminum, titanium, paper, rubber, cloth, foam, urethane, mylar, silk, and many other unpronouncable and otherwise unspellable words (polybenzo......ite....see some of the Kenwoods and you'll get the picture) that these companies are using to make speakers ALL change the entire sound of the speaker itself, no matter what amp is being used. 15 different speakers all tested on the same amp can and most likely will come out all sounding different in some ways. Too much midrange, not enough bass, not enough midrange, too much bass, too tinny sounding, too high pitched, treble is too harsh/too soft/just right. It goes on and on and on.

Then you have frequency responses, sensitivities, wattage handling, and physical construction factors that affect excursion like hi-roll surrounds and bumped back plates. Magnetic flux density of the magnet will affect it too. People see a cheap speaker with a huge magnet and automatically think it will be awesome, but I've seen speakers with smaller magnets outperform speakers with huge ones. Density is everything in a magnet. Size is not.

Yeah, to me, the speakers are the first and foremost priority in any and every system I have built. The rest is built around them.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for audeogod Click here to Send audeogod a Private Message Find more posts by audeogod Add audeogod to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whatitwas

Rockford amps are distorted as hell. Look at their published specs. I am not saying speakers hold no importance. And man I don't know if you have ever used real equipment, such as Focal, Dyne, Zapco...But you can make a pair of Infinity kappas sound better than Focal Utopias if you are running a BS amp. Tell me I am wrong.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:19 PM
Whatitwas

My main audience and I should have been more clear, is the subwoofer finatics. Mids and highs are a little different story, but the amp remains primary importance.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:22 PM
Whatitwas

You obviously must know how to set the amplifier to achieve great sound quality. I am sorry your WallMart 6x9s sounded bad on your BestBuy amp.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:25 PM
audeogod

RE:

quote:
Rockford amps are distorted as hell. Look at their published specs. I am not saying speakers hold no importance. And man I don't know if you have ever used real equipment, such as Focal, Dyne, Zapco...But you can make a pair of Infinity kappas sound better than Focal Utopias if you are running a BS amp. Tell me I am wrong.

Basically what I am saying is an amp supplies power to a speaker. If the power is clean and undistorted, then an amp is an amp is an amp, and the speaker cannot tell the difference. It just plays the signal sent to it. What you actually hear is directly dependant on the speaker, not the amp.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for audeogod Click here to Send audeogod a Private Message Find more posts by audeogod Add audeogod to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whatitwas

You know that is exactly what all of my 16 year old customers tell me too, you must be right. Now is there anyone else out there who would like to add their professional opinion.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:29 PM
highrollin74

So are you trying to say that a Pyle or a Legacy sub can perform just as well as a DD or a JL.Granted there the same principal,the better subs use better coils,magnets,surrounds,cones,everything.And I agree that the amps has something to do with sq,but if an amp put out a true 300wrms,its just as good as any other 300wrms amp as far as sq goes.Power is power,regardless what it comes from.The quality of components only affects longevity.However,even knowing that,I would still choose a US Amps over a Jensen,even if they were the exact same true rms power.And for component,the small differences are very significant,thats why you dont see Boss components in winning SQ cars.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for highrollin74 Click here to Send highrollin74 a Private Message Find more posts by highrollin74 Add highrollin74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
audeogod

RE:

quote:
You obviously must know how to set the amplifier to achieve great sound quality. I am sorry your WallMart 6x9s sounded bad on your BestBuy amp.

Yeah, you gotta know how to set it. Gain and crossover point are the only settings though. What else is there? Once you got the gain matched to the HU's voltage output, and the crossover points set to match the speaker's ability to play, then there is nothing else. The speaker has to make up the rest from here on out.

New Post 03-31-2005 08:30 PM
Whatitwas

Did you know that you can plug a speaker into your wall socket and it will play about a 60 htz note. How is that for an amp. 110 volt AC current

New Post 03-31-2005 08:31 PM
audeogod

RE:

quote:
Did you know that you can plug a speaker into your wall socket and it will play about a 60 htz note. How is that for an amp. 110 volt AC current

Yeah, but it better be able to handle 3600 watts or you'll smoke it. 120 volts/4 ohms = 30 amps. 30 amps x 120 volts = 3600 watts, and that's in RMS watts too, not PEAK. And most breakers in your home are 20 amp or less. 30 amps will trip it. And by the way, it takes less than 1 amp through your heart to stop it beating. 30 amps can kill you instantly.

Basically, you better know what you are doing before you try it, and I don't recommend doing it at all. Posting that kind of information where young people can see it is just going to get someone hurt or burn down someone's house when they go home and try it cause they read it here. I am a licensed electrician and I can tell you first hand what an electric shock can do to the human body. What does posting this prove anyway?

New Post 03-31-2005 08:34 PM
Whatitwas

Ok for clarity sake...There are better speakers than others. No questions asked. For a professional the speaker is of major importance. There are many factors that play into a good sounding system. This thread is designed for the guys who are like "Well guys i just bought a JLW7 now I can't afford a good amp so here goes my BOSS 24000 watt amp."

New Post 03-31-2005 08:35 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting