Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Tweek Ohm's with Resistor?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zuby1

Tweek Ohm's with Resistor?

I've always wondered and now that I found this place I thought I should ask... If you had two pairs of 4 ohm spkrs and wanted to run them on the same channel but the amp would not handle 2 Ohms, could you wire the spkrs parallel and add a 6 Ohm resistor in series to achieve the desired 4 Ohms? If yes, does the type of resistor matter? What would this affect performance and is this a better setup than wiring the pair of spkrs in series at 8 Ohms without the resistor? Thanks in advance for your help.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-06-2003 04:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zuby1 Click here to Send zuby1 a Private Message Find more posts by zuby1 Add zuby1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MP3Hombre

Forget the resistor, it's useless. Instead use a parallel series combination. First, wire each pair in parallel(result: 2 ohms), then wire the pairs in series, that'll give you 4 ohms.

New Post 05-06-2003 05:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MP3Hombre Click here to Send MP3Hombre a Private Message Find more posts by MP3Hombre Add MP3Hombre to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zuby1

Like This?

... or, go here if this board does not support html: http://www.madcowpc.com/images/diagram.gif Thanks for all the help. I would have never thought of that myself.

New Post 05-07-2003 12:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zuby1 Click here to Send zuby1 a Private Message Find more posts by zuby1 Add zuby1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MP3Hombre

RE: Like This?

quote:
Originally posted on 05-07-2003 by zuby1
... or, go here if this board does not support html: http://www.madcowpc.com/images/diagram.gif Thanks for all the help. I would have never thought of that myself.

No, that's not it.This... +(pos){two speakers wired in parallel}(neg)- +(pos){two speakers wired in parallel}(neg)-

New Post 05-07-2003 11:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MP3Hombre Click here to Send MP3Hombre a Private Message Find more posts by MP3Hombre Add MP3Hombre to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MP3Hombre

OK. Check this out http://www.eatel.net/~stentorian/elecdisc/spk4sp4.gif

New Post 05-07-2003 06:36 PM
zuby1

OK, but... thats two pair on one channel

I've got two pairs (on two channels)total

New Post 05-08-2003 02:05 AM
MP3Hombre

RE: OK, but... thats two pair on one channel

quote:
Originally posted on 05-08-2003 by zuby1
I've got two pairs (on two channels)total

OK.I get it. You want to run two speakers per channel.
Sorry, no can't do. The wiring shown in the fig. is the only way IF your amp can be bridged.

New Post 05-08-2003 01:24 PM
abnjmdan

wow... help me now???

Please help? I just purchased a OBCON 102.88JW prefab enclosure for my 2002 jeep wrangler. Here are its specs: Enclosure Type: sealed Subwoofer Opening Size: 10" Number of Subwoofers: 2 Enclosure Material: MDF w/ plexi Speaker Terminal Type: binding posts Sealed Chamber Volume: 1.76 total cu. ft. (0.88 cu. ft. per speaker) The enclosure ports are down firing. This enclosure goes behind the rear seat. I would like to put two 10" Kicker Compvr (03CVR104) subs in the enclosure. Here are the speakers specs: (trying to make this easy for ya!) but havent purchased yet. mica-filled polymineral cone Santoprene rubber surround dual 2-ohm or 4-ohm voice coils (need to know which???) frequency response 25-500 Hz power range 50-300 watts RMS (150 watts RMS per coil) peak power handling 600 watts sensitivity 85.6 dB SPL top-mount depth 5-1/16" sealed box volume 0.8-3.0 cubic feet ported box volume 1.25-1.75 cubic feet 1-year warranty I am considering two different amps. One is the Kicker KX 300.2 and the other is the Kicker KX 600.1. Here are their specs: KX 300.2 RMS Power: 75W x 2 @ 13.8V Bridged RMS Power: 300W x 1 @ 13.8V THD at Rated RMS Power: 0.085% Speaker Level Inputs: Yes Preamp Outputs: Yes Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP Bass Boost: 0-18 dB Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz Channel Separation: n/a Signal to Noise Ratio: >95 dB Fuse Rating: 2 x 25 amps KX 600.1 Amplifier Type: Mono RMS Power: 300W x 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS Power: 600W x 1 @ 2 Ohms THD at Rated RMS Power: 1.5% Speaker Level Inputs: Yes Preamp Outputs: Yes Built-In Crossovers: LP Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB Frequency Response: 20-200 Hz Channel Separation: n/a Signal to Noise Ratio: >95 dB Fuse Rating: 2 x 30 amps I am assuming both would work, depending on the ohm of the speakers and the wiring (series or parallel). I have researched this to the point of no avail. I see that some people are smart on this stuff, and others I am getting conflicting information. I sincerely hope you can give me the real deal. My questions are what amp should I use??? And my wiring possibilities with what ohm speakers and amp selection??? Also, if the speakers are dual voice coils, does that double the ohm rating from the specs??? I am a total newby when it comes to buying audio equipment, as this is my first after market audio project. I would like to stay with kicker all around, unless there is something better to be utilized for my current plan. Please help so I can purchase!!! Thank you so very much for your time. Dan

New Post 05-13-2003 01:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for abnjmdan Click here to Send abnjmdan a Private Message Find more posts by abnjmdan Add abnjmdan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting