Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > First satisfied customer... custom components... review to come...
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
OlogyAudio

First satisfied customer... custom components... review to come...

As the subject says! NICE! first step done with -- hopefully it will be a little easier from here on out to convince people that it IS THE BEST IDEA to get custom components if you are looking for the best bang for the buck...

http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?tid=19010&fid=3

There’s the man... My first sale :) If you are curious about custom components there are links on that page (and links on the page where the link goes to if you want more in-depth technical information...)

Tuesday a 2nd install is going in and there will be a second review to come... All I ask from anyone that gets custom sets is that you take pictures and write a review... If you can get around to a small local shop to try and convince them it is a good idea to carry my product that would be awesome but by no means required...

My AIM is OlogyAudio and my Email is OlogyAudio@CarAudio.com if you are interested in custom components. Feel free to ask questions.

Much more info to come...

Dylan Matlow – Ology Audio

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-23-2005 06:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for OlogyAudio Click here to Send OlogyAudio a Private Message Find more posts by OlogyAudio Add OlogyAudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OlogyAudio

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-23-2005 by hornedfrog2000
Don't mean to sound like a newb, but I have one question on my mind. What is the difference between comps, and coaxials. Like is it just that the fact that comps can be imaged real, and staged good, or do the coaxials not handle the mid bass as well? Thanks, James.

Coax means that the tweeter and the midwoofer have the same acoustic center in the x,y axis atleast... Components just let you put the tweeter where you want for the sound stage. Oh yea BTW there aren't that many good coax speakers out there... you can always make a component coax though... if you need to.... just tweeter location is the main diffrence...

New Post 07-23-2005 11:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for OlogyAudio Click here to Send OlogyAudio a Private Message Find more posts by OlogyAudio Add OlogyAudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
audeogod

Hey Ology, when you get rich and famous, don't forget I knew you(internet wise) before that! I'm your friend(uh...yeah, yeah, that's right...yeah, friends, we is friends and all).

Seriously though congrats on getting started. Good luck with the company. I went and read the thread where you were talking to ouchie about the custom components just to get an idea what it's all about and also for fun. Wasn't much fun cause it was technical talk sort of, but it was informative anyway.

A few years from now, it would be cool to say that I know the "president" of a local(KY state, yeah I live here too) car audio company. I'm located in Flatwoods in Greenup Co. near Ashland.

New Post 07-23-2005 11:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for audeogod Click here to Send audeogod a Private Message Find more posts by audeogod Add audeogod to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OlogyAudio

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-23-2005 by audeogod
Hey Ology, when you get rich and famous, don't forget I knew you(internet wise) before that! I'm your friend(uh...yeah, yeah, that's right...yeah, friends, we is friends and all).

Seriously though congrats on getting started. Good luck with the company. I went and read the thread where you were talking to ouchie about the custom components just to get an idea what it's all about and also for fun. Wasn't much fun cause it was technical talk sort of, but it was informative anyway.

A few years from now, it would be cool to say that I know the "president" of a local(KY state, yeah I live here too) car audio company. I'm located in Flatwoods in Greenup Co. near Ashland.

Ah cool! 'Home' is Shepherdsville Ky -- Durring the year it is Columbus OH though -- great Engineering school (OSU)... I wonder if I can call the buisness a summer internship lmao (and get credit for it)... I doubt it...

New Post 07-24-2005 12:49 AM
ouchie

Hey, it does sound amazing.

I'll be writing a full writeup with pics when I get the sub box built for this car. The current box is from another car and not very pleasing to the eye. I have a lot of pictures of the process, so it should give everone a good idea as to what to expect. The component set is amazingly clean and deliver great SQ. The crossovers Dylan built seem to be perfectly designed to maximize the combination.

Full review to come!

J

New Post 07-24-2005 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ouchie Click here to Send ouchie a Private Message Find more posts by ouchie Add ouchie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
audeogod

Yeah, I'd love to read that review and see some pics. You might even be talking me into a set myself. That is if he still sells them when I'm ready and of course for a good price. Not in the upper hundreds.

Ology, what do you use for a housing on the crossover?? Is there a crossover for each channel, left and right, or does one unit do it all(two built together)??

New Post 07-24-2005 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for audeogod Click here to Send audeogod a Private Message Find more posts by audeogod Add audeogod to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ouchie

If you did notice, I did a full writeup here-

Review

J

New Post 07-30-2005 10:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ouchie Click here to Send ouchie a Private Message Find more posts by ouchie Add ouchie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OlogyAudio

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-24-2005 by audeogod
Yeah, I'd love to read that review and see some pics. You might even be talking me into a set myself. That is if he still sells them when I'm ready and of course for a good price. Not in the upper hundreds.

Ology, what do you use for a housing on the crossover?? Is there a crossover for each channel, left and right, or does one unit do it all(two built together)??

one large board for each driver :) not enclosed in anything unless you wanted it to be... These prototypes are bare minimum -- other than complete functionality -- anything more than that you can do yourself or I can do it just pay for some time :) -- how long of a wait till you will be getting components btw?

New Post 07-30-2005 10:38 PM
*ICEMAN*

Ok you make and sell speakers and crossovers? You got some prices? I have 4, 5.25 and 4, tweets there Focal but I want somthing louder can you produce? If so e-mail me.

New Post 07-31-2005 12:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for *ICEMAN* Click here to Send *ICEMAN* a Private Message Find more posts by *ICEMAN* Add *ICEMAN* to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
audeogod

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-30-2005 by OlogyAudio
one large board for each driver :) not enclosed in anything unless you wanted it to be... These prototypes are bare minimum -- other than complete functionality -- anything more than that you can do yourself or I can do it just pay for some time :) -- how long of a wait till you will be getting components btw?

Well, I really don't know for sure. The car I would want to do it in is having problems with the braking system and the ABS as well. All brakes still but two separate problems. And I'm not sure if I'm gonna get it fixed or just buy a new Kia Sorento SUV. After all the car has 140,000 miles on it. If I get the car fixed and keep it, I'll want a system in it for sure, but if I get a new Kia, it'll be after the first of the year to get that and I'll want something in it too, but that's then not now. Realisticly, I'm probably looking at about next March(tax refund) before I can do a system in the car, whether or not it's a new Sorento or my same old car.

Assuming I get the car straightened out I have a question or two. I looked at ouchie's install and read his review. It all sounds like it would be great of course. And the 6.5's he used look freakin' fantastic! I'd love a set. But he mounted his in the kickpanels and it looks like they are not only NOT aiming upwards at the listening position, but also are kind of up under the dash half hidden. Isn't that a bad design according to the "car audio rules" to have a driver THAT concealed and covered over?? It looks like you wouldn't get enough sound from it cause it's not exposed enough.

That's what I was wanting to ask about. If his work and sound as good as he says like that, then couldn't I put mine in the doors instead of kickpanels and get great results too?? Mine would be up higher in the car, about mid calf high, just below the knee and way more exposed to hear than where his are at. That's the factory speaker location for a Chrysler Cirrus, 98 model, and the car says it has 7" speakers in the doors. I'm assuming that's a 6 3/4" speaker, but all the books I see say 7". I've been told they'd sound better moved to the kicks, but I just don't want to do that for the purposes of fabricating them, room it takes up, time it takes to do it, and the hassle of it all. They just gotta go in the doors.

This car also has factory located 3.5's in the dash. Could that be used as a tweeter mount instead?? Or am I getting the imaging all messed up by putting them there?? The two speakers(mid and tweeter) would not be on the same axis at all. One will be firing sideways at my leg and the other will be firing upwards at the windshield and reflecting the sound back to me. If this can't be done, it's not a big deal. There's a factory tweeter location right next to the door speaker that's not being used and it's all behind the same grill so it's all stealth too. I have room there for at least a 1" tweeter. Also the sailpanels up by the mirrors are flat and usable to surface mount some. Maybe even flush mounted.

The car also has rear 6x9's, but I already know what you say about those. Ditch 'em and go with.........nothing at all, except maybe some subs or a pair of 8" lowpassed only.

And is it necessary to use an amp with these or can it be done with deck power?? Not a huge deal either, I have room for amps. Just not sure how much my ears can take volume wise. Had to take my amp out of my truck and go back to deck power cause it was ear splitting at the volume I liked.

Also, I read that ouchie has 4 crossovers, 2 highpassed and 2 lowpassed. Is there a way to make them so that a high and low are together and can use one input pair of wires and have two outputs, low and high?? That way, it's not such a hassle mounting all of them in and parallel wiring them and all. You'll only have two crossover units instead of four, and they'll work similarly to aftermarket crossovers with the connections.

Thanks for the info, if you respond back. By the way ouchie, it all looks great!

New Post 07-31-2005 02:06 AM
OlogyAudio

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-31-2005 by audeogod
Well, I really don't know for sure. The car I would want to do it in is having problems with the braking system and the ABS as well. All brakes still but two separate problems. And I'm not sure if I'm gonna get it fixed or just buy a new Kia Sorento SUV. After all the car has 140,000 miles on it. If I get the car fixed and keep it, I'll want a system in it for sure, but if I get a new Kia, it'll be after the first of the year to get that and I'll want something in it too, but that's then not now. Realisticly, I'm probably looking at about next March(tax refund) before I can do a system in the car, whether or not it's a new Sorento or my same old car.

Assuming I get the car straightened out I have a question or two. I looked at ouchie's install and read his review. It all sounds like it would be great of course. And the 6.5's he used look freakin' fantastic! I'd love a set. But he mounted his in the kickpanels and it looks like they are not only NOT aiming upwards at the listening position, but also are kind of up under the dash half hidden. Isn't that a bad design according to the "car audio rules" to have a driver THAT concealed and covered over?? It looks like you wouldn't get enough sound from it cause it's not exposed enough.

That's what I was wanting to ask about. If his work and sound as good as he says like that, then couldn't I put mine in the doors instead of kickpanels and get great results too?? Mine would be up higher in the car, about mid calf high, just below the knee and way more exposed to hear than where his are at. That's the factory speaker location for a Chrysler Cirrus, 98 model, and the car says it has 7" speakers in the doors. I'm assuming that's a 6 3/4" speaker, but all the books I see say 7". I've been told they'd sound better moved to the kicks, but I just don't want to do that for the purposes of fabricating them, room it takes up, time it takes to do it, and the hassle of it all. They just gotta go in the doors.

This car also has factory located 3.5's in the dash. Could that be used as a tweeter mount instead?? Or am I getting the imaging all messed up by putting them there?? The two speakers(mid and tweeter) would not be on the same axis at all. One will be firing sideways at my leg and the other will be firing upwards at the windshield and reflecting the sound back to me. If this can't be done, it's not a big deal. There's a factory tweeter location right next to the door speaker that's not being used and it's all behind the same grill so it's all stealth too. I have room there for at least a 1" tweeter. Also the sailpanels up by the mirrors are flat and usable to surface mount some. Maybe even flush mounted.

The car also has rear 6x9's, but I already know what you say about those. Ditch 'em and go with.........nothing at all, except maybe some subs or a pair of 8" lowpassed only.

And is it necessary to use an amp with these or can it be done with deck power?? Not a huge deal either, I have room for amps. Just not sure how much my ears can take volume wise. Had to take my amp out of my truck and go back to deck power cause it was ear splitting at the volume I liked.

Also, I read that ouchie has 4 crossovers, 2 highpassed and 2 lowpassed. Is there a way to make them so that a high and low are together and can use one input pair of wires and have two outputs, low and high?? That way, it's not such a hassle mounting all of them in and parallel wiring them and all. You'll only have two crossover units instead of four, and they'll work similarly to aftermarket crossovers with the connections.

Thanks for the info, if you respond back. By the way ouchie, it all looks great!

well you just connect the outputs of the amp to one tweeter highpass and one midwoofer lowpass in parallel... I could solder the leads though together so you don't have to worry about paralleling them though no problem :) The drivers I'd suggest are the 6" and 7" actually... there is no 6.5" variety. Odds are if you have a 5.25" location you would be able to fit a 6" ... if you have a 6.5" odds are you can fit a 7" and if not ya can just sit a 6" is the idea :) The tweeter :could: go in the 3.5" locations.... but I'd stick them as close to the midwoofers as possible... also you should point the midwoofers near the listener (30 degrees off axis is fine... same with the tweeters)... however these sound pretty good 80 degrees off axis anyways -- and the xover is optimized in such a way that crappier installs aren't as big a deal because I know how lazy people are :) Tons of different install options though if you want to install properly though... pointed AT the window though............ heh...... could be interesting actually... they have a very wide radiation pattern and that would create a very wide soundstage.... I'd stick them in the doors though... you can always set them somewhere before you mount them and try things :)

New Post 07-31-2005 02:34 AM
audeogod

RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-31-2005 by OlogyAudio
well you just connect the outputs of the amp to one tweeter highpass and one midwoofer lowpass in parallel... I could solder the leads though together so you don't have to worry about paralleling them though no problem :) The drivers I'd suggest are the 6" and 7" actually... there is no 6.5" variety. Odds are if you have a 5.25" location you would be able to fit a 6" ... if you have a 6.5" odds are you can fit a 7" and if not ya can just sit a 6" is the idea :) The tweeter :could: go in the 3.5" locations.... but I'd stick them as close to the midwoofers as possible... also you should point the midwoofers near the listener (30 degrees off axis is fine... same with the tweeters)... however these sound pretty good 80 degrees off axis anyways -- and the xover is optimized in such a way that crappier installs aren't as big a deal because I know how lazy people are :) Tons of different install options though if you want to install properly though... pointed AT the window though............ heh...... could be interesting actually... they have a very wide radiation pattern and that would create a very wide soundstage.... I'd stick them in the doors though... you can always set them somewhere before you mount them and try things :)

I'd probably just rather put them in the doors and be done with it. Especially if they would be better nearer to the woofer. Easier that way, than trying to pull out the whole dash top. Yeah it has to come out to get to the speakers there. I'd just cut the wires and leave them in there.

Don't know if I'm lazy or not. I am about a lot of things, but also I work all the time anymore and do things the long way sometimes to make the end result nicer. But my main concern is stealth and factory look to ward off thieves. Also makes it nice for when people get in and hear it and it's like WOW where's your amps and subs and stuff?? How's this car sound that good with just factory?? And I just laugh and explain it....to trusted friends only of course. Speaking of amps, can I get away with powering a set of speakers like you suggest with just the deck??

New Post 07-31-2005 02:58 AM
OlogyAudio

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-31-2005 by audeogod
I'd probably just rather put them in the doors and be done with it. Especially if they would be better nearer to the woofer. Easier that way, than trying to pull out the whole dash top. Yeah it has to come out to get to the speakers there. I'd just cut the wires and leave them in there.

Don't know if I'm lazy or not. I am about a lot of things, but also I work all the time anymore and do things the long way sometimes to make the end result nicer. But my main concern is stealth and factory look to ward off thieves. Also makes it nice for when people get in and hear it and it's like WOW where's your amps and subs and stuff?? How's this car sound that good with just factory?? And I just laugh and explain it....to trusted friends only of course. Speaking of amps, can I get away with powering a set of speakers like you suggest with just the deck??

what factory radio is in it? not like a bose or monsoon or HK or anything dreadfull like that is it? does it have preouts? does it have a built in EQ... if it has a built in EQ (you have to ask someone that knows what is going on) go find a place that can defeat it (this is a must)

New Post 07-31-2005 12:02 PM
audeogod

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-31-2005 by OlogyAudio
what factory radio is in it? not like a bose or monsoon or HK or anything dreadfull like that is it? does it have preouts? does it have a built in EQ... if it has a built in EQ (you have to ask someone that knows what is going on) go find a place that can defeat it (this is a must)

Well, ok, not totally factory look. I should have said that before. It has a Pioneer DEH-10(same as DEH-1000) from 5 years back in it. I figured that's a common thing to do though is change a deck out so just because someone sees a Pioneer HU doesn't mean it has a lot of other high dollar equipment in it. A thief can look in, see a Pioneer HU and nothing else but a factory look, and assume that's all there is. Pioneer deck with factory speakers only, even though behind the factory grills will actually be some brutal beastly speakers hiding and waiting to be let loose.

The deck does have an EQ in it though. But it can be set to flat and loudness off if need be. The deck has one set of preouts. It also has about 22.5(15 in the real world) RMS watts per channel on 4 channels.

New Post 07-31-2005 07:22 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting