Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Snail Shell Worklog
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pksimon28

Snail Shell Worklog

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Please note that the last pic is me simply testing to see how everything fit. The only thing that is actually connected is the left side and the back. Tomorrow I will sand off the corners to make them smooth and mount the other pieces of the enclosure.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-29-2005 03:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pksimon28 Click here to Send pksimon28 a Private Message Find more posts by pksimon28 Add pksimon28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: RE: Snail Shell Worklog

quote:
Originally posted on 07-29-2005 by PowerAcoustikman
If your trying to clone the P4S one, that design for the inside is wrong. Still nice, but not the snail shell.

Oops, I forgot to post where I got the plans from. I actually got them from someone who bought a snail shell and then took measurements. I will go back and edit my post.

New Post 07-29-2005 03:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pksimon28 Click here to Send pksimon28 a Private Message Find more posts by pksimon28 Add pksimon28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: RE: RE: RE: Snail Shell Worklog

quote:
Originally posted on 07-29-2005 by PowerAcoustikman
Really? The inside is completly different. P4S though offers you a Spread sheet of the design to make on the site. Still its something they do to theirs that makes them really good. I had a Snail Shell about a year ago, thing was plain awesome.

The spread sheet is for the old version, this is the new design. I also know that they curve the internals with bent mdf, but I will also be curving my internals with fiberglass.

New Post 07-29-2005 04:03 AM
DeathByBass

The SS are nothing special at all... there was supposed to be a challenge, a horn, VS an SS, but after the horn was metered, I don't think its going to be happening... challenge was SPL, and SQ... same vehicle, same woofer, same amp... anyway, good luck with it... :)

New Post 07-29-2005 05:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathByBass Click here to Send DeathByBass a Private Message Find more posts by DeathByBass Add DeathByBass to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
60ndown

RE: Snail Shell Worklog

quote:
Originally posted on 07-29-2005 by pksimon28
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Please note that the last pic is me simply testing to see how everything fit. The only thing that is actually connected is the left side and the back. Tomorrow I will sand off the corners to make them smooth and mount the other pieces of the enclosure.

dude! your useing a sewing machine to put a box together?...buy a screwdriver and some screws! crazy desighn? lots of work calcing that, i hope it sounds good....flat! no beating a good sealed box if you ask me... and you didnt!

New Post 07-29-2005 11:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 60ndown Click here to Send 60ndown a Private Message Find more posts by 60ndown Add 60ndown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: RE: Snail Shell Worklog

quote:
Originally posted on 07-29-2005 by 60ndown
dude! your useing a sewing machine to put a box together?...buy a screwdriver and some screws! crazy desighn? lots of work calcing that, i hope it sounds good....flat! no beating a good sealed box if you ask me... and you didnt!

I sure as hell didn't calculate it, I got the design from someone who bought a P4S snail shell for a XXX 12 and then took measurements of the box.

New Post 07-29-2005 12:40 PM
60ndown

RE: RE: RE: Snail Shell Worklog

quote:
Originally posted on 07-29-2005 by pksimon28
I sure as hell didn't calculate it, I got the design from someone who bought a P4S snail shell for a XXX 12 and then took measurements of the box.

one of the pics is in the car!....how does it sound?........... and compared to what?

New Post 07-29-2005 12:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 60ndown Click here to Send 60ndown a Private Message Find more posts by 60ndown Add 60ndown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: RE: RE: RE: Snail Shell Worklog

quote:
Originally posted on 07-29-2005 by 60ndown
one of the pics is in the car!....how does it sound?........... and compared to what?

LOL! Those are the plans I got from the guy who bought the snail shell.

New Post 07-29-2005 12:52 PM
Ryan21

keep it up

Looks good bud, keep us posted on how it turns out. I hope it sounds awsome

New Post 07-29-2005 01:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan21 Click here to Send Ryan21 a Private Message Find more posts by Ryan21 Add Ryan21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

Alright, I finally had some time today to work on the enclosure so here are some more pics:

As of right now all of the major woodworking is done. The next step is to round all of the corners with fiberglass and coat the whole box in resin to ensure that it is perfectly sealed.

New Post 07-31-2005 05:17 PM
Alpine3612

Box is looking really good, what do you use for your cuts?

New Post 07-31-2005 07:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alpine3612 Click here to Send Alpine3612 a Private Message Find more posts by Alpine3612 Add Alpine3612 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-31-2005 by Alpine3612
Box is looking really good, what do you use for your cuts?

I used a table saw to cut the sheet into two strips 12" wide and a one strip 18" wide. Then I used a horizontal bandsaw to cut the 12" pieces. The 18" pieces I just cut with a circular saw and I used the table saw to cut the angle piece. All of these saws and tools were at my dad's work, nothing like using government property to make a box...

New Post 07-31-2005 08:00 PM
spitfirees20

I thought you were a very sq-oriented guy. Aside from more spl, can you explain the advantages of a snail shell box? I thought if anything all they do is make it sound louder and slightly less better than a sealed box.

New Post 07-31-2005 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spitfirees20 Click here to Send spitfirees20 a Private Message Find more posts by spitfirees20 Add spitfirees20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

Well this enclosure is more of an experiment than anything else. Quite frankly I am more than pleased with both the sq and the output of my ported enclosure but I figured I would try this out. Powered4Sound claims that it offers greater output than a ported box but with the bandwidth and flat frequency response of a sealed enclosure. I guess I will have to try it out and see...

New Post 07-31-2005 10:23 PM
DeathByBass

I have heard from people that have them, that they are as loud as a ported box, but with the SQ of a sealed box.. also, a guy bought one, and was asked to say what he thought of it on the P4S forum, so he did, and got banned... because he didn't like the way it sounded... he is now using his old ported box, and the $300 "snail shell" is just sitting there, unused... lol YAY for dodgy businesses!!!

New Post 07-31-2005 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DeathByBass Click here to Send DeathByBass a Private Message Find more posts by DeathByBass Add DeathByBass to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting