Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > SPL amps any good?
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lock_Up

SPL amps any good?

ok im looking at a 1200 watt SPL brand amp and i would like to know what you people think of SPL and its amps. They are fairly cheap and I dont feel like spending a lot of money for the top of the line kicker or rockford amp. And i also don't have that much money. So are the SPL amps any good? If you don't think so then what are some good amps that are fairly cheap?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 06-17-2003 08:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lock_Up Click here to Send Lock_Up a Private Message Find more posts by Lock_Up Add Lock_Up to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
meanman101

Like the rule of thumb goes, "You Get What You Pay For." SPL is made by Power Acoustik and basically the same amp with a different cover. IMO its a good amp that provides a nice amount of power. However it is not in the same league as Kicker and RF. On the other hand on a budget its a good way to go. http://renegadesrun.hyperboards2.com/index.cgi

New Post 06-18-2003 10:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for meanman101 Click here to Send meanman101 a Private Message Find more posts by meanman101 Add meanman101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lock_Up

Now ive been looking at some of the other amps and what people thought of them. I've noticed that when it came to legacy amps...everyone said that they were junk. I've only come across one person who liked the legacy amps. Basicly from what ive gathered here is that dont buy a cheap amp because they dont put out as much as they say they do. Well im not rich so what cheap brands really do put out as much as they say they do?

New Post 06-18-2003 04:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lock_Up Click here to Send Lock_Up a Private Message Find more posts by Lock_Up Add Lock_Up to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FireStormx

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-18-2003 by Lock_Up
Now ive been looking at some of the other amps and what people thought of them. I've noticed that when it came to legacy amps...everyone said that they were junk. I've only come across one person who liked the legacy amps. Basicly from what ive gathered here is that dont buy a cheap amp because they dont put out as much as they say they do. Well im not rich so what cheap brands really do put out as much as they say they do?

none really, sorry but you get what you pay for, best way to get a "cheap $" amp that puts out is on ebay

New Post 06-18-2003 05:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for FireStormx Click here to Send FireStormx a Private Message Find more posts by FireStormx Add FireStormx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
meanman101

Sometimes you can get lucky on ebay and get a good amp for well under cost. I got my Opti 1000.1d on ebay for under $200 Audio Blowouts. I also got a 1200 watt Power Acoustik Area 51 amp for under $100. The best thing to do when searching for an amp is not to go by the MAX ratings. Look at the RMS rating for the ohm load you plan on using. Even those rating dont mean much but I have noticed that they seem to be more accurate. Real cheap ass amps wont even mention the RMS ratings they will try to dazzle you with exaggerated Max ratings. I also tend to find people trying to get amps that put out massive amounts of power. Most of the time they dont need it because their subs/speakers also have exaggerated Max ratings. If your not experienced with various amps then you would be amazed/impressed on the performance from a true 400 or 600 watt amp versus the performance of cheap amps that claim more power. Let us know what subs you plan on using so that we can better determin what power you actually need. And what type of box you plan on using.

New Post 06-18-2003 07:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for meanman101 Click here to Send meanman101 a Private Message Find more posts by meanman101 Add meanman101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lock_Up

right now i got 2 12" pioneer 450 watt impp's in my car powered by a shitty jensen 300 watt amp. Im looking to buy some newer 12" kicker comps. I dont feel like paying an outragous price for a Kicker amp, but if i have to i will save enough to buy one on ebay. Is the RMS power how much power the amp can put out continously or what is it?

New Post 06-19-2003 05:37 PM
meanman101

Ive dealt with impps they can really pound if in the correct box and well powered. There is a good deal on ebay for an Opti 800 which will be more than sufficient to power those subs. I think audioblow outs has some refurbished with 1 yr warrenty 800's at $109 each. I got my Opti 1000.1d refurbished from them and it really puts out serious power.

New Post 06-20-2003 09:21 AM
Lock_Up

ive heard good things about the opti's on this site so from what i understand is they actually do a good job of pounding subs. Me ive never had one. Right now i have a home made ported box with 3/4 in. plywood (plywood was free). I think it sucks but it works to hold in my subs in the trunk. If i get new subs i will buy a box for them. I really want to get at least a 2 channel 1200 watt amp, because i want to upgrade my system to something better. And i can get a SPL series I amp for $130 or so. Even though it a cheap amp i THINK it might do good for a cheap amp. It only has a RMS of 250 x 2 @ 4 OHM and RMS of 300 x 2 @ 2 OHM and RMS of 600 mono. It is 2 Ohm stereo stable. and i have no idea how to calculate ohms and shit.

New Post 06-20-2003 04:37 PM
meanman101

If in fact SPL is the same thing as Power Acoustik just with a different casing then $130 for 250-300 watts per channel is a good investment. Should be more than sufficient to seriously rock the heck out of your Pioneer subs. Definately get a good box. The best subs and amp combination will sound like ass if your box is not the right size or poorly made. I suggest getting a box made from 3/4 inch MDF. Ebay is good place and so it www.speakerhole.com I have bought from both of these places, both were good experiences.

New Post 06-20-2003 07:48 PM
Lock_Up

Ive found some subs i want...

Alright on ebay i found some Audiobahn 12in. flamer subs with a really nice box. The RMS is 400watts each for the subs and the max is 800watts. Will the 1200 watt SPL amp be able to pound these 2 12in. audiobahn subs?

New Post 07-05-2003 10:19 PM
meanman101

Yes, it combinations should sound kick ass in a ported box. IMO I think that it wouldnt sound as loud in a sealed box. However, my personal preference would be to put them flames in a sealed box because thats the type of bass I prefer. But if you looking to get as loud as you can then the ported box would be louder.

New Post 07-05-2003 10:48 PM
Lock_Up

Audiobahn subs in bandpass box

the subs are in a really nice bandpass box so you can see the chrome flame baskets. It is around $175 + 50 for shipping and handling. I think it will sound awsome. and i hear that audiobahn is a really good brand. i should recieve my 1200 watt SPL brand amp tomorrow so it'll pound my IMPP's untill i get those audiobahns. If actually puts out about 600 watts per channel it should pound those audiobahns pretty good. I hope that the amp will atleast put out at least 400 watts per channel to meet the RMS rating for the subs.

New Post 07-06-2003 05:54 PM
cable

first thing first, The spl amp is max rated. Cut the power in 3 and that should be a more accurate output to expect. 200 watts per channel is nothing to sneaze at though. Especialy if you got is at a good value. Watts and output ar not as extremely important as people think. System design is. Box design is the most important part of a bass system. bandpass is extremely hard to get to sound good, especialy prefab boxes like the ones at walmart or bestbuy. these are the boxes that are ususaly sold with speakers in a package. ported is the best for low power systems but needs to be carfully designed. sealed is the most forgiving when it comes to shape size and material. My recomendation for you is to find 2 more subs exactly like the ones you got and one more amp. Do some research or building boxes and build a custom box in your car, ported if possible sealed if space is an issue. then spend 2-3 hours tuning your car. even though you have cheap equipment you should still pound! And audiobahn is not as crappy as they used to be, but they are still overpriced due to their asthetics. More efficient spl woofers are kicker comp's, vr's, or jlaudio w0, w3

New Post 07-06-2003 08:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cable Click here to Send cable a Private Message Find more posts by cable Add cable to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lock_Up

got the amp now! YAY!

Ok i got the nice new SPL amp and hooked it up and it kicks the shit out of my IMPP's. I dont expect much from it as long as it pound my subs. It sounds good and looks good too. I'd say it was worth the $125 that i paid for it. It is cheap but it is still better than my old 300 watt jensen amp. Now i need to get some new subs. i thinking of the newer kicker comps (SVC) or the audiobahn flamers and box. I'm leaning tward the audiobahns because they come with a box made of MFD. My homemade box is shit and i dont like building so buy kicker comps for $150 and a box for $80 or the audiobahns with a bandpass box for $225. Which one? Damn im a cheap bastard!

New Post 07-09-2003 07:16 PM
meanman101

Since you got the SPL amp why not go with SPL subs? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034648425&category=18803 You can get a huge slot port box: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034663412&category=14945

New Post 07-09-2003 08:33 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting