Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > JL W7's w/ Alpine Amp
Go Back Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BlazinJason

JL W7's w/ Alpine Amp

Hey, new to this forum and my first post. I've searched around but haven't really found much info. Currently I have 2 12" Type R's with an Alpine MRD-1000 amp. They sound alright for what they are. Within the next half a year or so I will be working on my other car. I want to put in a system that can be heard from blocks away =) well maybe just loud and good sound quality. I've had JL subs before and they are nice. What my plan is this: 2 JL 12W7's (or 13's if I can), 2 Alpine MRD-1000 amps. I do have a 5 farad cap right now for my current setup. I know caps help a little but are more show than performance. Thats why I am planning on putting and extra high performance battery in to power the system. I will get another cap eventually once I get another amp. I think that one amp per sub, even with the gain set within reason would work better. I already know who will jump in and say that there are better subs for the price than JL (so don't need to hear that). I'm always open to suggestions, although I am pretty sure JL is what I want. It looks like the lowest price I can find for the subs are about $450 on ebay. Looking for geedback from anyone who may have some info on this setup. Thanks Jason

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 09-07-2005 06:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlazinJason Click here to Send BlazinJason a Private Message Find more posts by BlazinJason Add BlazinJason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OlogyAudio

There are other equal subs for less money... thats what I have to say... some are louder -- some have better sound quality... some are both louder and sound better for the price... but need a more interesting install... -- thats what I have to say... Caps are almost useless... a new battery is almost useless unless your battery keeps going dead... what will help the most is a HO alt that will supply good voltage and current at idle... a red top atleast battery wouldn't hurt instead of say the ultra budget ones... how dare you bump from blocks away though -- all you will do is get a noise ordinance inacted... or get tickets if there already is one... won't get ya women thats for sure :) unless they need a giant vibrator

New Post 09-07-2005 01:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for OlogyAudio Click here to Send OlogyAudio a Private Message Find more posts by OlogyAudio Add OlogyAudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mfdvr07

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-07-2005 by OlogyAudio
There are other equal subs for less money... thats what I have to say... some are louder -- some have better sound quality... some are both louder and sound better for the price... but need a more interesting install... -- thats what I have to say... Caps are almost useless... a new battery is almost useless unless your battery keeps going dead... what will help the most is a HO alt that will supply good voltage and current at idle... a red top atleast battery wouldn't hurt instead of say the ultra budget ones... how dare you bump from blocks away though -- all you will do is get a noise ordinance inacted... or get tickets if there already is one... won't get ya women thats for sure :) unless they need a giant vibrator

Are batteries really not that important?.....The reason i'm asking is I have an Xtant system underated @1600rms with a 200 amp alt.@2000 rpm.Am I slowly killing my Oreilly super start extreme battery or will these batteries do the job.Please ....no Oreilly's employee comments.I've already melted a 150 amp alt. and that's the reason i'm concerned.Any GOOD advice would be appreciated.

New Post 10-30-2009 09:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mfdvr07 Click here to Send mfdvr07 a Private Message Find more posts by mfdvr07 Add mfdvr07 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

red and yellow tops as well as any standard deep cycle battery are worthless for high current car audio.. PERIOD.  they are not designed for it at all,  an agm battery is and will beat out the best deep cycle made hands down everytime.  deep cycles are for intermittent use or constantly draining THEN recharging  thats it!

New Post 10-31-2009 02:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mfdvr07

RE:Battery

quote:
Originally posted on 10-31-2009 by sicaudio

red and yellow tops as well as any standard deep cycle battery are worthless for high current car audio.. PERIOD.  they are not designed for it at all,  an agm battery is and will beat out the best deep cycle made hands down everytime.  deep cycles are for intermittent use or constantly draining THEN recharging  thats it!

So,replace my super start battery with an agm battery and i'm good?Just want to make sure.I'm not competing,so what kind do you recommend? Also what's the best way to hook up a generator to run a high power auto stereo system?Generator has a 12 volt outlet.Thanks

New Post 10-31-2009 03:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mfdvr07 Click here to Send mfdvr07 a Private Message Find more posts by mfdvr07 Add mfdvr07 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

if your main battery is fine now and works for the car keep it and only if you need more juice for the system, get a 2nd battery shuriken kinetic ect.  2 batteries are far better than just 1 any day.

New Post 10-31-2009 08:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mfdvr07

RE: Battery & generator

quote:

if your main battery is fine now and works for the car keep it and only if you need more juice for the system, get a 2nd battery shuriken kinetic ect.  2 batteries are far better than just 1 any day.

Thanks for that info. on the battery;I didn't want to have to shell out extra couple hundred bucks or more for a h.p. battery if not really needed.Any knowledge of hooking a Honda generator w/12volt output to stereo system?I go camping and want to listen to my stereo way out in the woods at high volume without running engine.Thanks.

New Post 10-31-2009 11:01 PM
sicaudio

most generators dont have enough amps on the 12 volt rail output to run a car stereo system, but you could hook the 12 volt output to the car battery to keep it charged ;) 

and batteries dont have to cost 200$  I have many options that would be more than enough extra juice for less than that.

New Post 11-01-2009 09:50 AM
maryland33

Great advice sic!,and doing the BIG 3 (4) upgrade would'nt hurt also.F-the caps!

New Post 11-01-2009 09:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maryland33 Click here to Send maryland33 a Private Message Find more posts by maryland33 Add maryland33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mfdvr07

RE: generator

quote:
Originally posted on 11-01-2009 by sicaudio

most generators dont have enough amps on the 12 volt rail output to run a car stereo system, but you could hook the 12 volt output to the car battery to keep it charged ;) 

and batteries dont have to cost 200$  I have many options that would be more than enough extra juice for less than that.

Are you an Ebayer or independent internet retailer?Hopefully not Ebay;too many ripoffs.Thinking of the high performance battery senario'i.e. Kinetiks or better agm.Any recommendations?Thanks.It's nice to visit with someone that's not cocky or arrogant.Too much of that in this world.

New Post 11-01-2009 10:03 PM
1sr

RE:

quote:

Now I have a good question for you. How is having two batteries better than one if your charging system can't keep up with one? Doesn't having more batteries just put more stress on the alt and they don't get charged properly?

New Post 11-02-2009 01:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1sr Click here to Send 1sr a Private Message Find more posts by 1sr Add 1sr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1sr

Honestly I really don't think you'll get that sq out of that setup unless you have someone build the perfect box. It will be loud though.

New Post 11-02-2009 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1sr Click here to Send 1sr a Private Message Find more posts by 1sr Add 1sr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

RE: RE: generator

quote:
Originally posted on 11-01-2009 by mfdvr07

Are you an Ebayer or independent internet retailer?Hopefully not Ebay;too many ripoffs.Thinking of the high performance battery senario'i.e. Kinetiks or better agm.Any recommendations?Thanks.It's nice to visit with someone that's not cocky or arrogant.Too much of that in this world.

im not an ebayer lolz  I hate ebay,  im an independant dealer / wholesaler.  i buy direct from the manufacturers distributors with full factory warranties.

I sell SHURIKEN agm batteries, they are basically a Kinetic brand battery made for a different company ( Metra )

New Post 11-02-2009 07:36 PM
sicaudio

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 11-02-2009 by 1sr

Now I have a good question for you. How is having two batteries better than one if your charging system can't keep up with one? Doesn't having more batteries just put more stress on the alt and they don't get charged properly?

his system is having an issue with reserve power or a constant enough supply of solid power,  an alternator is not designed to supply bursts or sustained high amperage draws.  a typical car battery requires no more than 20 amps of current to maintain a full charge, the rest of the alternators output runs the car entirely along with any sound setup he has,  since the alt and stock battery are not capable nor designed to handle that purpose a secondary purpose made product fills in the gaps,  AKA an agm battery.  most AGM batts only need 1 amp to stay charged and 6-10 amps when fully drained and dead.  they are also designed to release massive current and amperage constantly without draining fast.  the addition of the 2nd batt not only does not put a draw on the system it puts significantly less draw on it.  the reason it does is because the alt only sends a max of 10 amps to it and then only in short bursts if it is completely dead, the rest of the time it uses about 1-5 amps in a typical daily driver, and it supplies the current and power to the amp directly, therefore letting the alt lighten its load trying to supply a high current amp directly.

New Post 11-02-2009 07:44 PM
sicaudio

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 10-30-2009 by mfdvr07

Are batteries really not that important?.....The reason i'm asking is I have an Xtant system underated @1600rms with a 200 amp alt.@2000 rpm.Am I slowly killing my Oreilly super start extreme battery or will these batteries do the job.Please ....no Oreilly's employee comments.I've already melted a 150 amp alt. and that's the reason i'm concerned.Any GOOD advice would be appreciated.

an HO alt for his setup is like shooting at mice with a howitzer, and with out a battery bank HO alts are a wasted purchase IMO.  I have 3 times the power he has and no HO alt and prolly never will.  i have 2 small 900 cca AGM batteries and thats it, i never drop below 12 volts unless we are burping.

New Post 11-02-2009 07:59 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (7): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting