Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Simple, inexpensive sub setup advice?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
khyron

Simple, inexpensive sub setup advice?

I'm a fairly budget-conscious guy who's thinking about adding a sub. I own a 1997 Nissan Sentra GXE. I threw out the factory equipment years ago, and I am currently running a Blaupunkt MP3000 head unit (it's a lot like a San Jose if you're more familiar with those) with four 6 1/2" Polk GXR6 speakers (coaxial 2-way) in the factory installation locations (front doors and rear deck). I absolutely love my HU and the mere 23 watts (RMS) it delivers to these speakers more than satisfies me with the volume set to far less than maximum, if that tells you anything about me. However - I am forced to admit I miss the low end "punch" I get to the same music even at low listening levels in my living room. I like a lot of KMFDM if you know what I mean, hehe. I would like to simply and somewhat inexpensively add a subwoofer to my system, and am looking for advice on the smartest way to do so. Go with a self-contained "powered" unit? Get an amp, a loose subwoofer and build or buy a box? Brands, models, online stores, retail stores, reccomendations? I seriously appreciate any advice! I see a lot of very cheap amps out there like Pyramid and Legacy, and question their quality but am drawn to the savings. I am not looking for the "most pristine signal in the world" here and will probably not be using extremely loud volume so please consider that when making reccomendations. FYI, my Blaupunkt MP3000 head unit has 2.0v preamp RCA outputs. Also, I am a fairly accomplished hobbyist confidant with building a speaker box, wiring power and sound, etc. Also if it would help, I could go check the numbers on my factory alternator and provide those. THANKS SO MUCH in advance to everyone! :)

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-04-2003 12:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for khyron Click here to Send khyron a Private Message Find more posts by khyron Add khyron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tweeterguy

Options, options...

Personally, I would amplify the whole system since you have upgraded speakers and obviously like a decent, balanced, well-rounded sound. This can be done very cost effective. A KAC849 by Kenwood will run $299. It has gobbs of power for it's price and has all the necessary x-overs for this project. 2 channels run the 4 speakers inside the car. The other 2 are bridged to a JL Audio Power Wedge box single 10" for $169. So with wires, your at the $500 mark. The nearest tweeter not only carries all this equipment but will install it for $65. It'll sound real nice. Travis

New Post 01-04-2003 02:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tweeterguy Click here to Send tweeterguy a Private Message Find more posts by tweeterguy Add tweeterguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
khyron

RE: Options, options...

quote:
Originally posted on 01-04-2003 by tweeterguy
Personally, I would amplify the whole system since you have upgraded speakers and obviously like a decent, balanced, well-rounded sound. This can be done very cost effective. A KAC849 by Kenwood will run $299. It has gobbs of power for it's price and has all the necessary x-overs for this project. 2 channels run the 4 speakers inside the car. The other 2 are bridged to a JL Audio Power Wedge box single 10" for $169. So with wires, your at the $500 mark. The nearest tweeter not only carries all this equipment but will install it for $65. It'll sound real nice. Travis

Sounds really nice, but what if I am more than satisfied with the way my speakers sound now and want to spend less than $500? There are two routes I am most curious about. One is buying a very inexpensive amplifier (like maybe a Pyramid), a loose sub, and a box (or building one). The other is buying a low-end "powered" subwoofer unit that includes its own amplifier, like some of the Bazooka models on the market. Either of these solutions can be done for under $200. Either way, my goal is to save money and have improved bass response (just not as-loud-as more expensive solutions). However if either of these solutions is actually a bad idea, and Pyramid, Legacy, or Bazooka amps actually introduce hum or noise or something undesirable - that's what I need to know. Thanks again in advance to everyone for any advice! :)

New Post 01-05-2003 09:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for khyron Click here to Send khyron a Private Message Find more posts by khyron Add khyron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
relayswitcher

A sub is definetly the way to go. Without one you are missing a very important part of the music. I would go with a sealed enclosuer. A easy weekend project and good low end bass. You will ask your self "why didnt I do that a long time ago" Good luck Relayswitcher

New Post 01-06-2003 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for relayswitcher Click here to Send relayswitcher a Private Message Find more posts by relayswitcher Add relayswitcher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
khyron

totally sold on sub

Okay, so I spent a *lot* of time listening to other people's systems over the last few days and I agree, I'm definately interested in adding some modest sub to my car. So, when someone says "sealed unit" I take it that means something like the Infinity or Bazooka units that incorporate everything into one purchase (speaker, amplifier, enclosure)? Who makes good ones? Who makes inexpensive ones? Does anyone make decent inexpensive ones? Another wrinkle, I have come into posession of a Best Buy gift card for $150. My wife really wants to complete her Robotech collection, but I can spend the rest. That would get me a nice bandpass box and a reasonably nice speaker. Can anyone suggest a very affordable amplifier of modest power? My alternator is the stock Hitachi LR170-738C which has a nominal rating (V-A) of 12-70.

New Post 01-06-2003 09:18 PM
meanman101

Since your speaker system is Blaupunkt why not get a Blaupunkt sub they are considered a quality. They are not expensive. However their amps are somewhat costly but well worth it. In the meantime if you need a good budget amp I would look into a "Lanzar, Crunch, or Boss" on www.eBay.com

New Post 01-09-2003 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for meanman101 Click here to Send meanman101 a Private Message Find more posts by meanman101 Add meanman101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting