Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > CarStereo.com Lobby > 10 Days old and it's showing me why...
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nova

10 Days old and it's showing me why...

Well, I've had the civic for 10 days now and it's now showing why it was only $400... Went to fill up and my mom bought a full tank and I tried taking off and it wouldn't start, after I released the parking break and through it into 1st, it started. Yesterday again it do it when she picked me up from practice, only this time I opened the trunk and threw my backpack in. This time I wasn't so lucky, no start... My first thoughts were that it had a safety/thieft thing, but that wasn't happening.... Second I thought it was flooded, my dad told me how to start anything flooded, this didn't work either. Another thought was vapor lock, but it was 73 degrees and the civic was started and driven 3/4 miles for the second time of the day, soooo that wasn't it.....

Is there actually a safety switch in this?? It started after we got it level and waited a couple seconds....

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 09-20-2005 10:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nova Click here to Send Nova a Private Message Find more posts by Nova Add Nova to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
audeogod

Does it even crank, or just no sound at all?? This can tell you where to start at least. If it spins but won't fire, then think about the fuel pump. Try just turning the key to the starting position but not so far to crank it and see if you hear the fuel pump engage. It should make a whirring noise and a click after that to indicate that the fuel pump is primed and ready. If you don't hear that, then it's probably gone bad. Most cars have the fuel pump in the gas tank so you may want to have somebody else turn the key like above and you lay down with your head near the tank and listen for the fuel pump to kick in.

If it's kicking in, then you may also want to check to see if the fuel filter is clogged up. That could be it right there. And also check to see if you have fire from all your plug wires. You can do this(sometimes painfully though) with a screwdriver stuck in the end of the wires, one at a time, and held near to a bolt on the engine block and look for the spark as somebody turns the key attempting to start the car. Sometimes it can light you up though if you're not careful, so I'd say hold the wire with a pair of pliers and the screwdriver by the handle only. Try them one wire at a time.

I'd do a tune up anyway, new wires and plugs at least, that's pretty cheap and it probably needs it too.

If you have fire, and also fuel, and it cranks, then timing may be an issue. You better hope not. Jumping time on you could be a big problem to fix if you don't know how. But it could be other things too, like the distributor. Hope not though. Hope it's just the fuel pump or just new plugs and wires needed.

If it won't crank at all, acting like there's no battery in it even though there is, then it could be an ignition module maybe, or even a starter motor gone out. Or it could even just be a battery cable loose or corroded, simple to fix.

When it does this, how does it act?? Need info to guess at the problem. You really should check the other filters too. The air filter for instance. Won't run if it can't breathe.

New Post 09-22-2005 11:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for audeogod Click here to Send audeogod a Private Message Find more posts by audeogod Add audeogod to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhaze36

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-22-2005 by audeogod
Does it even crank, or just no sound at all?? This can tell you where to start at least. If it spins but won't fire, then think about the fuel pump. Try just turning the key to the starting position but not so far to crank it and see if you hear the fuel pump engage. It should make a whirring noise and a click after that to indicate that the fuel pump is primed and ready. If you don't hear that, then it's probably gone bad. Most cars have the fuel pump in the gas tank so you may want to have somebody else turn the key like above and you lay down with your head near the tank and listen for the fuel pump to kick in.

If it's kicking in, then you may also want to check to see if the fuel filter is clogged up. That could be it right there. And also check to see if you have fire from all your plug wires. You can do this(sometimes painfully though) with a screwdriver stuck in the end of the wires, one at a time, and held near to a bolt on the engine block and look for the spark as somebody turns the key attempting to start the car. Sometimes it can light you up though if you're not careful, so I'd say hold the wire with a pair of pliers and the screwdriver by the handle only. Try them one wire at a time.

I'd do a tune up anyway, new wires and plugs at least, that's pretty cheap and it probably needs it too.

If you have fire, and also fuel, and it cranks, then timing may be an issue. You better hope not. Jumping time on you could be a big problem to fix if you don't know how. But it could be other things too, like the distributor. Hope not though. Hope it's just the fuel pump or just new plugs and wires needed.

If it won't crank at all, acting like there's no battery in it even though there is, then it could be an ignition module maybe, or even a starter motor gone out. Or it could even just be a battery cable loose or corroded, simple to fix.

When it does this, how does it act?? Need info to guess at the problem. You really should check the other filters too. The air filter for instance. Won't run if it can't breathe.

You may also want to think about the neutral safety switch,and if your trying to check for spark,the safest way is to use a timing light,if theres fire in the wire the timing light will strobe.If the starter isnt turning, then try jumping the solinoid,(with key in on position)or by passing the switch at the battery and the starter.If it turns over then you may have a starter relay bad,These are just but a few suggestions without a good description of your problem.Like audeo said, give a more thorough description and then it can be diagnosed semi properly.But the best thing to do is like I tell all my customers,Go to your nearest parts store and get a book specifically for your car,(probably a haynes or a clymer)and in it, It will have a trouble shooting page and step by step proceedure.And besides that,A book will save you a whole lot of money and time,as well as teach you about your own car. These books usually run about 12-16 bucks. Hope this helps you Nova.

New Post 09-23-2005 12:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rhaze36 Click here to Send Rhaze36 a Private Message Find more posts by Rhaze36 Add Rhaze36 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
audeogod

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-23-2005 by Rhaze36
You may also want to think about the neutral safety switch,and if your trying to check for spark,the safest way is to use a timing light,if theres fire in the wire the timing light will strobe.If the starter isnt turning, then try jumping the solinoid,(with key in on position)or by passing the switch at the battery and the starter.If it turns over then you may have a starter relay bad,These are just but a few suggestions without a good description of your problem.Like audeo said, give a more thorough description and then it can be diagnosed semi properly.But the best thing to do is like I tell all my customers,Go to your nearest parts store and get a book specifically for your car,(probably a haynes or a clymer)and in it, It will have a trouble shooting page and step by step proceedure.And besides that,A book will save you a whole lot of money and time,as well as teach you about your own car. These books usually run about 12-16 bucks. Hope this helps you Nova.

Yeah, go with the timing light on checking the fire. I don't know that much about cars and that's an old school trick to check it, so it's all I knew to say. I've been hit with it before though, it kinda hurts but not real, real bad or anything. You'll definitely know though when you get hit by the distributor's high voltage output.

New Post 09-23-2005 04:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for audeogod Click here to Send audeogod a Private Message Find more posts by audeogod Add audeogod to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Juanton1610

My car would be running and then when i turned the car off the battery would be toatally dead especially on short trips when I tried to jump it the ground terminal on the battery wouldn't work.At first i thought my system was just drawing too much power but I looked at where the ground wire connected to my car and noticed that it was all coroded so I disconnected this and ran a different ground wire and now it seems to be working all right. Hopefully it stays that way.

New Post 09-24-2005 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Juanton1610 Click here to Send Juanton1610 a Private Message Find more posts by Juanton1610 Add Juanton1610 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nova

Happened yesterday... Disconnected the forth plug wire and it shot spark AND started on 3 cylinders...

New Post 09-26-2005 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nova Click here to Send Nova a Private Message Find more posts by Nova Add Nova to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting