Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > Kenwood KDC-4011 stopped working
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tweek

Kenwood KDC-4011 stopped working

I bought a Kenwood KDC-4011 head unit about three years ago and installed it myself. It's always been a really good head unit; never had any problems. But, today it just stopped working. It's never been abused, taken out, or anything like that. The face still flips around when I turn the ignition is on, and the blue light come on too. But no music, no display, no nothing. Anybody else have this problem, and is there anything I can do about it? I have a hard time believing this $300+ head unit will never work again....it's depressing...my fav cd is stuck in it too....sigh....

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-03-2003 04:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tweek Click here to Send tweek a Private Message Find more posts by tweek Add tweek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tweek

I've figured out how to fix this. If it happens to anybody else, email me at d4x20r@hotmail.com and I'll email you very simple instructions to fix it yourself for under 10 bucks.

New Post 07-08-2003 01:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tweek Click here to Send tweek a Private Message Find more posts by tweek Add tweek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dragan

I have exactly the same problem with my kenwood 7009 -- have you had any luck determining the problem? Dennis

New Post 07-17-2003 12:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dragan Click here to Send dragan a Private Message Find more posts by dragan Add dragan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tweek

Take your unit:

Revove cover (one screw one each side and one on top):

Remove CD player contraption (3 screws with washers and carefully remove ribbon cable underneath):

Remove front plate, behind face (2 screws inside and a tiny screw on each side). Also detach ribbon cable from motor:

Take 9-volt battery and contact with the motor to turn display around as if it was on:

Note: pay close attention to the way the ribbon cable sits between the unit and the display. I didn't, and now the ribbon cable can be seen when the display turns.

Detach display from unit (2 tiny screws):

Remove back cover from display (no screws):

Remove ribbon cable. This is what's wrong with your player (although there will likely not be any visible damage):

You will have to replace this piece. It is part # J84-0093-03 and you find it at one of these distributors:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/parts_dealers.jsp

Hopefully your CD player will work now:

New Post 07-19-2003 04:30 PM
dragan

Great help!

This is excellent! Thanks so much for the photos and step-by-step. One last question: Can you tell me anything about inserting the ribbon cable? Does it have to be put in any special way, or does it automatically go where it's supposed to when it's hooked up? I keep wondering where the exposed area in the middle of the ribbon is supposed to make contact once the player is operational, and how I can ensure that section lines up where it's supposed to?

New Post 07-21-2003 07:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dragan Click here to Send dragan a Private Message Find more posts by dragan Add dragan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tweek

RE: Great help!

quote:
Originally posted on 07-21-2003 by dragan
This is excellent! Thanks so much for the photos and step-by-step. One last question: Can you tell me anything about inserting the ribbon cable? Does it have to be put in any special way, or does it automatically go where it's supposed to when it's hooked up? I keep wondering where the exposed area in the middle of the ribbon is supposed to make contact once the player is operational, and how I can ensure that section lines up where it's supposed to?

The ribbon cable must be put in exactly as the original, mainly because I didn't pay attention to it and now the ribbon cable is clearly exposed every time the face flips around. Besides that, the ribbon cable connects to the unit silver side up.

The silver areas are the only things that make contact, so the exposed area really isn't exposed. Also, if it makes a difference, the 'exposed' section is slightly off center; it's the shorter half that connects to the unit. I don't know why the cable is made that way, or if it makes a difference if you put it in backwards (I wouldn't try it though).

New Post 07-21-2003 08:20 PM
tweek

Also, the 7th picture shows how the cable is attached to the display

New Post 07-21-2003 08:25 PM
almararn

Same problem

I just had the same problem with Kenwood KDC-7070R and found this tread while looking for the part J84-0093-03 wich is clearly defective. But if your cable shows after reinstalling it then you faild to put it throug the spring that reels it in, you fyrst have to wind it up 2 circles or so and put the caple through the hole.

New Post 04-09-2005 02:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for almararn Click here to Send almararn a Private Message Find more posts by almararn Add almararn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MissionMaster

i have the kenwood kdc-322 and my cd player just stopped working with the cd in it, the radio still works but the cd player doesn't. it doesn't even recognize the fact that a cd is stuck in it. could this be the same thing?

New Post 04-10-2005 12:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MissionMaster Click here to Send MissionMaster a Private Message Find more posts by MissionMaster Add MissionMaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
almararn

No, probably not. Because the CD player and radio works fine even though the cable is broken, it whas posible to control it via the remote. I would suspect that the disk is jamed or that the rotaiting motor has dryed up??

New Post 04-10-2005 08:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for almararn Click here to Send almararn a Private Message Find more posts by almararn Add almararn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MissionMaster

so my only real option is to take it to an electronics shop?

New Post 04-11-2005 03:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MissionMaster Click here to Send MissionMaster a Private Message Find more posts by MissionMaster Add MissionMaster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting