Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Car Audio Competitions and Shows > Alternator question
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Winksta

Alternator question

Would 2 250 amp alternators be big enough to run 10,000-12,000 watts from amlifiers? the amps pulled from the amplifiers are around 300 amps a piece. And i got 2 amplifers. So about 600 amps being pulled and i wanted to use this as daily driving. If i ran it at high volumes for about 2 hours a day would i be ok? I mean idk if ill be able to handle full blast the full 2 hours so i should be ok right? plus volume up all the way tends to distort anyways on any setup even if its just a little bit so i would be listening to it around 3/4 full volume. Just need help from far more experienced car audio enthusiasts for there help. Thats one thing ive never been able to understand alts... Not to good in electrical field just buying, lol. Ohh yea i will be putting pics up this month!!! New girl is getten a camera for christmas, i should have them up after i get back from hawaii. Thanks Alot David

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-01-2005 08:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Winksta Click here to Send Winksta a Private Message Find more posts by Winksta Add Winksta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thrtyhz

When your amps are playing music there not going to draw (on average) anywhere near peak like what they would be if they were playing a test tone into a super low resistance because of the pauses and breaks in music, also the the ohm load can't be as low because of all the frequencys there required to play
Anyway, I belive the alts will be fine you just need plenty of battery backup also. Good luck, can't wait to see it.

New Post 12-02-2005 09:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for thrtyhz Click here to Send thrtyhz a Private Message Find more posts by thrtyhz Add thrtyhz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Winksta

Thanks bud!!! PICS ARE COMMING SOON IM SO EXCITED!!!! I was wondering also how many amps from batteries i will need. right now im looking at about 7500 amps from 3 monster batteries but idk if that would be enough....

New Post 12-03-2005 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Winksta Click here to Send Winksta a Private Message Find more posts by Winksta Add Winksta to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Winksta

Ohh Yea...

Ohh yea i will be in ohio most like on the dates of 21-23 of december so if anyones wants to hang out and lives somewhere on the way to where im goin then maybe we could hang out and chill. Or if anyones from there and is selling some subs or batteries let me know

New Post 12-03-2005 12:37 AM
salcedohumberto

if your talking about 10'000 12'000 watts RMS, and you say its a dayly driver that for about 2 hours youll be pushing it at 75% of the volume, your just plain crazy dude, youll end up deaf...the loudness produce by that amount of power, and the quantity or power of subs and speakers your gonna have are insane. plus having to alts is not that easy on a car, there are some mods that you have to do in your vehicle and a good mechanic & performance shop to do the work. Im guessing money is not a problem for you, but a system rated at those levels are mainly for competitions and can play volumes that can not be bared inside. dont get me wrong but you wont be able to listen while driving to 5min to a 10'000watts system at 75%.

New Post 12-04-2005 05:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for salcedohumberto Click here to Send salcedohumberto a Private Message Find more posts by salcedohumberto Add salcedohumberto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Winksta

Im the next Insane Dave......LoL

New Post 12-04-2005 10:08 PM
spkrman

For cruisin around, you shouldnt need to use more than 1000 watts... so long as you have a fairly effeciant setup. If you have 20kw and can only do a 150.0 full tilt, your in some trouble :)

New Post 12-07-2005 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spkrman Click here to Send spkrman a Private Message Find more posts by spkrman Add spkrman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RPMSOUNDS

RE: Alternator question

quote:
Originally posted on 12-01-2005 by Winksta
Would 2 250 amp alternators be big enough to run 10,000-12,000 watts from amlifiers? the amps pulled from the amplifiers are around 300 amps a piece. And i got 2 amplifers. So about 600 amps being pulled and i wanted to use this as daily driving. If i ran it at high volumes for about 2 hours a day would i be ok? I mean idk if ill be able to handle full blast the full 2 hours so i should be ok right? plus volume up all the way tends to distort anyways on any setup even if its just a little bit so i would be listening to it around 3/4 full volume. Just need help from far more experienced car audio enthusiasts for there help. Thats one thing ive never been able to understand alts... Not to good in electrical field just buying, lol. Ohh yea i will be putting pics up this month!!! New girl is getten a camera for christmas, i should have them up after i get back from hawaii. Thanks Alot David

What kind of power are you running for voice? I used 2 Fusion FCA 4000D amps at 1 ohm each on 2 9515s and I ran 5 Opti 500x2 for voice. The Fusions took about 600amps to run them for music at high volume and the Opties took about 100 each. The Opties are fused at 160 but I figure that even at 2 ohm stereo where they did 750rms x2 the way I had them hooked up I sure the hell didn't have them at full tilt. This is in my everyday driver and I had to have Guss at Ohio Gen. spin me a 300amp alt and I tossed in 10 monster batteries from Kinetik Audio in the back and 1 HC 2000 under the hood. Voltage would drop some but say well above 13.5 when driving at 1500rmp+. Took a few hours 3-5 will volume over 1/2 to get the voltage to drop into the low 12s. Hold your azz when it comes to the price needed to get all them batteries. Monster battery is about 2600amps each and $475. Go to their web site and put in how much watts you have voice and all peak rating into the program they have and it will tell you how many batteries you need to hold good voltage for a good amount of time. If you have any questions email ask for Rich to get back to you and tell him the owner of RPM SOUNDS INC told you to get ahold of them for your battery setup. They are kewl guys and more then happy to take time to help you over the phone. Hell they even called Ohio Gen and talked to the owner for me to have them figure out the best alt to charge the batteries back up in a everyday driver.

New Post 12-15-2005 03:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RPMSOUNDS Click here to Send RPMSOUNDS a Private Message Find more posts by RPMSOUNDS Add RPMSOUNDS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spkrman

RE: RE: Alternator question

quote:
Originally posted on 12-15-2005 by RPMSOUNDS
What kind of power are you running for voice? I used 2 Fusion FCA 4000D amps at 1 ohm each on 2 9515s and I ran 5 Opti 500x2 for voice. The Fusions took about 600amps to run them for music at high volume and the Opties took about 100 each. The Opties are fused at 160 but I figure that even at 2 ohm stereo where they did 750rms x2 the way I had them hooked up I sure the hell didn't have them at full tilt. This is in my everyday driver and I had to have Guss at Ohio Gen. spin me a 300amp alt and I tossed in 10 monster batteries from Kinetik Audio in the back and 1 HC 2000 under the hood. Voltage would drop some but say well above 13.5 when driving at 1500rmp+. Took a few hours 3-5 will volume over 1/2 to get the voltage to drop into the low 12s. Hold your azz when it comes to the price needed to get all them batteries. Monster battery is about 2600amps each and $475. Go to their web site and put in how much watts you have voice and all peak rating into the program they have and it will tell you how many batteries you need to hold good voltage for a good amount of time. If you have any questions email ask for Rich to get back to you and tell him the owner of RPM SOUNDS INC told you to get ahold of them for your battery setup. They are kewl guys and more then happy to take time to help you over the phone. Hell they even called Ohio Gen and talked to the owner for me to have them figure out the best alt to charge the batteries back up in a everyday driver.

i thought you were RPM Sounds...?

New Post 12-15-2005 06:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spkrman Click here to Send spkrman a Private Message Find more posts by spkrman Add spkrman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RPMSOUNDS

RE: RE: RE: Alternator question

quote:
Originally posted on 12-15-2005 by spkrman
i thought you were RPM Sounds...?

I am the owner of RPM SOUNDS INC. My name is Peter. I also own a few other shops. ThumpHer's Customs being one of my other shops that only will do higher end 100% custom work.... that shop tends to do up 57 chevys and vets where people are picky and are willing to pay big $ to have everything customized to the way they want. Full time Autobody people working at the shop as well as welders to make any brackets or anything metal needed.

New Post 12-15-2005 07:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RPMSOUNDS Click here to Send RPMSOUNDS a Private Message Find more posts by RPMSOUNDS Add RPMSOUNDS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Winksta

where is your shop? i might wanna come by there sometime.... Also does your shop put in alts? im having a lil trouble with finding someone to put in 2 250 alts that i just got cause no one up here knows how to put 2 in. I quess cause no one will make a bracket for it idk.

New Post 12-16-2005 11:09 AM
RPMSOUNDS

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-16-2005 by Winksta
where is your shop? i might wanna come by there sometime.... Also does your shop put in alts? im having a lil trouble with finding someone to put in 2 250 alts that i just got cause no one up here knows how to put 2 in. I quess cause no one will make a bracket for it idk.

Shop is on 9w in Milton. Its about 3 miles south of the Mid-Hudson bridge. Its on the Left if you are coming up from Newburge just before Highland. It's in the same building as Russo Fuel. We will take a look at the car and come up with some ideas of where to put the end alt but I would have someone cut and weld the brackets needed to do the job. I also have a local shop that can build and check alt. that is only a few min away from the shop. We can always have the alt checked out to see just how much they put out and at what RPM. Number is 914-475-4403 ask per Peter. Hope you stop by and check out the place... we just moved into that spot 2 weeks ago so everything is still being finished up. The Mountaineer is there as well as the little red Hondai that everyone knows as Mad Boom. Both the car and the SUV are being built over for 06 so you can stop by and see just how much work gose into having some of the loudest systems in the area.

New Post 12-16-2005 05:35 PM
Winksta

See this is perfect the car i have is a hyundai accent as well so im quessing that you would prob could estimate how much it would cost to put in 2 250 alts. I love hyundai they are great for systems!!!!!!!! Best car ive had for spl purposes.

New Post 12-17-2005 12:00 AM
Winksta

how much did it cost to put in the alts in your hyundai?

New Post 12-17-2005 12:00 AM
RPMSOUNDS

Hondai

quote:
Originally posted on 12-17-2005 by Winksta
how much did it cost to put in the alts in your hyundai?

The Accent isn't my car but the other shop owners car (Mike). The 2nd alt. was taken out and is no longer in the car. It was in the place of the a/c unit and had brackets made up to fit it in. I would have to see what alt. you have to put in there. If I am right Mike used a ford style alt and stuck it in. In his car the 2nd alt didn't make a big diff. in voltage due to him drawing so much. All it did was fill the batteries back up faster. Since the 2nd alt crapped out we just spent the extra money and added in more batteries from Kinetik Audio and found that by doing that the voltage dropped slower then running more alt with a 2nd battery. You should stop by and see the custom doors that where built for the car. It is not a spl car but rather a car built so the voice can be loud enough to hear a few blocks away. It is in the middle of being worked on for 06 and only has the 2 doors finished, amp rack, and custom battery rack. Subs are picked out but only tossed in a prefab sealed box for now till I get time to build up the custom ported box. All the EQs are in and so is the head unit so it isn't that far from being finished. The Mountaineer on the other hand is alot more work and not even 1/4 way finished. Only the 4 doors are finished and even then I changed my mind and am going to be using a diff voice amp so the 4 doors have to be rewired, as well as I changed my mind on the tweeters I was using so I have to install the new ones. All the batteries are in but have to be linked with copper stips rather then the 0g wire I have to them now. Box desgin just finished 1/2 an hour ago.... took about 5 hours. Was going to do 4 Digital Designs 9515s but after talking to DD's owner I ended up using 8 lower line 15s. Are you looking to do pure SPL? I am going to be selling my 2 9515s for like $800. Also you have to make sure you sound proof everything in that car. We are having a problem with the windshield cracking in it. It has cracked a few of them. Hope to see you soon.

New Post 12-17-2005 12:56 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting