Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Other Mobile Electronics > Blinking light in dash
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
L5GP

Blinking light in dash

I have a 1998 Grand Prix GT with the blinking security light in the dash, but since an astro-start was installed the light, and alarm system, hasnt worked (this is what im told I baught the car with the starter in it). I dont really care about the alarm system working, but id like to have the light blinking in the dash when my car is locked to help scare away would-be theives. Does anybody have any helpful information? Any replies would be appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-15-2005 02:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for L5GP Click here to Send L5GP a Private Message Find more posts by L5GP Add L5GP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFVega

A blinking light without a alarm is not a optimal way to go about it.

True, a blinking light can deter some thieves alone, but what if they want to test it out to find out if there really is a alarm behind that blinker. A perfect example is the dual stage shock sensors. The 'warn away' is just for that very reason. They hit it not too hard to see if the warn away chirps/voice activate before the full trigger. Also a true story: My bro had a blinker without a alarm and I did have the blinker & alarm. One rainy night, they jacked all of his gear, even though he had a blinker. They then tried mine and the alarm caught them and saved all my gear! That is why it is always good to have what you state to have. Granted, I have done the blinker without a alarm for some, but I always strongly recommend getting the alarm. On the other hand, if you do not have the funds for a alarm, even the DIY 'self-contained' units from DEI & Bulldog, a blinking red LED is much better than nothing!

You can get a battery pack very bright red LED with 2 AA batts from Radio Shack.

New Post 12-15-2005 06:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RFVega Click here to Send RFVega a Private Message Find more posts by RFVega Add RFVega to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BJ99

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-15-2005 by RFVega
A blinking light without a alarm is not a optimal way to go about it.

True, a blinking light can deter some thieves alone, but what if they want to test it out to find out if there really is a alarm behind that blinker. A perfect example is the dual stage shock sensors. The 'warn away' is just for that very reason. They hit it not too hard to see if the warn away chirps/voice activate before the full trigger. Also a true story: My bro had a blinker without a alarm and I did have the blinker & alarm. One rainy night, they jacked all of his gear, even though he had a blinker. They then tried mine and the alarm caught them and saved all my gear! That is why it is always good to have what you state to have. Granted, I have done the blinker without a alarm for some, but I always strongly recommend getting the alarm. On the other hand, if you do not have the funds for a alarm, even the DIY 'self-contained' units from DEI & Bulldog, a blinking red LED is much better than nothing!

You can get a battery pack very bright red LED with 2 AA batts from Radio Shack.

X2 Keep your alarm!!!

New Post 12-28-2005 03:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BJ99 Click here to Send BJ99 a Private Message Find more posts by BJ99 Add BJ99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GlassWolf

honestly, a blinking LED attracts thieves. It tells them you have something to protect, and thus something to steal.

New Post 02-11-2006 04:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GlassWolf Click here to Send GlassWolf a Private Message Find more posts by GlassWolf Add GlassWolf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFVega

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-11-2006 by GlassWolf
honestly, a blinking LED attracts thieves. It tells them you have something to protect, and thus something to steal.

Unless you already have a pimped tricked out ride, then it will tell them it is protected.

Sometimes, it can save a smashed window or other damage, especially if you have a radar sensor to warn them away when they approach or a dual stage shock with warn away (they might hit lightly to see is there really is a alarm with the chirps).

On the other hand, people just want to keep their car (with nothing to hide inside), hence factory alarms.

New Post 02-11-2006 05:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RFVega Click here to Send RFVega a Private Message Find more posts by RFVega Add RFVega to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GlassWolf

my IASCA car has a huge ALPINE logo across the back, and tinted windows. needless to say it attracted attention and I replaced my glass half a dozen times due to kids shooting out the windows to test for a glass break or impact sensor. having removed the door locks and put in actuators however prevented them from getting into the car itself and the tint held the glass in place. if your car attracts attention, an alarm will help to alert you to attempted theft or in a parking lot God willing, attract the attention of passers by to ID the perp. a blinking light won't do squat to protect you though. I've known a lot of car thieves working in the car audio biz for 15 years, and none of them were ever thrown off by a fake LED.

New Post 02-11-2006 07:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GlassWolf Click here to Send GlassWolf a Private Message Find more posts by GlassWolf Add GlassWolf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFVega

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-11-2006 by GlassWolf
my IASCA car has a huge ALPINE logo across the back, and tinted windows. needless to say it attracted attention and I replaced my glass half a dozen times due to kids shooting out the windows to test for a glass break or impact sensor. having removed the door locks and put in actuators however prevented them from getting into the car itself and the tint held the glass in place. if your car attracts attention, an alarm will help to alert you to attempted theft or in a parking lot God willing, attract the attention of passers by to ID the perp. a blinking light won't do squat to protect you though. I've known a lot of car thieves working in the car audio biz for 15 years, and none of them were ever thrown off by a fake LED.

That huge ALPINE logo is what is commonly called: "Steal Me Stickers". I used to have a huge RF logo back in my early days of just starting out as a kid, but decided the wisest thing would be to take it off.

Check out my alarm success story and other theft prevention tips:

http://audioforum.termpro.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/15/t/000611.html

I have added a 4th siren now, a 120dB very high pitch screaming piezo inside.

New Post 02-11-2006 09:54 PM
GlassWolf

eh, I owned a sign business for wuite a while so I made all of the logos myself. The alpine one was prtty though.. blue ///// and whie ALPINE letters, all in 3M reflective vinyl like they use onpolie cars. man when headlights hit that back window at night, it lit up like it was neon. Everybody around knew my car anyway though.. it was the show car for our store so most of the people where I lived knew it on sight. The stickers at that point didn't make a big difference haha yeah I added that piezo screamer under the dash of my jeep as well.. great trick that one was. keeps peole from spending time looking for the brain under your dash when they're going deaf in the process.

New Post 02-12-2006 01:47 AM
500000watts

where can i get a blinking light, and how much are they?

New Post 06-07-2006 03:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 500000watts Click here to Send 500000watts a Private Message Find more posts by 500000watts Add 500000watts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFVega

Radio Shack

quote:
Originally posted on 06-07-2006 by 500000watts
where can i get a blinking light, and how much are they?

Radio Shack (check out my 1st post at the bottom). They cost about $3.69 (without the 2 AA batts).

New Post 06-09-2006 08:06 PM
L5GP

Maybe I was misunderstood? The car came with the factory security system with the blinking light and whatever. but then the car starter was put in and the security system wouldnt work. i also did not have the factory remote, i was wondering how i could arm it or just do take the fake and obviously highly scorned route of just getting the light to blink.

New Post 06-10-2006 01:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for L5GP Click here to Send L5GP a Private Message Find more posts by L5GP Add L5GP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
500000watts

how long will it run off the AA battery, isnt there a way you can wire them right into your eclectrical system?

New Post 06-10-2006 10:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 500000watts Click here to Send 500000watts a Private Message Find more posts by 500000watts Add 500000watts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFVega

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-10-2006 by 500000watts
how long will it run off the AA battery, isnt there a way you can wire them right into your eclectrical system?

It will run a good couple months continuous on the 2 AA, but it also depends if you turn it off sometimes (when not needed) and the quality of the batteries (cheap vs name brand, ie.,Duracell, Energizer, etc...)

Yes, you can wire a blinking LED tapped into your electrical system with a toggle switch to turn on & off, but I like the Radio Shack batt pack red LED. It is easier to install and VERY BRIGHT! Just hide the batt pack/+ - wires and install the LED in a existing or drilled hole in dash.

New Post 06-10-2006 04:40 PM
chiefaudiophile

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-10-2006 by L5GP
Maybe I was misunderstood? The car came with the factory security system with the blinking light and whatever. but then the car starter was put in and the security system wouldnt work. i also did not have the factory remote, i was wondering how i could arm it or just do take the fake and obviously highly scorned route of just getting the light to blink.

Dude your post is being over run. I think the best advice would be to have someone at your local shop tap that led with the output from the aftermarket alarm. I have done this a few times now and it looks pretty clean but most stock alarms are crap so if anyone sees that light blinking they won't even think to check for a shock sensor.

New Post 07-03-2006 06:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chiefaudiophile Click here to Send chiefaudiophile a Private Message Find more posts by chiefaudiophile Add chiefaudiophile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting