Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > CarStereo.com Lobby > car audio into home audio
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zblee

car audio into home audio

how do you hook up a power car audio things like a amp and cdplayer inside of your home? im going to be pulling a stereo out of a car and would like to temporarly put it in my living room if possible..

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-15-2005 09:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zblee Click here to Send zblee a Private Message Find more posts by zblee Add zblee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bassaholic

a computer power supply, you will need a wiring diagram to see which is 12v(+) and which is your ground(-).you can usually find new ones for $20 to $60.

New Post 12-15-2005 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bassaholic Click here to Send bassaholic a Private Message Find more posts by bassaholic Add bassaholic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimmyjam

sigh, people just don't believe that I've fried a number of computer power supplies trying to run amps off of them. A $20 atx psu definatly won't do it. You may be able to run the HU off of it maybe. Yellow wires are 12V, red ones are 5V and black is ground. what you really want is one of these. or a car battery that you keep recharging.

New Post 12-15-2005 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jimmyjam Click here to Send jimmyjam a Private Message Find more posts by jimmyjam Add jimmyjam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
9oh7

there are some good comp power supplies out there. i mean sure they are as much as an amp but they can run upwards of 500watts and that is some serious power. i have never used one for anything but computers so good luck. but why would u need an inverter wouldnt that change DC-AC???? or at least that is what i have been told. but car battery sounds like the best idea i have heard.

New Post 12-16-2005 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 9oh7 Click here to Send 9oh7 a Private Message Find more posts by 9oh7 Add 9oh7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zblee

so do you think that an antec 430watt would run all of it?

New Post 12-17-2005 06:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zblee Click here to Send zblee a Private Message Find more posts by zblee Add zblee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
9oh7

true bule?

New Post 12-17-2005 10:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 9oh7 Click here to Send 9oh7 a Private Message Find more posts by 9oh7 Add 9oh7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FitzyG

not worth the money or time, buy a decent home audio system

New Post 12-18-2005 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FitzyG Click here to Send FitzyG a Private Message Find more posts by FitzyG Add FitzyG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimmyjam

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-18-2005 by FitzyG
not worth the money or time, buy a decent home audio system

This guy knows what he's talking about

New Post 12-18-2005 09:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jimmyjam Click here to Send jimmyjam a Private Message Find more posts by jimmyjam Add jimmyjam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zblee

dont have money, but i do have a stereo in my truck that is coming out and no where to go.. and i dont have a good stereo in my house, so figured it would be cheaper to give it power then to buy a whole new system, how much could a power source cost? thats the ONLY thing that im missing.

New Post 12-18-2005 09:03 PM
FitzyG

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-18-2005 by jimmyjam
This guy knows what he's talking about

i sell home audio for a living...

New Post 12-18-2005 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for FitzyG Click here to Send FitzyG a Private Message Find more posts by FitzyG Add FitzyG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zblee

figures, i hate biased nonhelpfull replies :)

New Post 12-18-2005 11:33 PM
jimmyjam

I'm tellin ya man its a waste of money to run a car amp off of AC. my first link was bad, sorry, here is a CHEAP ps, here is a MORE EXPENSIVE one. Your best bet is to sell your amp on ebay and buy a home amp, again, on ebay. you'll MAKE money if you do that.

New Post 12-19-2005 01:05 PM
zblee

is that the only thing that i really need to get is a home audio amp? do you think that 2 jl 10w0's would sound good in 2 properly built boxes for in a house?

New Post 12-19-2005 03:39 PM
FitzyG

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-18-2005 by zblee
figures, i hate biased nonhelpfull replies :)

well, seeing as how if you don't buy it from ME it doesn't help at all, and unless you live in NEBRASKA that's not going to happen, so I don't see how that was biased. And taking the time to invest in a decent home stereo instead will be much, much better and easier,and retain its value better, so i think I was being pretty damn helpful. Don't give me newb shit.

Using car audio drivers for home will work fine, however. You can pick up a cheap amp for your speakers from Onkyo for like 170 or less if you want stereo or 250 or less if you want surround. For the sub amp, you're on your own.. parts express has DIY home sub amps i think...

New Post 12-19-2005 04:37 PM
jimmyjam

if you're just looking for a sub amp then get one of these. or ebay
those amps don't like loads less than 4ohm tho so keep that in mind.

New Post 12-19-2005 04:44 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting