Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > opinions on JVC Arsenal or Kenwood units?
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
delawaredrew

opinions on JVC Arsenal or Kenwood units?

Does anyone have an opinion on JVC's Arsenal line of head units? I'd like to see it cost in the $250 range. I've been lookng at the KD AR760 and 860 'cause of their Burr Brown DA's. How about the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X589 or 689? The chosen unit will be installed in my Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab with Infinity 6010 separates in the front and Memphis Audio 6 1/2 in the rear. A kicker KX200 amp and 8" Comp VR in the storage well will be providing the bass. I already have the rest of the system. The speakers are in the truck, the sub and amp are waiting here for a head unit. Drew

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-21-2005 08:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for delawaredrew Click here to Send delawaredrew a Private Message Find more posts by delawaredrew Add delawaredrew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delawaredrew

Noone has any opinions? Or are they both such pieces o'crap that nobody likes them at all?

New Post 12-24-2005 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for delawaredrew Click here to Send delawaredrew a Private Message Find more posts by delawaredrew Add delawaredrew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack10525

This site is kinda screwed up. Sometimes you get a bunch of answers and other times nothing. Well I like JVC. I've got a cheaper jvc cd reciever now that I like but want to upgrade to a AR series. I like all the features they have. I think they are a good brand. Most seem to prefer Pioneer or Alpine.

New Post 01-09-2006 10:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jack10525 Click here to Send jack10525 a Private Message Find more posts by jack10525 Add jack10525 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delawaredrew

I decided on the Arsenal 860 and am waiting for it's arrival now. The SD card feature is what sold me.

New Post 01-09-2006 12:07 PM
jack10525

What??? The AR860 has an SD card slot. I thought that only came on the AR960. I guess I'll check out the 860. Thanks man. Let me know what you think when you get it.

New Post 01-10-2006 07:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jack10525 Click here to Send jack10525 a Private Message Find more posts by jack10525 Add jack10525 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delawaredrew

Sorry man, that model number was a mistake. I've been looking at so many recevivers that I lost track of what I actually bought. I don't know if the 860 has the slot. When the package arrived last night I remembered that I bought the 960. Off ebay for $200 shipped to me. Another 60 or so in the SD reader and 1gb card. ========But for that total price the Arsenal 5500 is possible, it comes with the card and reader in the package. The 5500 also has a trick little touch screen control system.

New Post 01-10-2006 08:22 AM
jack10525

Cool, let me know how you like the AR 960. I like it too because of the SD card slot....

New Post 01-10-2006 01:11 PM
530iNoire

I am a JVC fan, was looking hard at the AR5500, due to the SD card, reader, PicT technology, Voice support features (it talks to ya), however I opted for the KD-AVX1 DVD/CD player (3" screen on faceplate). I may still drop down and get that AR5500, as I have just discovered that the unit I bought does not have the ability to personalize the disply like your model and others with the PICT feature. I intall mine tomorrow... I will post a review shortly.... Bottom line JVC is more bang for the buck, and their power ratings are 2006 compliant. Let me know how you enjoy the AR-960

New Post 01-24-2006 12:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 530iNoire Click here to Send 530iNoire a Private Message Find more posts by 530iNoire Add 530iNoire to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delawaredrew

The AR-960 is installed and so far I am happy with it. Once I got the toyota stock hu out the JVC went right in. It actually has mounts that match the Toyota brackets exactly, though it places the JVC a little too far out of the dash for me, so a little customization of the brackets and stock plastic storage pocket it went in flush with the rest of the dash. So here's the review: -----Menus are a little complex, but not too hateful to operate. -----EQ is 3 band parametric, so far has been ok, but another couple of bands would be nice. -----Display is fine, and you can pick your own colors although the buttons are always red, but not too bright. As a rule I hate bright lights in my truck and I am okay with the buttons. It is not dimmable. Instead I can set a different screen color for night and day, since I have the 960 hooked up to a dash light circuit it changes automatically when I turn on the truck headlights. The faceplate angle setting is pretty cool, helps readability. I don't care about the picture displays personally, the truck is my daily driver and I can't look at the thing and drive. But you can set your own pics or animations. That seems to be a big point for other users. -----Sub out could be more variable, only three settings 60, 85, and 115hz. 8 volume levels. It is enough flexibilty to get my sub to sound great. -----CD/SD playback: mp3's sound great (I use 192kbps or better), but it is a little slow in switching from track to track. Not really slow but 1-2 seconds sometimes. My new 1 gb SD card is defective so I'm waiting for a replacement, but I would expect that the card playback is the same as cd. -----FM sounds good, but music stations here suck so all I listen to on it is NPR.

New Post 01-24-2006 02:49 PM
jack10525

Good review. I'm still waiting to buy mine. I've got other things I need first....

New Post 01-25-2006 07:43 AM
Trager

I have an AR-5500, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm running a DLS CA-51 amp with DLS UP-35 speakers up front. With the stock crossovers, that combo tended towards being very bright, the AR-5500 was flexible enough to let me tweak the sound to what I wanted. In addition, since I drive a convertible, I get significantly different response with the top up than with the top down. The 3 user EQ settings are perfect. Oh yeah, and in case I didn't mention it, I love the look of the AR-5500. Very clean and simple, and with the color options, it matches the interior of my BMW perfectly (which is a very very rare thing).

New Post 01-25-2006 10:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Trager Click here to Send Trager a Private Message Find more posts by Trager Add Trager to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
530iNoire

I have installed my JVC KD-AVX1 DVD player. It has been about 2 weeks and so far, I am very happy with it. the 3" screen seems small, but somehow your eyes adjust, and it is big enough to enjoy a good concert DVD. Vert clear (you have to by pass the parking brake hook up that prevents you from seeing the video while parking brake is not engaged... minor detail) I am running a 4ch amp, on front comps (cadence Momentum series) and boston Acoustic coaxials as rear fills NX57, along with a pioneer sub and 2 ch amp my neighbor sold me for $50.00 (I plan to upgrade pretty soon, but for now I have some bottom, and sounds are more than adequate... especially since I had a cassette deck in my 1995 vehicle LOL... This unit is very functional, performs well, and has wow effect to those who listen and view (Diana Krall live in Paris is excellent)... I still my get my wife that AR5500 so that I will have both at my disposal. (still curious about that SD card, and the PICT feature) I will add Sirius,and maybe an extra monitor or two later. The options are endless with this unit. I have not had the chance to record on a DVD (will hold 4.7 GB of Music 100 hours of compressed music files.. ) who needs a changer, when you can have multiple folders of different music types on 1 disc. The folder are easy to navigate, and will provide enoug music to drive cross country and back.

New Post 02-09-2006 04:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 530iNoire Click here to Send 530iNoire a Private Message Find more posts by 530iNoire Add 530iNoire to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MrBlack

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-24-2006 by delawaredrew
The AR-960 is installed and so far I am happy with it. Once I got the toyota stock hu out the JVC went right in. It actually has mounts that match the Toyota brackets exactly, though it places the JVC a little too far out of the dash for me, so a little customization of the brackets and stock plastic storage pocket it went in flush with the rest of the dash. So here's the review: -----Menus are a little complex, but not too hateful to operate. -----EQ is 3 band parametric, so far has been ok, but another couple of bands would be nice. -----Display is fine, and you can pick your own colors although the buttons are always red, but not too bright. As a rule I hate bright lights in my truck and I am okay with the buttons. It is not dimmable. Instead I can set a different screen color for night and day, since I have the 960 hooked up to a dash light circuit it changes automatically when I turn on the truck headlights. The faceplate angle setting is pretty cool, helps readability. I don't care about the picture displays personally, the truck is my daily driver and I can't look at the thing and drive. But you can set your own pics or animations. That seems to be a big point for other users. -----Sub out could be more variable, only three settings 60, 85, and 115hz. 8 volume levels. It is enough flexibilty to get my sub to sound great. -----CD/SD playback: mp3's sound great (I use 192kbps or better), but it is a little slow in switching from track to track. Not really slow but 1-2 seconds sometimes. My new 1 gb SD card is defective so I'm waiting for a replacement, but I would expect that the card playback is the same as cd. -----FM sounds good, but music stations here suck so all I listen to on it is NPR.

are you sure the SD disk is defective? I read in the manual that the largest size is ~500 mb...i am researching all over to find out if this is true or not

New Post 04-15-2006 08:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MrBlack Click here to Send MrBlack a Private Message Find more posts by MrBlack Add MrBlack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccgooser

AR5500 & SD Cards.

Hi, Did anyone ever end up working out what the max SD limitation is for the AR5500. The specs say 512mb, but I too would love to know if a larger card would in fact work. Thanks. CCG.

New Post 06-18-2006 09:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccgooser Click here to Send ccgooser a Private Message Find more posts by ccgooser Add ccgooser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delawaredrew

SD card size

I've been using several 1gb SD cards with no problemsfor a few months now. Now that 2gb cards are out I might try one of those.

New Post 06-20-2006 05:17 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting