Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > OLD ScHool.. overated
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Amator

OLD ScHool.. overated

How good are the old school PPI's compared to high end stuff nowadays. Pple keep telling me that my PPI pro650 is past its prime. This is the same amp as the Art .2 series but so called improved upon. I thought the old school Hifonics Zeus used in antr set up was preety good too. am i livng in the dark ages???

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-11-2006 01:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Amator Click here to Send Amator a Private Message Find more posts by Amator Add Amator to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

I'm not familiar with that model, but I know a lot of PPI's older stuff, especially the Arts are commonly mentioned in the "best amps ever" threads.

New Post 01-11-2006 11:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Amator

well, it has exactly the same functions and layout as the A606.2 but slightly newer and in plain clothing shell.

New Post 01-11-2006 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Amator Click here to Send Amator a Private Message Find more posts by Amator Add Amator to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avman

Depending on how old..."old school HiFonics" I believe derived from ZED Audio..and that supposedly was some of the best shit goin. When they were all hand built by a bunch of guys in a garage with a case or two of beer....lol

New Post 01-12-2006 06:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Avman Click here to Send Avman a Private Message Find more posts by Avman Add Avman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avman

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-12-2006 by Avman
Depending on how old..."old school HiFonics" I believe derived from ZED Audio..and that supposedly was some of the best shit goin. When they were all hand built by a bunch of guys in a garage with a case or two of beer....lol

oh ya... and old school in general..It is DEFINATELY not overrated! Most top shelf old school stuff from 10 years ago still costs more used than alot of newer crap and will outperform just about anything. My buddy recently took apart my 2 MMats 4 channel amps... an " OLD SCHOOL" one from 1998 and a newer one..I cant believe the difference in build quality and internal components.. the "OLD SCHOOL" one puts the new one to shame and I have pics to prove and I am HAPPILY installing the 1998 one and putting the newer one back on ebay. And in my last post I should've said a couple guys instead of a bunch

New Post 01-12-2006 06:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Avman Click here to Send Avman a Private Message Find more posts by Avman Add Avman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Amator

Yeah, but up to what level. I mean there is serious gd stuff too like ARC audio. If im going to remain old school, whats the amp that i can get to run with the best,,$$$ no object.. I might want to run a good super old school as he has just asked me to get the BEST i can find and replace his ARC audio 4 channel cxl-R just to see the diffrence. If the old school "wins", i get to keep the amp at his cost. We'll probably have 4-5 guys judge this. he had DLS componenets.

New Post 01-12-2006 08:24 PM
RPMSOUNDS

Zed Audoi & old school

If old school Zed Audio stuff is so great and wanted and always talked about then why dose no one realy talk about the new Zed Audio stuff? Could it be due to the fact that the old school amps had great designs that only has a part to do with Zed Audio? Just asking since I never see anyone talking about any amps Zed Audio builds now.... well other then to say that memos have been sent to owners of amps that are rated at 1ohm to say the amp might not handle 1ohm for long.... or something along them lines.... Most of the amps back in the day where designed by Zed and not built by Zed.... some still use his basic design and just built on it from then....

New Post 01-12-2006 09:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RPMSOUNDS Click here to Send RPMSOUNDS a Private Message Find more posts by RPMSOUNDS Add RPMSOUNDS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlienAudio

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-12-2006 by Amator
Yeah, but up to what level. I mean there is serious gd stuff too like ARC audio. If im going to remain old school, whats the amp that i can get to run with the best,,$$$ no object.. I might want to run a good super old school as he has just asked me to get the BEST i can find and replace his ARC audio 4 channel cxl-R just to see the diffrence. If the old school "wins", i get to keep the amp at his cost. We'll probably have 4-5 guys judge this. he had DLS componenets.

If the 4 channel Arc amp you speak of is the 4150-CXLR then you'll have a hard time beating it. I owned the 4150 and to this day it is the best amp I have ever owned hands down. It makes you reconsider what you consider audiophile sound. the speaker control of that amp is phenominal. I am however a huge fan of the Art series amps! check my install on my Accord and you'll see my Ax606.2, which in my opinion is one of the best 6 channel amps ever made. I have seen the Pro650 and I don't agree that it's an improvement over the Art Series. PPI stated that the Powerclass was an improvement over the Art series but I'd run an Art Series over a Powerclass any day! I'm not saying that the Charcoal gray Powerclass amps are not great amps, I'm just saying that they aren't built as well as the Art Series. I personally believe that the AM series and ProMos amps by PPI are the best amps they ever produced! with the Art Series .2 series being a close second. Good luck with your comparison, I do however feel that once you hear that CXLR you will be completely blown away.

New Post 01-12-2006 09:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AlienAudio Click here to Send AlienAudio a Private Message Find more posts by AlienAudio Add AlienAudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avman

RE: Zed Audoi & old school

quote:
Originally posted on 01-12-2006 by RPMSOUNDS
If old school Zed Audio stuff is so great and wanted and always talked about then why dose no one realy talk about the new Zed Audio stuff? Could it be due to the fact that the old school amps had great designs that only has a part to do with Zed Audio? Just asking since I never see anyone talking about any amps Zed Audio builds now.... well other then to say that memos have been sent to owners of amps that are rated at 1ohm to say the amp might not handle 1ohm for long.... or something along them lines.... Most of the amps back in the day where designed by Zed and not built by Zed.... some still use his basic design and just built on it from then....

I think its basically what you said...maybe someone else knows a little more.. But the way I see it... in the very beginning, Zed designed and built the amps.. those are the desired, talked about ones and probably hard to come by..and they were built by hand..Zed made his money, sold the rights to the designs, "HiFonics" and maybe a few others..and then they were assembly line made and quality went down and Zed basically turned into the everyday amp I'll call it. I really dont have any interest whatsoever in "new current model amps" so I cant really comment on the current stuff. Alien... I must say... when I see your posts...I read them and appreciate all your knowledge you put into this forum and after the comments you made about that Arc 4 channel...I'm going to have to look into aquiring 1. How do you think they compare to Mmats?

New Post 01-12-2006 10:47 PM
Amator

yeah, i know what the ARC 4150 can do.. its just that i blurted out that there are some old school amps that can be equal to it.... jeez

New Post 01-12-2006 10:58 PM
cmeace

I'm an old school guy. I own some 16 year old Hifonics amps that are still working, and working well, today. They are in no way overrated. One particular one that I have is rated at 2 x 50 at 4 ohms. It is half ohm stable so bridged 1 ohm it puts out 550 watts! I've run it for hours that way and it has never shut off. I was talking with some tech guys at Hifonics the other day and he basically told me that what I was using is still very good, it's just outdated. He said the new stuff is more efficient. New amps start taking stuff into the digital relm. They don't generate near as much heat. Since the old stuff is getting harder and harder to come by, it looks like we all better start getting used to the new.

New Post 01-17-2006 08:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cmeace Click here to Send cmeace a Private Message Find more posts by cmeace Add cmeace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
loumill

NEW ZED STUFF??

To the post of why you do not see any new ZED stuff is because Steve just designs Home theater stuff now(as far as I know) He is completely removed from car audio. And I do the same with Alien...I have missed reading his posts lately, I know he just moved and must be busy, but he is highly respected on the forum.

New Post 01-17-2006 02:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for loumill Click here to Send loumill a Private Message Find more posts by loumill Add loumill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RPMSOUNDS

RE: NEW ZED STUFF??

quote:
Originally posted on 01-17-2006 by loumill
To the post of why you do not see any new ZED stuff is because Steve just designs Home theater stuff now(as far as I know) He is completely removed from car audio. And I do the same with Alien...I have missed reading his posts lately, I know he just moved and must be busy, but he is highly respected on the forum.

www.zedaudio.com has car audio amps on there and I have not used them but seen people talk abou how Zed Audio sent letters to some people saying some of the amps that said they did 1ohm mono do not handle it.... I just wanted to know if everyone likes the older Zed Audio stuff so much then why do non of them talk about the new stuff? I was looking at buying some since Zed Audio is said to be so good but I found nothing in the power rating I needed.

New Post 01-18-2006 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RPMSOUNDS Click here to Send RPMSOUNDS a Private Message Find more posts by RPMSOUNDS Add RPMSOUNDS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
loumill

I stand corrected

Yeah, that was brought to my attention by a buddy of mine. I knew he had been doing Home Audio for the past few years. I am glad to see him come back to car audio, everything he has done rocks

New Post 01-18-2006 08:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for loumill Click here to Send loumill a Private Message Find more posts by loumill Add loumill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

Zed has had trouble on some class D designs. Every a/b he's ever built has been a tank. They're all classics IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANZAR-OPTIDRIVE-SL50-6-MINT-RARE_W0QQitemZ5851893893QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$40 for 50w
http://cgi.ebay.com/LANZAR-OPTI-DRIVE-PLUS-AMPLIFIER-AMP-50-WATT-STEREO-CAR_W0QQitemZ5848421989QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cadence-SweetPoison-A5000-SweetAmp-Zed-Audio_W0QQitemZ5850095217QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Acoustics-usa-6300-Zed-Made-6-channel-SQ-amp-LOOK_W0QQitemZ5849147128QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hifonics-VII-Zeus-Zed-Old-School-not-autotek-lanzar_W0QQitemZ5855162086QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hifonics-VI-Colossus-Zed-Nice-Old-School-Powerhouse_W0QQitemZ5855176270QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ACOUSTICS-USA2150-MADE-BY-ZED-AUDIO_W0QQitemZ5855654249QQcategoryZ18796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Current line:
http://zedaudio.com/home.html

New Post 01-18-2006 11:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting