Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Other Mobile Electronics > Installation Time
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rw9122

Installation Time

I hear people saying they can install an alarm or even a remote starter in less than an hour...maybe 1.5 hours for a remote starter. I've been installing for years and never rush, but don't think I could intall a remote starter in an hour if I did. I never use wire taps and always tie wrap all wire safe and secure. I'd like to know who out there can do this and how they do it?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-17-2006 09:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rw9122 Click here to Send rw9122 a Private Message Find more posts by rw9122 Add rw9122 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donsway

I've got it down to 1/2 hour, but I can't tell you how. It's a secret. But it does take alot of focus.

New Post 02-17-2006 09:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Donsway Click here to Send Donsway a Private Message Find more posts by Donsway Add Donsway to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
salcedohumberto

RE: Installation Time

quote:
Originally posted on 02-17-2006 by rw9122
I hear people saying they can install an alarm or even a remote starter in less than an hour...maybe 1.5 hours for a remote starter. I've been installing for years and never rush, but don't think I could intall a remote starter in an hour if I did. I never use wire taps and always tie wrap all wire safe and secure. I'd like to know who out there can do this and how they do it?

practice my friend...some cars are very easy to dow, like new F-150, older Chevy CK Body, and so on. once youve done quite a few then you know by memory the wires, the locations, the relays and resistance to use...etc...etc...

and most of those 1hr remote start installs are very poorly done, by that I mean, its a mess inside, not neat at all. what a lot of those guys do is after everything is up there with all the wires, they tart puting like strips of tape on a surface until is like a sheet and then wrap around all the wires so it dosnt show. and thats it.

but for a good installer with experience, and doing it like it should be, it will take him about 2hrs-2.5hrs...plus half an hour more of testing each component and adjusting the alarm. and leaving everything very neat and organize in there.

also t-taps conectors, barrel connectors, quick disck (male conectors) are always fast and if done properly with the right gage of conector a safe & secure conections. that saves you time. altho you can spend 50$ easy on a 1000pc t-tap bag but its damn usefull. but its always good to have the shop full of different type of quick conectors.

New Post 02-17-2006 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for salcedohumberto Click here to Send salcedohumberto a Private Message Find more posts by salcedohumberto Add salcedohumberto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rw9122

You can't be soldering your connections. So what's the big secret?

New Post 02-17-2006 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rw9122 Click here to Send rw9122 a Private Message Find more posts by rw9122 Add rw9122 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
salcedohumberto

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-17-2006 by rw9122
You can't be soldering your connections. So what's the big secret?

didnt you read what I wrote?...

practice, knowledge, tools, conectors...electrical wiring diagrams or info, and knowing how to do each type of relays for different aplications. also having the modules for remote start like the transponder key bypass, and resistors pack for gm keys, door lock interface...etc...etc...

New Post 02-17-2006 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for salcedohumberto Click here to Send salcedohumberto a Private Message Find more posts by salcedohumberto Add salcedohumberto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
salcedohumberto

also the fact that like i said...pooorly done...the customer dosnt even know whats in there...and never will until some other installer sees that trying to fix whatever the problem he may have.

New Post 02-17-2006 11:05 PM
Donsway

HaHaHaHa............ I love this site!!!!

New Post 02-17-2006 11:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Donsway Click here to Send Donsway a Private Message Find more posts by Donsway Add Donsway to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rw9122

Well, from now on I'll pay you guy's a half hour labor to come and install remote starts for me. I'll be retired in no time! Thanks for the input guys.

New Post 02-18-2006 12:22 PM
9oh7

hey i was thinking about installing a nice alarm/remote start. i was thinking viper or mabye even nicer. i need something that will be good in cold weather (for Alaska). but i still want great quality. and i hate paying retards that have no clue what they are doing to screw up my truck, so i want to install myself. i know that this cant be easy. I also dont want it when my talegate drops for it 2 set the alarm off, so can someone tell me how to do this, or a link that can, and recomond a remote start/amp. ohh btw i have a 97' chevy k1500.

New Post 02-28-2006 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 9oh7 Click here to Send 9oh7 a Private Message Find more posts by 9oh7 Add 9oh7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
salcedohumberto

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-28-2006 by 9oh7
hey i was thinking about installing a nice alarm/remote start. i was thinking viper or mabye even nicer. i need something that will be good in cold weather (for Alaska). but i still want great quality. and i hate paying retards that have no clue what they are doing to screw up my truck, so i want to install myself. i know that this cant be easy. I also dont want it when my talegate drops for it 2 set the alarm off, so can someone tell me how to do this, or a link that can, and recomond a remote start/amp. ohh btw i have a 97' chevy k1500.

its not THAT difficult but if you havnt done this before it will take you a lot of time and effort. so you got to stay cool and take your time.

I can give you the wiring diagram of the car with all the info your going to need, I can email that to you.

viper is overrated, yes dei systems are very good but there are many others that dont cost as much and will give you the same or even more.

I like Prestige alarm systems, theyr very easy to use, to install and audiovox is a corporation that offers no hassle warrantys (in the case you screw up lol) the new aps-997 is very nice, and the remotes look nice.

check out Code Alarm, Crime Stopper, Auto Page, DEI (viper, clifford, python, avital, automate...etc), Prestige by Audiovox.

these are good brands, that you can rely on that are not defective, some easier to install/use than others and prices vary a lot.

the tailgate wont trigger the alarm unless you run wires & a pin switch to the tailgate. also the shock sensor will be in the front, if you want more protection put one on the back cause if something hits you in the back its gonna have to be hard to trigger the alarm.

New Post 02-28-2006 11:03 PM
9oh7

thanks a lot man. that helps. i am just learning how to install stuff, but i know enough about electronics to read a wiring diagram. lol.

New Post 02-28-2006 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 9oh7 Click here to Send 9oh7 a Private Message Find more posts by 9oh7 Add 9oh7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting