Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > 550RMS Amp. What subs should i get!!!
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Zoomy

550RMS Amp. What subs should i get!!!

I have the Kenwood KAC-8152d it can pump out 550RMS at 2ohms. I have a small car(the Cobalt) and want really deep deep bass. I am looking at either JL or kicker. But what models! and how many and in what enclosure. Should i get 2 of the lower end JL's in a sealed box, or just 1 high end JL 12'' in a sealed or ported. What would give me the deepest bass. enclosure and how many subs, and i want to go 12'' minumum. can spend around $500.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 03-26-2006 03:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoomy Click here to Send Zoomy a Private Message Find more posts by Zoomy Add Zoomy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zoomy

im looking at maybe just one 12W6v2. would that make deep bass? and which type of encloser for deepest bass.

New Post 03-26-2006 04:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoomy Click here to Send Zoomy a Private Message Find more posts by Zoomy Add Zoomy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thunder

Hey uh, I just thought I'd give you a heads up. If you build an enclosure for a 12" or larger, make SURE it'll fit in your trunk. Nothin like gettin it all done, and not bein able to fit it in. I don't know how it compares, but I just took my spare tire out and used the tub as an enclosure, so I didn't use up any trunk space. I could be wrong, but I don't think enclosure size or configuration really matters in your trunk. It's all about movin air. I've tried my 10" Audiobahn in several enclosures and they all sound the same in my trunk. Good luck.

New Post 03-26-2006 09:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder Click here to Send Thunder a Private Message Find more posts by Thunder Add Thunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zoomy

Ok so i went out and purchased 2 12'' SWS-1222D Alpine type-S subs. They are rated for 300RMS @ 2ohms and my amp does 550RMS @ 2ohms. I got a dual 12'' sealed box and am going to set it up tonight. Before i do however, would it be worth it going back and just getting 2 12'' type-R's. My current amp wont be able to push them as good as they are rated for 500RMS each, but, would i get more bass out of them with my current amp then with the 2 12'' type S's i have right now? Basically, how good are the Alpine Type-S's (sws-1222d) when pushed hard.

New Post 03-27-2006 12:03 AM
Zoomy

well after getting it all hooked up and installed, its not bad. but it seems to be around the same base level(just a little deeper) then my 2 10'' @ 4ohms running at 300RMS. However with my amp i can change the input level higher (then what i was previously running) and then it really gets loud but the headlights! they dim like crazy. I have read all about maybe its a bad battery or something or maybe 550RMS isnt enough to need a capacitor but on a brand new car it shouldnt be doing that so i think i will need to buy one. The subs were wired perfectly for 2ohms. I know i can get more bass out of these subs i just think the battery isnt giving it enough power for the constant hits(rap, dance ect..) Any ideas?

New Post 03-27-2006 06:36 AM
Zoomy

^^Bump^^ Please help. Should I get a cap?

New Post 03-27-2006 03:52 PM
LeofromtheH

shoulda gone w/ a kicker solobaric. they produce awesomely deep bass but sq is not the best, but u said u were lookin for deep bass so thats wat iwoulda gone with

New Post 03-27-2006 06:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LeofromtheH Click here to Send LeofromtheH a Private Message Find more posts by LeofromtheH Add LeofromtheH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zoomy

But with 550RMS would I notice any difference upgrading my 2 12'' type-s to 2 12'' type-r's. The R's are rated for 500RMS each and my amp can only do 550RMS total and i would need 2 of em.

New Post 03-27-2006 07:06 PM
LeofromtheH

yea you're right. you'd need more power if you wana go with the type r's. but a cap wold solve the headlights dimming. it'll also imrpove bass response awhole lot, even though u only got 550 watts

New Post 03-27-2006 07:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LeofromtheH Click here to Send LeofromtheH a Private Message Find more posts by LeofromtheH Add LeofromtheH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mesatrin

This is not entirely true. A cap may not actually solve your problem. A cap doesn't produce more electrical power. A cap just stores power for you. It is some what like another battery, but a battery that disperses quicker (since it doesn’t do the chemical break down that a battery does to store power). A cap really just makes it so that you hit electrical failure later, your alternator still needs to charge both the cap and the battery. Your alternator is the only thing in your car that produces electricity to power all the electronics in the car. Upgrading your alternator or adding a second alternator with a second batter to run all of your aftermarket products is the only real guarantee for stopping your dimming lights….But you don’t really seem like you are running an extremely powerful system, so the cap may work for you. Another option is a second battery with a relay switch….Now onto the r-type vs s-type. The R-Type is a biiiig upgrade from the S-Type. A single DVC R-Type 12 should out hit two S-Types. I actually had a single that when ran next to 2 s-types was MUCH louder and still very clear, and I ran the R-Type with 550 watts RMS at 4 ohms.

New Post 03-27-2006 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mesatrin Click here to Send mesatrin a Private Message Find more posts by mesatrin Add mesatrin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zoomy

Ok cool, thanks for the input. After reading your opinion on the Type-R's i think im going to take out my S's and return them then get the type-R's. Today i bought a Stinger cap(the one that looks like the NOS bottle lol) so i am going to try and hook it up tonight. I'll let you know how it works, if im still alive... i read if you hook it up wrong it will explode... and im a noob... still not quite sure where to put the wires, and it will be dark when i install it. If i dont survive however, thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

New Post 03-27-2006 10:18 PM
ugzz

yeahhh

hey mesatrin when we were at that concert that dood with the s types had a ported box 2. and your r type was definelty out hitting his stuff, but his box was prefab and looked SUPER goofy and tacky with big colorfull ports and crap. he came over to see your system and was all stupified that you only had 1 sub and it was an r type hehe. that was awesome though, alota compliments on havin the one r type while we were tailgating in the lot hehe. i gota admit i was jealous and i have 2 audiobahn 12's but we all know the sq on those is just *mildly* less then the type r ;^) (obviously sarcastic hehe)

New Post 03-30-2006 06:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ugzz Click here to Send ugzz a Private Message Find more posts by ugzz Add ugzz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting