Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > Did I fry my Kenwood KDC-8017?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CFX_MAN

Did I fry my Kenwood KDC-8017?

Re-installing my Kenwood KDC-8017 after doing work under the dash, I noticed a small spark and when the case touched the sheet metal around the opening. I know, I should have had the battery disconnected, hindsite is 20/20. Now it doesn't power on, but I can hear some static in the speakers when I plug it in. I tried resetting it, to no avail. So here's my question, does anyone have any suggestions before I go drop another $300 on a head unit? Can this thing be fixed for less than that? I know it is hard to diagnose with this little information, I just need to be pointed in the right direction. -Bummed out in Boston

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-17-2003 01:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CFX_MAN Click here to Send CFX_MAN a Private Message Find more posts by CFX_MAN Add CFX_MAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toyotadude

fuse

Check all of your fuses. Kick panel, behind the glove box, under the hood, everywhere. I had the same problem.

New Post 02-09-2003 02:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for toyotadude Click here to Send toyotadude a Private Message Find more posts by toyotadude Add toyotadude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CFX_MAN

Fuses

Well, I checked the fusebox and the fuse on the back of the stereo. I know the stereo is getting power because I used a voltmeter on the red and yellow leads, and it is not powering on - so I tend to think it is the head unit. This is really unfortunate because I thought it would just be the little fuse on the back of the deck, unfortunately no. Thanks for the reply.

New Post 02-09-2003 11:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CFX_MAN Click here to Send CFX_MAN a Private Message Find more posts by CFX_MAN Add CFX_MAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SWNAVAGENT

Bench it out

First of all, there should never have been any spark when you were putting the HU into the dash. You are supposed to be able to pull any head unit in and out of the sleeve any time you wish. There was something loose or some exposed wire or something out of the norm when this happened. It sucks to have a vital piece of your stereo go out, but i'd say you've got a fried something or other. Try hooking the HU up in a bench test - just hook it up directly to a 12v source, ground it and play through some bench speakers. If no sound, then no Head unit.

New Post 02-09-2003 11:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SWNAVAGENT Click here to Send SWNAVAGENT a Private Message Find more posts by SWNAVAGENT Add SWNAVAGENT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting