Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > alpine vs. eclipse vs. pioneer premier
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sublimaze

alpine vs. eclipse vs. pioneer premier

i'm deciding between an alpine CDA-9857 or CDA-9855, eclipse CD7000 or pioneer DEH-P980BT. i had an alpine HU years ago and loved it, but i've read their HUs from the last few years have been disappointing. i have never owned an eclipse but i know they're respected and have a large following. i don't know much about pioneer's premier series. bluetooth would be nice, but its not absolutely necessary. i don't plan to use the gps/navi on the eclipse CD7000, but its the only eclipse unit with OEL, all the dot matrix HUs are fugly. ipod functionality is not important to me. i'm considering the alpine CDA-9855 for the bass engine pro and time correction. which is the best HU?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 04-20-2006 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sublimaze Click here to Send sublimaze a Private Message Find more posts by sublimaze Add sublimaze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bladerunner

9855 better than the 9857(higher preout voltage in 55) i have had veeery good reviews from known people... lets you turn off the internal amp/display=less noise(the 57 too i think, i dunno about the other hu's) if not, i would buy the eclipse

New Post 04-20-2006 10:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bladerunner Click here to Send Bladerunner a Private Message Find more posts by Bladerunner Add Bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KickerKitty

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-20-2006 by Bladerunner
9855 better than the 9857(higher preout voltage in 55) i have had veeery good reviews from known people... lets you turn off the internal amp/display=less noise(the 57 too i think, i dunno about the other hu's) if not, i would buy the eclipse

The 880PRS has a defeatable amp, it also has every single option I have ever heard of for a head unit, fron time alignment to auto EQ and active networking. It is probably the most capable of all those head units.

New Post 04-20-2006 06:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KickerKitty Click here to Send KickerKitty a Private Message Find more posts by KickerKitty Add KickerKitty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: alpine vs. eclipse vs. pioneer premier

quote:
Originally posted on 04-20-2006 by sublimaze
i'm deciding between an alpine CDA-9857 or CDA-9855, eclipse CD7000 or pioneer DEH-P980BT. i had an alpine HU years ago and loved it, but i've read their HUs from the last few years have been disappointing. i have never owned an eclipse but i know they're respected and have a large following. i don't know much about pioneer's premier series. bluetooth would be nice, but its not absolutely necessary. i don't plan to use the gps/navi on the eclipse CD7000, but its the only eclipse unit with OEL, all the dot matrix HUs are fugly. ipod functionality is not important to me. i'm considering the alpine CDA-9855 for the bass engine pro and time correction. which is the best HU?

What features do you actually need/want?

New Post 04-20-2006 07:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pksimon28 Click here to Send pksimon28 a Private Message Find more posts by pksimon28 Add pksimon28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hammerhead

prs 880

The PRS 880 HAS 3 5V OUTS. This deck is worth every penny.

New Post 04-20-2006 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hammerhead Click here to Send hammerhead a Private Message Find more posts by hammerhead Add hammerhead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sublimaze

my z6's have their own crossover, and boston discourages using an active setup. maybe its just marketing hype, but after spending that much money on speakers, i'm not going leave the crossovers in a closet

New Post 04-21-2006 07:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sublimaze Click here to Send sublimaze a Private Message Find more posts by sublimaze Add sublimaze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nate86

I personally don't like Pioneer's line of headunits because they are so unnecessarily overloaded with "extra features." There's about a million different buttons and settings that just seem redundant and too complicated to learn. How hard should it be to pop in a CD and listen to your favorite music? With Pioneer headunits, it seems like the headunit overwhelms you with an assortment of settings that need to be adjusted before just being able to sit back and enjoy the music. I see it as a marketing ploy (Pioneer says "Hey, look how many things you can adjust or screw around with on our headunits--they must be awesome!" and then command a premium price for it), but if you are into adjusting countless settings within the headunit, this might be a good one for you.

When I'm shopping for a headunit, I look for simplicity and quality. I want a volume knob, a few buttons for track skipping, track reverse and presets, and maybe an internal equalizer and that's about it. That's why I would recommend the Alpine... simple and effective.

I've never even personally seen an Eclipse headunit, much less listened to one, so I can't really comment on that one.

New Post 04-21-2006 01:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Nate86 Click here to Send Nate86 a Private Message Find more posts by Nate86 Add Nate86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bladerunner

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-21-2006 by Nate86
I personally don't like Pioneer's line of headunits because they are so unnecessarily overloaded with "extra features." There's about a million different buttons and settings that just seem redundant and too complicated to learn. How hard should it be to pop in a CD and listen to your favorite music? With Pioneer headunits, it seems like the headunit overwhelms you with an assortment of settings that need to be adjusted before just being able to sit back and enjoy the music. I see it as a marketing ploy (Pioneer says "Hey, look how many things you can adjust or screw around with on our headunits--they must be awesome!" and then command a premium price for it), but if you are into adjusting countless settings within the headunit, this might be a good one for you.

When I'm shopping for a headunit, I look for simplicity and quality. I want a volume knob, a few buttons for track skipping, track reverse and presets, and maybe an internal equalizer and that's about it. That's why I would recommend the Alpine... simple and effective.

I've never even personally seen an Eclipse headunit, much less listened to one, so I can't really comment on that one.

yeah, I agree completely with you... why do they make listening cd's so complex?? that's what i like about alpines, an plus that...i like most the 79xx line, without internal amps... pioneer headunits satisfy your needs, and generate a ton new ones... (buying an Ipod, cell phone W/btooth, amplifiers the same line as the HU, etc etc etc) plus...if it's full of that sort of things, it must generate a lot of noise... can you compare between a 9855 and a p880prs in quality?(just popping in a CD and listening...ALL flat...)the pioneer is full of eq's because the starting signal's quality is not completely good so they try to enhance it with tons of different things

New Post 04-21-2006 03:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bladerunner Click here to Send Bladerunner a Private Message Find more posts by Bladerunner Add Bladerunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bladerunner

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-21-2006 by KickerKitty
I think the last two posters need a Sony.

whattt?? im' not saying the pioneer is a bad piece of equipment it's a very good one...but it doesn't suit my taste and this guy asked for a stereo that played cd's and said he didn't need all the xtras the pioneer has...so..for him is better to invest in a higher quality/less functionality CD player..

New Post 04-21-2006 07:58 PM
hammerhead

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-21-2006 by Bladerunner
whattt?? im' not saying the pioneer is a bad piece of equipment it's a very good one...but it doesn't suit my taste and this guy asked for a stereo that played cd's and said he didn't need all the xtras the pioneer has...so..for him is better to invest in a higher quality/less functionality CD player..

The PRS-880 HU is very easy to use. It has very good functionality Listening to CD's are extremely easy. You wont find a higher Quality HU IMO. Alpine and Eclipse and nice HU but I think The new premiers are much better in performace.

New Post 04-21-2006 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hammerhead Click here to Send hammerhead a Private Message Find more posts by hammerhead Add hammerhead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-21-2006 by Bladerunner
yeah, I agree completely with you... why do they make listening cd's so complex?? that's what i like about alpines, an plus that...i like most the 79xx line, without internal amps... pioneer headunits satisfy your needs, and generate a ton new ones... (buying an Ipod, cell phone W/btooth, amplifiers the same line as the HU, etc etc etc) plus...if it's full of that sort of things, it must generate a lot of noise... can you compare between a 9855 and a p880prs in quality?(just popping in a CD and listening...ALL flat...)the pioneer is full of eq's because the starting signal's quality is not completely good so they try to enhance it with tons of different things

If I was ever going to replace my 8053, it would be for a 7939, 7949, 7969. No frills, copper chassis, ai-net, and toslink out = good.

New Post 04-22-2006 12:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pksimon28 Click here to Send pksimon28 a Private Message Find more posts by pksimon28 Add pksimon28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-21-2006 by hammerhead
The PRS-880 HU is very easy to use. It has very good functionality Listening to CD's are extremely easy. You wont find a higher Quality HU IMO. Alpine and Eclipse and nice HU but I think The new premiers are much better in performace.

Why does everyone seem to think that these new premier decks are so much superior to Eclipse decks. In my mind Eclipse has a more flexible eq, better preouts, and a better x-over.

New Post 04-22-2006 12:06 AM
hammerhead

RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-22-2006 by pksimon28
Why does everyone seem to think that these new premier decks are so much superior to Eclipse decks. In my mind Eclipse has a more flexible eq, better preouts, and a better x-over.

The New Premiers have independent left and right EQ with time Alignment. 3 5 volt preouts that's pretty good in my book. I don't think the Eclipse can do better. This is all just my opinion. I have the PRS-880 I'm very familiar with what it can do

New Post 04-22-2006 12:15 AM
pksimon28

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-22-2006 by hammerhead
The New Premiers have independent left and right EQ with time Alignment. 3 5 volt preouts that's pretty good in my book. I don't think the Eclipse can do better. This is all just my opinion. I have the PRS-880 I'm very familiar with what it can do

I'll take a 10 band parametric eq (11 band on the CD7000), with 5 Q settings and tons of center frequencies, over a 16 band graphic eq any day. 16 band graphic just does not have the same flexibility.

As far as pre-outs, my CD8053 does not clip, regardless of volume setting, and puts out around 8.5 volts. I know that at least in my experience with premier HUs, they clip prior to full volume and do not put out rated voltage.

New Post 04-22-2006 12:24 AM
hammerhead

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-22-2006 by pksimon28
I'll take a 10 band parametric eq (11 band on the CD7000), with 5 Q settings and tons of center frequencies, over a 16 band graphic eq any day. 16 band graphic just does not have the same flexibility.

As far as pre-outs, my CD8053 does not clip, regardless of volume setting, and puts out around 8.5 volts. I know that at least in my experience with premier HUs, they clip prior to full volume and do not put out rated voltage.

Why would you want to turn the Volume up all the way whats the point. The 880 has not clipped at any volume that I use and I don't turn it up all the way so maybe it would if I did lol. The EQ is for the left and right they are independent of each other. That's pretty good flexibility. Like I said Eclipse has good units but I prefer The new Premier HU that's why I bought one.

New Post 04-22-2006 12:39 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting