Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Audiobahn 12"s (What Best Box?)
Go Back Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
4TheLoveOfSubs

Audiobahn 12"s (What Best Box?)

Audiobahn A1500HCX (Alrady own) 2000rms 1ohm Audiobahn AW1206T 12" (planning to get 2) 1000rms each What you guys think? Just for now i have 2 Infinity Perfects 12"dvs in box size like 25 wide 14 High 25 Depth (sealed) They Pund very hard.... (can hear from 2-3 Blocks) For some reason im stupid aS$ want this nice looking subs.. lol Would my box be ok for this audiobahn subs? It or get bigger box??

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 09-26-2003 02:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 4TheLoveOfSubs Click here to Send 4TheLoveOfSubs a Private Message Find more posts by 4TheLoveOfSubs Add 4TheLoveOfSubs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astropop

Thats a nice looking sub. Your box with the nubers you gave me has an outside volume of 5.06 cubic feet. So after subs and MDF subtractions about 2 cf per sub. Heres the recommended box volumes. For that sub. ---sealed box volume: 0.5 to 1.25 cubic feet ---ported box volume: 1.3 to 3.2 cubic feet So you can use your box as is, but if you port it correctly you can gain alot of volume, and I bet thats what you want?

New Post 09-26-2003 05:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Astropop Click here to Send Astropop a Private Message Find more posts by Astropop Add Astropop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
splfreak

Go with 2.5cuft with two 4"by7.25" round ports

or you can go with 1.5cuft with one 3"by6.75" round port and for the most bass go with 3.5cuft with two 4"by 12" round Ports. good luck hope that helps and break those subs in for about 6hours with about 20hz sine wave

New Post 09-26-2003 12:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for splfreak Click here to Send splfreak a Private Message Find more posts by splfreak Add splfreak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4TheLoveOfSubs

Dont you guys think Sealed Box would be best?

New Post 09-27-2003 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 4TheLoveOfSubs Click here to Send 4TheLoveOfSubs a Private Message Find more posts by 4TheLoveOfSubs Add 4TheLoveOfSubs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astropop

Yes, the sealed box would "sound" the best. In your enclosure.

New Post 09-27-2003 02:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Astropop Click here to Send Astropop a Private Message Find more posts by Astropop Add Astropop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EF_MAX

Which box is best is down to the music you like, the amps you have, the car you drive and the type of bass you prefer. No such thing as a best box as each person hears things differently but if you get a proper box designed for your speaker with the above taken into consideration, then you could well end up with a serious bit of kit. Do not play the sealed box is better than a ported box game because a speaker in a well designed ported box will nearly always leave a sealed box behind, and that is on both SPL and SQ. I have had this discussion with others before and when given the opportunity to listen to the box in my current car people have to eat their words and bow down to the superioity of well designed ported box. Of course the above statement is arrogant but as a bass box designer I am in the front line to prove any points that I make and this one point is an easy one to prove. A badly designed ported box will not stand a chance against a badly design sealed box.

New Post 10-16-2003 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EF_MAX Click here to Send EF_MAX a Private Message Find more posts by EF_MAX Add EF_MAX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astropop

EF_max thanks for the box you built me, after I reglued the 1/2" mdf it's held up nicely.

New Post 10-16-2003 12:39 PM
EF_MAX

QUOTE - Thats pretty good advice, but its wrong. If you would read the whole thread, and run the numbers for the box he already has and the the subs he wants to use, you would have found the the box is too small for a ported design. Next time read the thread instead of "ass"uming a general answer to be right.Arrogance not allways follows intellegince. –END QUOTE--- No to sure which bit you feel is wrong, and if it is wrong why you do not educate me by showing me where it is wrong. Anyway I did run the numbers as I did read the post and yours and your numbers--- I never listen to recommend box sizes as 95% of the time they are basic numbers for basic situations and do not take into account the individuals need, maybe this is why you feel the box is too small for a ported design,, if that be the case then I am affraid to say that I disagree and that box size is more than enough for a decent ported box, Do note that I am not using the predicted or optimise plots from the computer generated suggestions but using my experience of being a box designer who makes his living from designing boxes--- You have your opinion and I have mine, but when I ran those figure using his current box sizes this is what I believe--- 2x Infinity’s [assuming 12.1dvc] in a ported box with an Fb = 40.82 Hz and an F3 = 33.96 Hz arrived from 2x 4” by 4” ports, then this box would offer some good SQ bass which was controlled, reasonable flat, extremely smooth and still hit some good SPL--- 2x Audiobahn AW1206T 12 in the same size box using the same port tuning offer slightly less bass extension, slightly less SPL but better power handling and the SQ would not be as good as the Infinity’s--- Compared to a sealed box of the same size then they could be as much as 8dB difference from that of a ported box--- Depending on taste in music the SQ difference between the two might be just enough to sway you toward the ported box, especially if big bass was the equation that was being chased with a retention in the SQ department--- I didn’t have the T/S of the 15 to hand so I was unable to try that out--- Based on what I have now said and because I am always willing to learn from others, maybe you could help me, by explaining which part of my conversation is incorrect as I hate giving people bad or incorrect information---

New Post 10-17-2003 12:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for EF_MAX Click here to Send EF_MAX a Private Message Find more posts by EF_MAX Add EF_MAX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astropop

You can start by learning from yourself, you state---" I never listen to recommend box sizes as 95% of the time they are basic numbers for basic situations and do not take into account the individuals need, maybe this is why you feel the box is too small for a ported design"--- I mean come on, you don't use these programs to design enclosures? I guess you write your own computer programs or your some kind of Guru who has found that physics and mathmatical formula's don't apply to your god given talent at speaker enclosure design. I can't argue with that, but I can tell you if your on here asking a question on what to do with no clue about design or where to start at all, your not going to build 10 boxes to get it right. This person is looking for the most failsafe and easy way to use what he has and get good sound from it. I would save the bickering for an apropriate thread, you yoursef admit an imperfect sealed box will beat an imperfect ported box and you admit you don't use any kind of program, I'm not so lucky, I have just never been able to look a speaker and build a box for it without knowing at least 3 small theil parameters.

New Post 10-17-2003 01:13 AM
EF_MAX

• Are we getting our wires crossed some where • I never listen to the manufacturers because they only supply an approximate answer to a very wide subject matter. • I have already proved to the general public that I design boxes better than most manufacturers,, it is what has kept my business in business for the last 8-9 years and this has been demonstrated publicly on many occasions in the UK, but then I have the luxury of having more personal and individual information than them • EMINENCE [UK div] loudspeaker who make, they claim, about 92% of the world speakers used me for several years as their technical spokesperson on box designs, and for good reasons • Both JL and Genesis have been happy to use my expertise as well,, so no I am not bickering or looking to score points, just explain myself—If someone asks “a what box question” then they are hoping to get some diverse answers in order to help themselves make better choice • I have also NEVER said I don’t use a program for my designs, I have a copy of LEAP, TERM PRO and BB6 at my disposal, all perform well and I use each for slightly different reasons • What I said was I don’t use the programs computerized or optimize findings as these are never correct for an in-car situation. • What I do use is experience of designing almost 2000 different designs for customers in which I have had only 2 who were unhappy with my first designs and these were sorted as soon as I had all of the correct information which allowed me to amend their stuff • You may care to look at this link and thus get a better understanding from where I am at- • http://www.x-bb.org/~efmax/boxdesign_explained.htm • I openly welcome all forms of education but so far you have not justified any of your comments to me so therefore I shall just ignore them. • I hope at the end of the day that the topic starter is able to see what is possible with what they have or are thinking of getting, in this respect my post/s address these issues and offer some constructive points of possibilities. • I make no assumptions about the posters ability to make boxes or that they want the easy way out,, they asked a question,, they might well know the answer and just want to hear someone back them up,, but those who advocate the sealed route all of the time as a first time option often do so because they have been encouraged to follow no other route and believe that a ported box is doom to fail unless your are very lucky. • I offered a port size and dimensions and mention what this would offer, therefore I fail to see how this is less failsafe when that information is coming from someone who claims to know what they are talking about.

New Post 10-17-2003 03:37 AM
Astropop

Yea, I agree whole heartedly.

New Post 10-17-2003 12:20 PM
corradokid

Astropop, are you going to back up your statment about sealed being the best? All you have done is argued with efmax. Do you think that if you carry on argueing people wont notice That you are not necessarily right? Why dont you do yourself a favour and follow his link and educate yourself? Also, "As a direct quote "I do not take into account the individuals need". What is this about? This is not what his post says at all. If it was a spelling mistake you must have known what the guy ment? Are people not allowed to make mistakes? You seem to be making them. If you have no real advice, stop being arrogant and just give up. You may not be right, But you obviously dont see that. 4theloveofsubs, if you are still having problems drop efmax a line his level of knowledge is so great on this subject he has probably forgotten more than most people Know!

New Post 10-18-2003 01:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for corradokid Click here to Send corradokid a Private Message Find more posts by corradokid Add corradokid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Astropop

Ok, I'll back it up for you, but quickly though I'm in a hurry. The box he has has about 2 cf per sub, the recommended enclosure designs are------sealed box volume: 0.5 to 1.25 cubic feet ---------ported box volume: 1.3 to 3.2 cubic feet. After subtracting basket volume and port volume you are below recommended ported box size. I tend to believe a manufacturer knows about the product they sell. Maybe you two can get a job working for audiobahn since your experts in there products. Now since I allowed you to waste my time corrainoid please tell me why you would use a ported design. Try to spell a little better than your last post, thanks.

New Post 10-18-2003 02:32 PM
Lardy

Ok, Ported boxes are more efficient for starters. You will get more output from a ported box using the same kit as opposed to using a sealed box. (this is in theory, as certain finish individuals have broken the mold with reguards to spl). Ported boxes can be tuned to a specific frequency. If you have the time and equiptment, you can tune the box to exactly what you want, be it just shy of the resonant frequency of the car for maximum SPL, or tuned low for that feel good factor. EF Max has been doing this a long time, and he is widely considered the daddy of designers. When you get a box designed by him, he takes into account everything possible, from the music you listen to, to the car its in, to the amp powering it, to the type of sound you would like. Wherever you got the idea that he doesn't take into account the customers needs/wants, i don't know, but suffice to say, you are gravely mistaken. Ok, When manufacturers give a box volume for their subs, it is for the mass public. This is for the general user, aiming to get a fair response from their sub. We all know that manufacturers have to aim at the mass marjet, even if its not the 'best' for their product, as it may require very particular skill to achieve that goal. I used to be very firmly in the sealed camp, but until you have a good listen to a variety of subs in ported boxes, don't be too quick to judge.

New Post 10-18-2003 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Lardy Click here to Send Lardy a Private Message Find more posts by Lardy Add Lardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corradokid

Ok mate, as a start next time you moan at someone for spelling dont be to hasty and check your own hey? Im not going to bother arguing with you, at the end of the day the only person you are fooling is yourself. If your not willing to learn how can you improve? If you happy with your mediocre "normal run of the mill" box then thats down to you. Have fun mate.

New Post 10-19-2003 07:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for corradokid Click here to Send corradokid a Private Message Find more posts by corradokid Add corradokid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting