Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Amp or Subs? - amp going into protect mode
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zoomyjs

Amp or Subs? - amp going into protect mode

I have the Kenwood 9152D - 900RMS @ 2ohms. Today i bought 2 12" Kicker CVR's and have them wired in a parallel/series to 2ohms output to the amp. They are in a sealed box. Everything is fine until i turn up the amp just high enough where things start to vibrate nicely then :( the amp goes into protect mode for 5 seconds... then will work for 10 seconds then go back into protect mode... im running 4 guage wiring and the amp is grounded. the subs are rated 400RMS each and i can do 900RMS. so it seems perfect doesnt it? any ideas as to why the stupid amp keeps going into protect mode when i turn the bass up and what can i do to correct it. thanks. *note* i had to cut the grounding wire to the amp a little. its probably running about 3/4 of the actual wire because the clip came off and i had to cut some of the actual wire to get it back in the clip, if that makes a difference.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 06-07-2006 04:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zoomyjs Click here to Send zoomyjs a Private Message Find more posts by zoomyjs Add zoomyjs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoomyjs

Bump - no one knows or has any ideas?

New Post 06-07-2006 03:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zoomyjs Click here to Send zoomyjs a Private Message Find more posts by zoomyjs Add zoomyjs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John66

RE: Amp or Subs? - amp going into protect mode

quote:
Originally posted on 06-07-2006 by zoomyjs
I have the Kenwood 9152D - 900RMS @ 2ohms. Today i bought 2 12" Kicker CVR's and have them wired in a parallel/series to 2ohms output to the amp. They are in a sealed box. Everything is fine until i turn up the amp just high enough where things start to vibrate nicely then :( the amp goes into protect mode for 5 seconds... then will work for 10 seconds then go back into protect mode... im running 4 guage wiring and the amp is grounded. the subs are rated 400RMS each and i can do 900RMS. so it seems perfect doesnt it? any ideas as to why the stupid amp keeps going into protect mode when i turn the bass up and what can i do to correct it. thanks. *note* i had to cut the grounding wire to the amp a little. its probably running about 3/4 of the actual wire because the clip came off and i had to cut some of the actual wire to get it back in the clip, if that makes a difference.

Well double check your sub wiring in the box its possiable one wire could have popped out. Second how high is you gain set it maybe alittle high. And third this seems to be prevelent in kenwood amps. They like to over heat in 2 ohm mode sometimes.

New Post 06-07-2006 03:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for John66 Click here to Send John66 a Private Message Find more posts by John66 Add John66 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoomyjs

Yes the amp does get hot. i know for sure all the wires are perfect inside the box however... one of the subs(both are brand new) would make a sound when i pushed down on it, like it was hitting the voice coil. the other one didnt... so could it be that that sub is defective and that is what is causing the problem?

New Post 06-07-2006 04:12 PM
John66

RE:

quote:
Yes the amp does get hot. i know for sure all the wires are perfect inside the box however... one of the subs(both are brand new) would make a sound when i pushed down on it, like it was hitting the voice coil. the other one didnt... so could it be that that sub is defective and that is what is causing the problem?

What type of sound And does it sound different than the other sub when they are playing? Also are you sure they are the exact same model # so both the speaker are the same voice coil ohm.

New Post 06-07-2006 05:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for John66 Click here to Send John66 a Private Message Find more posts by John66 Add John66 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoomyjs

Yeah there both the same sub im pretty sure. i will verify for certain tonight. But yeah i think im going to have to take the one i think could be bad out and exchange it. also.. i have a Cobalt SS so could it possibly be the alternator not giving the amp enough power, because whenever i do crank it my lights dim and the amp gets very hot. lastly, im pretty dam sure i wired them correctly in parallel/series but i saw someone else who said for two 2OHM DVC subs to get 2ohms i wire positive from box to 1 positive on both subs, then same thing for negative. but then i saw he said to wire negative from sub 1 to positive of sub 2 and negative of sub 2 to positive of sub 1?? i currently just have the parallel thing then 1 sub positive to negative and sub 2 positive to negative. would it matter if i put positive of sub#1 to negative of sub#2 and vice versa.

New Post 06-07-2006 09:15 PM
John66

heres the proper way to wire two 2 ohm dvc subs: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC2x2

New Post 06-07-2006 09:19 PM
zoomyjs

Yeah thats the way i currently have them wired. with a 900RMS amp do you think a cap will do the trick?

New Post 06-07-2006 10:38 PM
John66

RE:

quote:
Yeah thats the way i currently have them wired. with a 900RMS amp do you think a cap will do the trick?

Nope!!! is the amp well ventlated?

New Post 06-07-2006 11:06 PM
zoomyjs

no its attatched to the back of the seat in the trunk. just looking thru the users manual it says it goes into protect mode when the amp gets too hot. so anyways.. thats my problem. at least i found out why its doing it. now.. how do i correct that. do i need to run a fan into my trunk onto the amp? lol is there anyway to get the amp to run cooler or keep it cooled somehow while trying to run it at full potential.

New Post 06-08-2006 12:40 AM
John66

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-08-2006 by zoomyjs
no its attatched to the back of the seat in the trunk. just looking thru the users manual it says it goes into protect mode when the amp gets too hot. so anyways.. thats my problem. at least i found out why its doing it. now.. how do i correct that. do i need to run a fan into my trunk onto the amp? lol is there anyway to get the amp to run cooler or keep it cooled somehow while trying to run it at full potential.

Well you need to get air circulating around the amp so get yourself a small fan to blow on the amp or mount it out in the open...

New Post 06-08-2006 01:05 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting