Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Other Mobile Electronics > Current Alarm Consumer Reviews?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MichaelM

Current Alarm Consumer Reviews?

I'm looking to buy a car alarm for my Grand Cherokee after I had my factory stereo ripped out. Most of the reviews I'm finding via Google are outdated or not very comprehensive. Does anyone know where I might find some solid, comprehensive reviews? Regarding the stereo, I live in La Paz, Bolivia: they got in by releasing the hood with the cable they grabbed through the grill and cut the battery cable to disable my factory alarm. They then busted out the small window panel on the rear passenger door. (And left some blood along the way...) They skipped my Jeep's computer in the theft, thankfully, an item which is very popular here. There are several well-known places where I might be able to buy it back. The police here are aware of these places, but just look the other way. I replaced the window already for a mere $25, including installation, with factory glass. The window they broke had been broken before and replaced (by the previous owner) with cheap glass, which explains why they got cut. I have a shop here which is going to add some protection to my computer and air flow controller, as well as for the hood mechanism. Anyway, I'm out looking for the stereo starting today... hope to get it back for around $50. If not, I'll pick one up on ebay.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 06-20-2006 07:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelM Click here to Send MichaelM a Private Message Find more posts by MichaelM Add MichaelM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFVega

For good reviews and excellent Tech knowledge, I highly recommend checking out the car security forum @ www.the12volt.com

As far as strengthing your weak points on how they gained entry and compromised the alarm, I recommend a hood lock and a back up battery for the alarm.

The hood lock can be found usually on Ebay and a good small back up battery is the 520T from DEI (makers of Viper). You can find them @ www.directed.com

A back up siren is good also inside.

New Post 06-21-2006 04:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RFVega Click here to Send RFVega a Private Message Find more posts by RFVega Add RFVega to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelM

Thank you for the tips and the website reference. I think I'm going to move forward with a Viper 791XV system, as the Clifford AvantGuard 5.5 product won't be available until August. (According to DEI's customer service, the current Clifford G5 will not be upgradeable.) I'll add a glass breakage sensor, but probably won't use the remote start functionality. I've had some physical modifications done already, including running the hood release cable through steel conduit and welding the computer's fasteners in the engine compartment. Because of the city's relative isolation, car theft is not a big problem here -- it's the parts they're after.

New Post 06-22-2006 09:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelM Click here to Send MichaelM a Private Message Find more posts by MichaelM Add MichaelM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RFVega

Very Good choice with the DEI Viper 791XV. I have heard great reports about that alarm on many well known audio sites.

You will not go wrong with DEI alarms!

New Post 06-23-2006 01:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RFVega Click here to Send RFVega a Private Message Find more posts by RFVega Add RFVega to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting