Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > at wattage should i get a cap
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sometimesudie

at wattage should i get a cap

my freind drives an 06 civic sedan and is getting 1 p3 maybe and a 500 watt amp..someone told him he needs a cap... i always thought you needed one at like 800 watts and up...i also heard you dont need one unless you had 1000 watts hooked up...does anyone know for sure?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-09-2006 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sometimesudie Click here to Send sometimesudie a Private Message Find more posts by sometimesudie Add sometimesudie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chiefaudiophile

Well first I would suggest a Type R over the cRockford any day. To answer your question you always need some capacitance. The thing that most people don't take into consideration is the capacitance built into the amp. all amps have internal caps of varying sizes although it's never enough. I want a cap in parallel with any amp I care about.

New Post 07-10-2006 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chiefaudiophile Click here to Send chiefaudiophile a Private Message Find more posts by chiefaudiophile Add chiefaudiophile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaderboxlipp

caps are a waste of time, they do virtually nothing. it's like adding a 9 volt battery to your car.

first thing to do i THE BIG THREE. then getting a better alt and battery.

New Post 07-10-2006 06:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chaderboxlipp Click here to Send chaderboxlipp a Private Message Find more posts by chaderboxlipp Add chaderboxlipp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaderboxlipp

if you want a BIG battery made for systems be ready to drop some cash. heres some great batteries. www.KinetikAudio.com

the big three are here. http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801

New Post 07-10-2006 06:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chaderboxlipp Click here to Send chaderboxlipp a Private Message Find more posts by chaderboxlipp Add chaderboxlipp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrr323

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-10-2006 by chaderboxlipp
caps are a waste of time, they do virtually nothing. it's like adding a 9 volt battery to your car.

first thing to do i THE BIG THREE. then getting a better alt and battery.

yeah i agree there supose to be for just a quick burst when your amp need more power but i think thats just pure advertisement to sell them.

New Post 07-11-2006 01:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrr323 Click here to Send jrr323 a Private Message Find more posts by jrr323 Add jrr323 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

RE: at wattage should i get a cap

quote:
Originally posted on 07-09-2006 by sometimesudie
my freind drives an 06 civic sedan and is getting 1 p3 maybe and a 500 watt amp..someone told him he needs a cap... i always thought you needed one at like 800 watts and up...i also heard you dont need one unless you had 1000 watts hooked up...does anyone know for sure?

There is never a NEED for a cap. Their biggest contribution to a system is eye candy for those that like bright colored cylindrical looking things.

Their electrical benefit is debatable at best, and some of the bad designs are purely parasitic.

New Post 07-11-2006 09:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaderboxlipp

for all those in wonder over caps. my system about 3 months ago started turning the subs off and the highs distorted. so i got out my volt meter and checked some stuff out. 12.7 at the battery with the car off, and 7 volts at the cap. i was only using the cap as a tie in point. but all i had to do was take it out. now all is good.

New Post 07-11-2006 09:54 AM
ampmodder

just a thought

I work on amps and what I see is what was mentioned before about the caps internal to the amp and never being enough. BOOYAH is all I have to say about that. Those caps are the real key and can be updated with more modern caps provided a person get the right ones. A good place to start is the KZE line by UCC out of Digikey. A spec one might look at is the ripple current rating at 100khz as this cap is part of a chopper circuit in the power supply. The higher the current rating and lower the ESR, the better. Just my opinion though, not looking for any fights...:) And by the way, the input inductor forms a lowpass filter with this cap with the cutoff freq just being in the low if not fractional hz.

New Post 08-04-2006 10:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ampmodder Click here to Send ampmodder a Private Message Find more posts by ampmodder Add ampmodder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
teamlosi

Its your choice on adding a cap. Who cares really, i got one off of ebay for 40 bucks. Get a digital one, i find it nice when i know the voltage that my amp is getting when my car is on and off.

New Post 08-04-2006 12:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for teamlosi Click here to Send teamlosi a Private Message Find more posts by teamlosi Add teamlosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-04-2006 by teamlosi
Its your choice on adding a cap. Who cares really, i got one off of ebay for 40 bucks. Get a digital one, i find it nice when i know the voltage that my amp is getting when my car is on and off.

I heard you should add up fuses from amp and if that is higher than the battery volt then you need one. Is this true.......?

New Post 08-07-2006 09:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TXhustla Click here to Send TXhustla a Private Message Find more posts by TXhustla Add TXhustla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-07-2006 by TXhustla
I heard you should add up fuses from amp and if that is higher than the battery volt then you need one. Is this true.......?

[no]

New Post 08-07-2006 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BumpinAt162dbs

If you are only running 500 watts a power cap might help. I admit that they are a little corny but for so cheap and a volt meter, why not. You can get a 2 farad digital cap on ebay for $50.00 and will help with dimming lights on such a small system, plus give your amp a little pep at the time the bass hits. I agree with upgrading the alternator, battery and cables but for a 500 watt system, a cap just might help you. I put a 3 farad cap in my friends car and he was pushing 800 rms to 2 audiobahn 12's and was having some light dimming problems and his system was dropping down to 10 volts when the bass hit. Before I could say anything about upgrading the battery he came over with a new cap so we threw it in. I must say, it did help with the dimming lights and raised his voltage drop from 10 volts to 13.5 volts when the bass hit, system was noticably louder also and the highs didnt distort when the bass hit. His audiobahn amp had a volt meter on it so I could see what the amps voltage input was before and after the cap was installed. Cant really deny that evidence. To answer your question, the rule on power caps is 1 farad for every 500 watts rms. If you want to purchase one.

New Post 08-11-2006 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BumpinAt162dbs Click here to Send BumpinAt162dbs a Private Message Find more posts by BumpinAt162dbs Add BumpinAt162dbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaderboxlipp

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-11-2006 by BumpinAt162dbs
If you are only running 500 watts a power cap might help. I admit that they are a little corny but for so cheap and a volt meter, why not. You can get a 2 farad digital cap on ebay for $50.00 and will help with dimming lights on such a small system, plus give your amp a little pep at the time the bass hits. I agree with upgrading the alternator, battery and cables but for a 500 watt system, a cap just might help you. I put a 3 farad cap in my friends car and he was pushing 800 rms to 2 audiobahn 12's and was having some light dimming problems and his system was dropping down to 10 volts when the bass hit. Before I could say anything about upgrading the battery he came over with a new cap so we threw it in. I must say, it did help with the dimming lights and raised his voltage drop from 10 volts to 13.5 volts when the bass hit, system was noticably louder also and the highs didnt distort when the bass hit. His audiobahn amp had a volt meter on it so I could see what the amps voltage input was before and after the cap was installed. Cant really deny that evidence. To answer your question, the rule on power caps is 1 farad for every 500 watts rms. If you want to purchase one.

i'll believe the highs didnt distort as much, as for the dimming and louder, i think you expected it and therefore saw it. my system was WAY louder after taking the cap out, i now understand more about caps and know they are a waste. buy a better battery and alt, and do THE BIG 3.

New Post 08-11-2006 09:23 AM
ampmodder

it seems this topic gets beat to death, but not really cause there is a lot going on. I'm thinking that a good place for caps are the ones inside the power amp after the input inductor and hardly ever see this addressed, and it IS part of the circuit no matter how much no one wants to open up the amp and go in. The 1-2 farad caps everyone talks about on here are pieces of crap, and that's out of character for me to say something like that never having had any direct experience with them. BUT, I do know caps and I know that that value cannot be made for only $50 and be of the utmost quality. Sorry, but that's reality, no matter how much snake oil companies try spoon feeding you. They would have to probably have some of the most horrible specs imagineable and would be more of a detriment to a system being as lossy as they are,..sort of like sticking a resistor in your power path believe it or not. If you do want a real 1 farad cap, try getting a quote from a real manufacturer like Cornell Dubilier or UCC and see what I mean, you'll get your socks knocked off. ---- And if by some chance they are the ones making them and I don't know about it,..then I take back all I said and I'll look like an idiot.........lol! -- Just honest input though and trying to lend a new view,...not trying to step on any toes or be a joy killer. If one needs to go with caps perhaps a cluster of smaller, very high quality switching caps might yield some + results. After all, those are the ones that need to be in the amp on the other side of that input inductor.

New Post 08-11-2006 10:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ampmodder Click here to Send ampmodder a Private Message Find more posts by ampmodder Add ampmodder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-07-2006 by N2Audio
[no]

So what determines if a cap is needed? If lights dim what does that mean?

New Post 08-11-2006 12:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TXhustla Click here to Send TXhustla a Private Message Find more posts by TXhustla Add TXhustla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting