Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Video & Multimedia > Adding USB to Alpine decks
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
infinity999

Adding USB to Alpine decks

I see this device that Alpine makes to add a USB port to your compatible Alpine deck.. My question is they say that you can play .mp3's off a thumb drive.. What's to stop someone from hooking up a portable USB hard drive? That would be sweet since you can get 100 GB usb HD for 120.00. Beats spending 400.00 for an ipod.. Which to me is a HD with a headphone jack.. Has anyone tried this at all? The adapter is 150.00...but still cheaper than the Ipod...and larger..

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-26-2006 07:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for infinity999 Click here to Send infinity999 a Private Message Find more posts by infinity999 Add infinity999 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IPwnJoo

RE: Adding USB to Alpine decks

quote:
Originally posted on 08-26-2006 by infinity999
I see this device that Alpine makes to add a USB port to your compatible Alpine deck.. My question is they say that you can play .mp3's off a thumb drive.. What's to stop someone from hooking up a portable USB hard drive? That would be sweet since you can get 100 GB usb HD for 120.00. Beats spending 400.00 for an ipod.. Which to me is a HD with a headphone jack.. Has anyone tried this at all? The adapter is 150.00...but still cheaper than the Ipod...and larger..

The only drawback I could think of is the extra current that the 120 gb hd would need. I would think the flashdrive would use a fraction of what the HD would, and that may not be factored into internal or vehicle fusing. Also, I wonder if it would be the same software to read the flashdrive and HD. I'm not prolific with either, but figured I would give it a shot in the dark though.

New Post 08-27-2006 10:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for IPwnJoo Click here to Send IPwnJoo a Private Message Find more posts by IPwnJoo Add IPwnJoo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
infinity999

RE: RE: Adding USB to Alpine decks

quote:
Originally posted on 08-27-2006 by IPwnJoo
The only drawback I could think of is the extra current that the 120 gb hd would need. I would think the flashdrive would use a fraction of what the HD would, and that may not be factored into internal or vehicle fusing. Also, I wonder if it would be the same software to read the flashdrive and HD. I'm not prolific with either, but figured I would give it a shot in the dark though.

Well I would think reading a usb hard drive would be the same as reading a thumb drive. The interface is the same, just the physical characteristics are different. As for the power, it might be better to get an external hard drive that requires additional power so that it is not having to rely on power from the Alpine usb port. You wouldn't need a very powerful AC/DC converter to run a hard drive :-). Be nice if someone has experimented with this..

New Post 08-28-2006 01:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for infinity999 Click here to Send infinity999 a Private Message Find more posts by infinity999 Add infinity999 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IPwnJoo

RE: RE: RE: Adding USB to Alpine decks

quote:
Originally posted on 08-28-2006 by infinity999
Well I would think reading a usb hard drive would be the same as reading a thumb drive. The interface is the same, just the physical characteristics are different. As for the power, it might be better to get an external hard drive that requires additional power so that it is not having to rely on power from the Alpine usb port. You wouldn't need a very powerful AC/DC converter to run a hard drive :-). Be nice if someone has experimented with this..

I could be a sweet setup if it works out. I say you give a shot and report back!

New Post 08-28-2006 10:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for IPwnJoo Click here to Send IPwnJoo a Private Message Find more posts by IPwnJoo Add IPwnJoo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stevezasycho

I agree, it is definately worth a shot! One downside I see is going to be overall retrieval time from the time you hit a key on the deck, send the command through the circuitry, to the cable, to the drive, then the drive reacts.. THe drive reaction I see could be a bottleneck.. Nothing is faster than Flash.. But if you do go this route, I say get the fastest HDD you can.. Hell, go get a drive case kit for a standard 3.5" desktop HDD, and buy the biggest Rapter drive you can.. That will make it go a little quicker..But this definately looks sweet.. One thing I always wondered was if I could hook a USB hub to the port, and run an array of flash drives.. (PNY now has 4GB thumb drives for example.. the hubs I always seem to buy have 4 or 7 ports.. Thats 16GB or 42GB of space respectively..) Let us know how it goes!

New Post 08-29-2006 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stevezasycho Click here to Send Stevezasycho a Private Message Find more posts by Stevezasycho Add Stevezasycho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
infinity999

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-29-2006 by Stevezasycho
I agree, it is definately worth a shot! One downside I see is going to be overall retrieval time from the time you hit a key on the deck, send the command through the circuitry, to the cable, to the drive, then the drive reacts.. THe drive reaction I see could be a bottleneck.. Nothing is faster than Flash.. But if you do go this route, I say get the fastest HDD you can.. Hell, go get a drive case kit for a standard 3.5" desktop HDD, and buy the biggest Rapter drive you can.. That will make it go a little quicker..But this definately looks sweet.. One thing I always wondered was if I could hook a USB hub to the port, and run an array of flash drives.. (PNY now has 4GB thumb drives for example.. the hubs I always seem to buy have 4 or 7 ports.. Thats 16GB or 42GB of space respectively..) Let us know how it goes!

I would think the seek time on a 5400 RPM drive would be enough.. The 10k raptor I believe would be overkill. Seek time on a 5400 is still relatively quick and it doesn't have to push much data. Isn't the Ipod just a slow hard drive with a headphone jack? What a waste.. Ipod's are for people who think Apple invented the .mp3. As far as the circuity, I am sure it is USB 2.0 so it should be as fast as the Ipod would be....

New Post 08-29-2006 12:52 AM
Stevezasycho

It wasnt so much the speed of the drive itself if compared to a real world situation.. I am trying to factor in all the variables such as the speed at which the deck can handle the info.. It may take whatever your seek time on that 5400 RPM is and increase it by half or more.. THis is just speculation and I have only experienced these USB hubs of the crappy decks at work with little flash drives.. And as far the iPod goes, I agree 100% what you said.. I however own one.. I do not think Apple invented the MP3.. I KNOW they didn't.. They didn't even start the DAP revolution! Compaq OFFICIALLY started it, the Diamond followed suit with that very first Rio.. When I bought my iPod, I wasn't really looking to Apple or any specific brand.. I went to work, and talked to one of the MP3 player guys.. I looked at wha tthye had, and the iPod's capacity was exactly what I wanted.. I was trying to get rid of the 9 or 10 CD binders I carried in mycar alone.. I wouldn't have bought it new, but in 2004, I got my gen 3 iPod for 130 tax, case, and service plan included.. I love the portability, but my point is, if it were an iRiver, or a Zen, it would be just the same.. I can listen to my music at any time I want, in any place I want.. Unfortunately, my Western Digital 160GB doesnt have that headphone jack I need :lol:

New Post 08-29-2006 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Stevezasycho Click here to Send Stevezasycho a Private Message Find more posts by Stevezasycho Add Stevezasycho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
infinity999

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-29-2006 by Stevezasycho
It wasnt so much the speed of the drive itself if compared to a real world situation.. I am trying to factor in all the variables such as the speed at which the deck can handle the info.. It may take whatever your seek time on that 5400 RPM is and increase it by half or more.. THis is just speculation and I have only experienced these USB hubs of the crappy decks at work with little flash drives.. And as far the iPod goes, I agree 100% what you said.. I however own one.. I do not think Apple invented the MP3.. I KNOW they didn't.. They didn't even start the DAP revolution! Compaq OFFICIALLY started it, the Diamond followed suit with that very first Rio.. When I bought my iPod, I wasn't really looking to Apple or any specific brand.. I went to work, and talked to one of the MP3 player guys.. I looked at wha tthye had, and the iPod's capacity was exactly what I wanted.. I was trying to get rid of the 9 or 10 CD binders I carried in mycar alone.. I wouldn't have bought it new, but in 2004, I got my gen 3 iPod for 130 tax, case, and service plan included.. I love the portability, but my point is, if it were an iRiver, or a Zen, it would be just the same.. I can listen to my music at any time I want, in any place I want.. Unfortunately, my Western Digital 160GB doesnt have that headphone jack I need :lol:

I agree, the Ipod is a great product, they just want too much $ for it in my opinion. Not saying that everyone that owns one knows nothing about electronics, that was just a broad statement about the general public.... I will also agree that a lot rides on the speed of that port. If it is a good as the Ipod interface supposedly is, it will work great.

New Post 08-29-2006 01:07 AM
neosan

i've been thinkin about doin the same thing with an external hard drive since i found this great deal on an 8in touch screen with pc hookup. it just seemed a waste to try and fit an entire system when i could just get an external drive and put all the software on it. or did i just get ahead of myself and that's not possible

New Post 08-30-2006 12:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for neosan Click here to Send neosan a Private Message Find more posts by neosan Add neosan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
infinity999

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-30-2006 by PowerAcoustikman
Actually bro the Ipod uses a 7200RPM HD in the 5th gen. haha

Well my expert opinion is...for whatever its worth is that a 4200 hard drive could adequately serve up .mp3's. Since the Ipod is reading video I suppose the 7200 might come in handy.. For .mp3's that are not usually any bigger than 8MB I don't really see a need...

New Post 08-30-2006 11:39 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting