Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > CarStereo.com Lobby > computer people. or anyone with an idea. switching off computer
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yoda06

computer people. or anyone with an idea. switching off computer

My friend's computer randomly turns off while running, and takes an eternity to turn back on afterward. Nothing's overheating, and Windows is fine. I've narrowed it to a bad PSU, or a bad board. Because I disconnect the PSU connector to the Mobo, and plug it back in, it turns on. Which, shouldn't happen. All the front panel pins are hooked up correctly. Any ideas, thanks.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 09-16-2006 05:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

Shorts take awhile to take effect? I'm not doubting, just making sure. I tested voltages across the spectrum, all stay at rated or above. All, except the standby and switch wires. The PSU rates them at 5, and the board runs them, but I only measure 4. One night it stayed on all night. Then in the morning, just tuned off at some point. Then, it doesn't stay on for longer than 15.
And a little background. Up until recently, the computer worked fine. That's why I want to say it's a dying PSU, or a short on the board somewhere. If it's not a short elsewhere, it's a bad standby switch, either on the PSU or the board.

New Post 09-17-2006 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

Thanks for the idea though. I'm going to do it after I try my next idea. Going to let the PSU cool down, and measure the voltages when it turns on. Theoretically, it should be at 12,3,5 as soon as power is turned on, or at least not the hesitation I'm seeing now. I'm pissed I don't have any spare power supplies to test with. I have a spare board, memory, graphics card, hell, modem even.

New Post 09-17-2006 11:23 PM
Rudy

If you can't solve the problem by removing all non-essential parts, the only way left is to swap in some known good parts. Could be a failing power supply. Sometimes they get loaded with dust and the power supply itself can overheat. If it is actually failing, it may not be able to serve the load you are putting on it and the balance can get critical after it is on for awhile.

If Windows doesn't croak with a message it is almost certainly a low level hardware issue. Could be the MB, power supply, drives and sometimes faulty RAM - you may just need to reseat it.

Are there no sympoms other than shutting off?

New Post 09-18-2006 07:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rudy Click here to Send Rudy a Private Message Find more posts by Rudy Add Rudy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

Nope. Just hesitation when turning on. Sometimes it'll take holding the power button in for 30 seconds before it starts. When it does start, it'll turn on, then off, then on, off, then finally all the way on.

New Post 09-18-2006 07:50 AM
Rudy

Test the switch.

New Post 09-18-2006 08:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rudy Click here to Send Rudy a Private Message Find more posts by Rudy Add Rudy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

How do I test the switch? Just put the multimeter in series before and after the switch, when it should be on?

New Post 09-18-2006 04:06 PM
Rudy

I'd just short it for testing.

New Post 09-18-2006 04:17 PM
yoda06

Wire or something similar on the green wire and the ground? And, do you mean the case swithc, or the PSU 's switch?

New Post 09-18-2006 04:21 PM
defnyung

Don't waste your time testing and pulling out and switching. It's the PowerSupply without a doubt. I've built many computers in the past...and I've encountered this problem before. Go to newegg.com or geeks.com. They have plenty of power supplies. Good luck

New Post 09-18-2006 05:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for defnyung Click here to Send defnyung a Private Message Find more posts by defnyung Add defnyung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warpedhifi

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-18-2006 by defnyung
Don't waste your time testing and pulling out and switching. It's the PowerSupply without a doubt. I've built many computers in the past...and I've encountered this problem before. Go to newegg.com or geeks.com. They've got plenty of power supplies. Good luck

x2, I agree with defnyung, sounds like your PSU. I once built a computer that had an issue with it loosing its standby voltage. So it wouuld never turn on after 4 hours of being off. And everything on the computer was brand new. After a week of checking things, and a long talk with the mb maker, I tried swapping the psu and that took care of the problem.

So I would try that first and see if that takes care of the issue.

New Post 09-18-2006 05:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for warpedhifi Click here to Send warpedhifi a Private Message Find more posts by warpedhifi Add warpedhifi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rudy

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-18-2006 by yoda06
Wire or something similar on the green wire and the ground? And, do you mean the case swithc, or the PSU 's switch?

Definitely the case, but I don't think that will be the problem. I was trying to come up with the cheapest thing to test since you didn't seem to have an extra power supply.

Go to PC Power & Cooling's Web site they have instructions on jumpering a power supply without connecting it to the MB. Short the pins and add a load like a hard drive. See if it runs.

New Post 09-18-2006 06:10 PM
yoda06

Not the PSU. Not any IDE cables. Not the case switch. I am swapping ram out next. This is getting frustrating.

New Post 09-24-2006 11:55 PM
9oh7

ahh windwos based computers. lol. i havn't read this post in a while but did you scan for virus'? i like adaware SE personal as my favorate. there is also AVG anti virus. i have never been a fan of nortins anti virus just a personal deal. but yeah, just check everything and it will eventually tell you what it actually is.

New Post 09-25-2006 12:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 9oh7 Click here to Send 9oh7 a Private Message Find more posts by 9oh7 Add 9oh7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rudy

Had this computer been running properly before the problem started?

New Post 09-25-2006 06:45 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting