Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > CarStereo.com Lobby > Laptop choosing. Dell or HP.
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yoda06

Laptop choosing. Dell or HP.

My mom is offering to get me a laptop for school. I do Lots of powerpoint, essays, and movie editing, so having a standalone work computer would be nice. She isnt going to buy me an XPS, alienware, or something crazy. So, Im looking at Inspirion from Dell, and Pavillion from HP. I want at least a 15 inch monitor, 60 gig harddrive, gig of ram, and a mobile videocard. HP runs Nvidia and offers AMD. Dell is ATI and Intel. I dont claim brand loyalty. The cheapest processor I can run in the Dell is a 1.6 Duo, and a Sempron 3400 1.8 in the HP. I dont know a whole lot about either run of processors. So, IM asking around. And sorry if I look like an ass fr no apostrophes, but everytime I hit the key, it opens the Ctrl+F find window.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 10-19-2006 11:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SoundBeforeSight

I have an Inspiron and I love it. I never have had problems yet so I would rate it pretty high. If you plan on doing movie editing though, 60gigs may not be enough. You could just buy and external harddrive for pretty cheap though. You may want a desktop instead though; to buy a decent laptop it costs about the same as it is to buy a very high end desktop.

New Post 10-19-2006 12:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SoundBeforeSight Click here to Send SoundBeforeSight a Private Message Find more posts by SoundBeforeSight Add SoundBeforeSight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

Exact specs. Dell Intel Duo 1.66GHZ 2x1MB L2 cache. ATI 1300 Mobile, 128MB. Generic 1gig DDR2. Hp. AMD Sempron 3400 1.8 512K, generic ram. Nvidia 256MB 7200Go. I don't need massive performance. I just don't want to wait forever for movies to edit. And, for inbetween classes, run games on decent levels. >.>. The University of Akron lied...it's a very boring campus during the day. Oh well, it's on the same tier as OSU for engineering, and not that far behind Case.

New Post 10-19-2006 12:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OnYrMrk

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 10-19-2006 by yoda06
Exact specs. Dell Intel Duo 1.66GHZ 2x1MB L2 cache. ATI 1300 Mobile, 128MB. Generic 1gig DDR2. Hp. AMD Sempron 3400 1.8 512K, generic ram. Nvidia 256MB 7200Go. I don't need massive performance. I just don't want to wait forever for movies to edit. And, for inbetween classes, run games on decent levels. >.>. The University of Akron lied...it's a very boring campus during the day. Oh well, it's on the same tier as OSU for engineering, and not that far behind Case.

I just ordered an Alienware laptop...under $1500 and Intel core duo 1.66ghz 2G Ram, 100G SATA 7300rpm HD...can't wait till it gets here

New Post 10-19-2006 02:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for OnYrMrk Click here to Send OnYrMrk a Private Message Find more posts by OnYrMrk Add OnYrMrk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
defnyung

Editing movies on a laptop? Nah, takes too long and not enough hd space for my taste. Good luck

New Post 10-19-2006 06:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for defnyung Click here to Send defnyung a Private Message Find more posts by defnyung Add defnyung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
defnyung

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 10-19-2006 by SoundBeforeSight
I have an Inspiron and I love it. I never have had problems yet so I would rate it pretty high. If you plan on doing movie editing though, 60gigs may not be enough. You could just buy and external harddrive for pretty cheap though. You may want a desktop instead though; to buy a decent laptop it costs about the same as it is to buy a very high end desktop.

x2

New Post 10-19-2006 06:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for defnyung Click here to Send defnyung a Private Message Find more posts by defnyung Add defnyung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

Went with the Dell. The dual core and huge cache pushed me. The HP had free upgrade to 80 gigs, and dvd burnerw/lightscribe. I'll just transfer the file to my computer, and burn to dvd that way. Both videocards would perform around the same, so that wasn't a deal for me. Couple that with the fact my first computer as a Dell, and it ran fine, and my mom's is running fine. Thanks for the advice. And to...second poster, I need it primarily for note taking, but movie editing*like..5 minute movies* is a nice touch for speech class.

New Post 10-19-2006 06:24 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting