Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Cotton / pillow stuffing in speaker box?
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dunny

Cotton / pillow stuffing in speaker box?

Back in the day (like 8 years ago, lol) I had 2 12" solo-barics. Of course, they both were in smaller boxes which I chose to have sealed instead of ported. A friend of mine who was really into car audio recommended stuffing the boxes with pillow stuffing / cotton. I did this and never had any ill effects but I really wasn't sure if this 'trick' was truly beneficial. He claimed it made the sub "think" the box was actually bigger and would hit harder and deeper. I'm getting ready to install my L5 10" sub into a sealed box and I was wondering if this was worth doing again. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 10-30-2006 10:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dunny Click here to Send dunny a Private Message Find more posts by dunny Add dunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sounding

Im not sure of that but it seems easy enough to try it out noo

New Post 10-30-2006 10:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sounding Click here to Send sounding a Private Message Find more posts by sounding Add sounding to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dunny

Well, it's easy to try but I'm looking for input on if this actually makes sense! Maybe not scientific data but at least something that would support/deny my friend's claim. I will probably give it a try anyways but hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction...

New Post 10-30-2006 12:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dunny Click here to Send dunny a Private Message Find more posts by dunny Add dunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dyedef1966

Its true. It will cause the speaker to see an increase in box size of 10-15%. Use 1lb per cu.ft of volume

New Post 10-30-2006 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dyedef1966 Click here to Send dyedef1966 a Private Message Find more posts by dyedef1966 Add dyedef1966 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
squeak9798

Polyfil can have the same affect on sound as using a slightly larger enclosure, as the polyfil affects the acoustic compliance of the enclosure. On that note your friend was right.

Now, whether or not it will make the subwoofer "hit harder and deeper" is completely dependent on the enclosure size you are using. The affects will be subtle in most cases. But there is no guarantee of "harder and deeper" sound.

New Post 10-30-2006 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for squeak9798 Click here to Send squeak9798 a Private Message Find more posts by squeak9798 Add squeak9798 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dunny

AH, polyfil....that is what I used before! Yeah, I think I'll do it anyways. I believe when I questioned my buddy back then he explained that it helped but not a huge difference. I bought an enclosure that has .81cuft of space for my 10" L5 solo-baric. That amount is really right in the middle of the road, but I'll still try the polyfil. Thanks for the advice!

New Post 10-31-2006 08:15 AM
bluebledthesea

I stuck polyfil in my enclosure when I put everything together and it definitely made an improvement in sound.

New Post 10-31-2006 12:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bluebledthesea Click here to Send bluebledthesea a Private Message Find more posts by bluebledthesea Add bluebledthesea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 10-31-2006 by bluebledthesea
I stuck polyfil in my enclosure when I put everything together and it definitely made an improvement in sound.

In general should the entire box be filled or just the chambers?

New Post 10-31-2006 03:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TXhustla Click here to Send TXhustla a Private Message Find more posts by TXhustla Add TXhustla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 10-31-2006 by bluebledthesea

In general should the entire box be filled or just the chambers?

New Post 10-31-2006 03:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TXhustla Click here to Send TXhustla a Private Message Find more posts by TXhustla Add TXhustla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johny24

if its a sealed box, there are ONLY chambers and NO ports. so stuff the entire thing

New Post 10-31-2006 06:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johny24 Click here to Send johny24 a Private Message Find more posts by johny24 Add johny24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dunny

Well my L5 just came in and kicker actually recommends putting polyfil in the box. Here is what it says: "All sealed-enclosure airspace should be filled to 50% loose poly-fil (polyester fiberfill) stuffing." Works for me. Guess my buddy knew what he was talking about back then... Can't wait to get this sub hooked up to the zx300.1....

New Post 10-31-2006 06:45 PM
bluebledthesea

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 10-31-2006 by johny24
if its a sealed box, there are ONLY chambers and NO ports. so stuff the entire thing

Yup, it's a .8 cu ft sealed box with a 10" Alpine Type R. I needed just a bit more "space" for the speaker so I started out empty then loosely added polyfil to increase the internal surface area until it sounded right to my ear. I filled the chamber to the top with an even amount. I had to take the speaker out and put it back in a few times which was a bit tedious but in the end it was worth it.

Also a random tip when tweaking your sub that should be common sense... It's no fun, but every time you make a change close your trunk up or whatever, sit in the driver's seat, close the door and listen. You may get tired running back and forth but the sound will be worlds different than if you're just chilling in your trunk and listening there. I know from having a hatchback that most of the acoustics are determined by the whole rear chamber.

New Post 10-31-2006 10:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bluebledthesea Click here to Send bluebledthesea a Private Message Find more posts by bluebledthesea Add bluebledthesea to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE:

quote:

Its a single cab truck so should I still stuff the entire thing?

New Post 11-01-2006 01:43 PM
TXhustla

RE:

quote:

New Post 11-01-2006 01:44 PM
bluebledthesea

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 11-01-2006 by TXhustla

If you want to get all scientific about it, figure out the volume of your box and compare it to the manufacturer's recommendation for the sub. You will always fill the box from top to bottom with polyfil, but the disparity between your box and the recommendation will determine the density of the fill. If your box is already pretty close, just do a light but consistent stuff that still fills the entire box. (You'll always be filling the entire box, to bluntly answer your real question.)

Really, I'm just talking out of my ass here and in the end you'll have to adjust it to your ear to get it right. I mean, you've already put all this time and money into getting the equipment into your car... Take an hour to play with your polyfil and test it out. Put the whole bag in, put nothing in, fill it halfway. This isn't rocket science. If you want good sound you need to put the effort in to get it. There's really no harm in experimenting.

I will say, however, that you probably want to get your HU EQs and amp levels pretty close to right before adjusting with your polyfil. The stuff will help the sound, but it's not going to instantly take you from light thud to supernova bass. You want to be working with something good before you try and make it better.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a professional but my install sounds pretty sick so I can only speak from personal experience. Also, I'm not preaching to you in case you already know all this... Just putting info out there for anyone who may come across it. ;) )

New Post 11-01-2006 11:34 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting