Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > Looking for HUs with 4V preouts...
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Thunder

Looking for HUs with 4V preouts...

Can anyone tell me what brands in general offer HUs with 4V preouts? Or does it make a big difference over 2 or 2.2V? I'm trying to get the most from an HU, cuz I'm thinkin bout replacing my current pioneer with one that's sirius ready. If someone could point me in the right direction where I could find 4V HUs, I'd appreciate it. P.S. I'm also looking for an HU that features an auxilary input if possible for my mp3 player...?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-06-2006 05:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder Click here to Send Thunder a Private Message Find more posts by Thunder Add Thunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luther

RE: Looking for HUs with 4V preouts...

quote:
Originally posted on 12-06-2006 by Thunder
Can anyone tell me what brands in general offer HUs with 4V preouts? Or does it make a big difference over 2 or 2.2V? I'm trying to get the most from an HU, cuz I'm thinkin bout replacing my current pioneer with one that's sirius ready. If someone could point me in the right direction where I could find 4V HUs, I'd appreciate it. P.S. I'm also looking for an HU that features an auxilary input if possible for my mp3 player...?

I went from the 2v Alpine 9856, to the 5v pioneer 980bt and the SQ difference was very noticeable. The 680 is 200.00 at SonicElectronix, I'd consider the 780 for 100.00 more - it would take you up to 5v, give you a much better eq, and a much nicer display. I like the way the menus are setup on the 980 (I'm sure the 780 would be the same), and I bet the Sirius interfacing would be great. I'm very pleased with the ipod interaction - I find it easier than the Alpine. Here's the link for the 780: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6982.html

New Post 12-06-2006 07:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Luther Click here to Send Luther a Private Message Find more posts by Luther Add Luther to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thunder

Ok I think I was under the impression that a higher voltage would give my amplifier more volume/power. Is this somewhat true or does it just increase the clarity? And no, it's not an Ipod, a set of RCA inputs on the HU would be fine. Thanks for all your help.

New Post 12-06-2006 11:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder Click here to Send Thunder a Private Message Find more posts by Thunder Add Thunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-06-2006 by Thunder
Ok I think I was under the impression that a higher voltage would give my amplifier more volume/power. Is this somewhat true or does it just increase the clarity? And no, it's not an Ipod, a set of RCA inputs on the HU would be fine. Thanks for all your help.

Completely false. If you set your gains correctly your amplifier should make the same power with 0.5 volts of preout voltage as it does with 8 volts. Another common misconception is that it will make your amplifier work less to produce the same power, again, completely false.

As far as increasing clarity that really isn't what more preout voltage does. All a higher preout voltage does is give you a hotter signal as earlier in your signal chain, which maximizes signal to noise ratio. So if you are having noise floor problems, more preout voltage might help, but it you aren't, you will not notice any difference between a higher preout voltage and a lower one.

Finally, even though preout voltage isn't really that big of an issue, often times decks that have more features will have higher preout voltage. So if you find a deck that has the features that you want and its preout voltage happens to be higher, by all means get that deck. I just wouldn't weigh preout voltage into my decision.

New Post 12-07-2006 01:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pksimon28 Click here to Send pksimon28 a Private Message Find more posts by pksimon28 Add pksimon28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-07-2006 by pksimon28
Completely false. If you set your gains correctly your amplifier should make the same power with 0.5 volts of preout voltage as it does with 8 volts. Another common misconception is that it will make your amplifier work less to produce the same power, again, completely false.

As far as increasing clarity that really isn't what more preout voltage does. All a higher preout voltage does is give you a hotter signal as earlier in your signal chain, which maximizes signal to noise ratio. So if you are having noise floor problems, more preout voltage might help, but it you aren't, you will not notice any difference between a higher preout voltage and a lower one.

Finally, even though preout voltage isn't really that big of an issue, often times decks that have more features will have higher preout voltage. So if you find a deck that has the features that you want and its preout voltage happens to be higher, by all means get that deck. I just wouldn't weigh preout voltage into my decision.

Is it true not all decks do in which preouts are rated?

New Post 12-07-2006 07:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TXhustla Click here to Send TXhustla a Private Message Find more posts by TXhustla Add TXhustla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

They can clip it, if that's what you're asking.Most mid-higher level models from any respectable brand will have no problem doing their pre-out voltage though.

New Post 12-07-2006 07:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

Doesn't a Higher voltage also mean less gain is needed on an amp? I can only think a lower gain is better. Less noise, less chance of clipping, and technically, less strain on the amp.

New Post 12-07-2006 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-07-2006 by yoda06
Doesn't a Higher voltage also mean less gain is needed on an amp? I can only think a lower gain is better. Less noise, less chance of clipping, and technically, less strain on the amp.

There is less CHANCE for noise, but if you have no noise at a higher gain setting, you are not going to have less noise at a lower one. There is certainly no less chance for clipping or strain on the amplifier. Clipping at this level is either going to be caused by turning the voluming up to high so the HU will clip, or improperly setting your gain. If you want more information on the amplifier strain issue, check out werewolf's response in this thread.

New Post 12-07-2006 09:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pksimon28 Click here to Send pksimon28 a Private Message Find more posts by pksimon28 Add pksimon28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

"Higher voltage also mean less gain is needed on an amp?"

That's where the better S/N comes from.

New Post 12-07-2006 11:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-07-2006 by andymtx
True with the better brands. I sat through a Rockford training once that covered this topic and they used an Eclipse deck and a Jensen deck. The jensen claimed 4 volt output but when tested only put out 1.7 volt before clipping. Where as the Eclipse boasted 5 volt and gave us 5.2 untill it clipped. A higher output gives you more dynamic range and a higher S/N ratio meaning less or no system HISS at low volume and between tracks.

Can it be checked with DMM for accuracy?

New Post 12-09-2006 03:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TXhustla Click here to Send TXhustla a Private Message Find more posts by TXhustla Add TXhustla to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TXhustla

RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-09-2006 by andymtx
it will give you the voltage but your DMM will not detect a clipped signal.

So it wont tell what actual volts are? What setting should it be set?

New Post 12-09-2006 05:10 PM
pksimon28

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-09-2006 by TXhustla
So it wont tell what actual volts are? What setting should it be set?

It will tell you volts, but you have no way of knowing if you are getting an unclipped signal unless you use an oscilloscope to view the waveform. To measure you should play a 0dbfs test tone at some frequency not affected by any crossovers or eqs, and have the dmm set to AC volts.

New Post 12-09-2006 05:28 PM
TXhustla

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-09-2006 by pksimon28
It will tell you volts, but you have no way of knowing if you are getting an unclipped signal unless you use an oscilloscope to view the waveform. To measure you should play a 0dbfs test tone at some frequency not affected by any crossovers or eqs, and have the dmm set to AC volts.

AC 200 or 600? Does it matter what negitive and postive tone is in RCAs?

New Post 12-10-2006 03:54 PM
N2Audio

200 & 600 are just voltage ranges. If those are your only 2 options then 200 is the obvious choice since you're only measuring a few volts.
On your RCA's the center tip/receptacle is the (+) and the outer "barrell" is the (-), but it doesn't matter which probe you use measuring ac voltage.
Actually it doesn't matter measuring DC either, you'll just get a negative value if it's backwards.

New Post 12-11-2006 02:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreeClimber

If no one said anything, Eclipse have high pre-outs and have great SQ (from my experience) didn't mess with the head-unit that much. Might check into Panasonic as well, they seem to have a pretty solid decks (I've also heard these, and they have a lot of features, and got plenty of SQ). Just my 2 cents. Good luck

New Post 12-16-2006 12:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TreeClimber Click here to Send TreeClimber a Private Message Find more posts by TreeClimber Add TreeClimber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting