Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Car Audio Competitions and Shows > SQ teach me please!!!!
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
LoudAssGeo

SQ teach me please!!!!

ok, now i have been into stereo now for 12 year and i have been to numerous car shows and a few sound offs in my time. i hope i dont get alot of crap for not knowing this, but here goes. What is SQ? now now i know sound quality, but what exactly is it? meaning what does it take to win? rules? how its judged? i am just looking to learn and have someone teach what there is to be taught about SQ. thanks in advance. can i get some of the long timers to help.... cheif? n2? andymtx?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-12-2006 11:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sqliberty

In MECA we get judged on how well we reproduce the music the way it was supposed to soud. We all get judged using the same CD, right now that is the Chesky records ultimate demonstration disc. Not really my thing for daily listening, but a good reference disk for SQ tuning. On the score sheet there are 15 catagories we get judged on. System noise Low Frequencies Lower Midrange Midrange Highs Linearity Dynamics Ambience Front stage stage width stage height stage depth stage placment center stage placement right stage placement left

New Post 12-29-2006 08:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sqliberty Click here to Send sqliberty a Private Message Find more posts by sqliberty Add sqliberty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-29-2006 by sqliberty
In MECA we get judged on how well we reproduce the music the way it was supposed to soud. We all get judged using the same CD, right now that is the Chesky records ultimate demonstration disc. Not really my thing for daily listening, but a good reference disk for SQ tuning. On the score sheet there are 15 catagories we get judged on. System noise Low Frequencies Lower Midrange Midrange Highs Linearity Dynamics Ambience Front stage stage width stage height stage depth stage placment center stage placement right stage placement left

and its done by ear? or machine?

New Post 12-29-2006 08:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sqliberty

by ear. which can make SQ very difficult

New Post 12-29-2006 01:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sqliberty Click here to Send sqliberty a Private Message Find more posts by sqliberty Add sqliberty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-29-2006 by sqliberty
by ear. which can make SQ very difficult

Thats insane, but very intriguing in the same sense. Can you give me a personal run down of your experience in competition? Like if you were competing what exactly do?

New Post 12-29-2006 03:07 PM
sqliberty

I have one or two shows a month and I tune it the way I think sounds correct. a way to get a reference is listening to a high end home set up. I don't have one but the local high end home audio store does. At that point I rely alot on feedback from the judges/scoresheet.

New Post 12-29-2006 04:09 PM
sqliberty

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-29-2006 by andymtx
I only have done one MECA show in all my years and I thought it was a joke. He spent all of 5 minutes listening to my truck, I'm used to USAC and IASCA judges spending 20+ minutes. While listening he turned around a quickly glanced at my install and awarded me PHAT Truck and PHAT install, I took 2nd place behind a friend of mine who's car was set up more bass heavy then mine, it must have been the sound he was looking for????

Maybe?? I have never had a judge in and out that fast. 15 to 20 minutes minimum and that's a judge who has judged it before

New Post 12-29-2006 05:47 PM
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-29-2006 by andymtx
No I was judged by Steve something? He is the head guy at MECA.

so basically its all by ear? what if one judge has a different opinion on what sounds good? then you might win one show and loose another? what makes them the holy man at sq?

New Post 12-30-2006 10:31 AM
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-30-2006 by andymtx
Exactly! Back in the day I took 3rd at an IASCA show on a sat and Nathan Budonio took 1st, the next day at a USAC event he took 3rd and I took first and Best of show pro. IASCA for a while was doing SQ judge training but in reality it's all opinion. I have also experenced SQ judges rate you higher if you run their fav brand of audio gear, I always had my trunk closed so the SQ judge could not see what I was running, frankly it's none of his business, he is the SQ judge.

then it seems like its truly a luck type of competition. not really fair. and will turn out to piss off someone.

New Post 01-02-2007 07:39 AM
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-02-2007 by andymtx
Luck? yeah maybe, but also like it is here, it's a popularity contest. Be nice to the judges, they are nice to you, be an ass...well you know. I also knew from past USAC shows that they like a little more bass then the IASCA guys so I tweaked mine a little for sunday, I don't know if Nathan knew that or not, or it could have been that both USAC and IASCA rules are slightly different in some catagories. Example:USAC judges security systems and how hard a stereo system would be to steal,why do you think I use all tamper proof screws in my truck? I have tamper proof torx and allen head screws. IASCA has a section on convience features of an alarm. Not how well it protects(????) but how many convience things you can control. Keyless entry, power trunk, window control, remote start etc. Bear in mind I am going from the score sheets of past years and I am sure things have changed.

see and i thought it was just JUST about sound

New Post 01-03-2007 08:46 AM
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-03-2007 by andymtx
nope, installation safety and security, proper gauge wiring, wires run neatly, safetly, securly. Fusing, battery isolation and venting, ergonomics, there is a lot to it

damn. oppisite side of the spectrum when it come to spl. they gond care how its in there as long as its loud. distortion equals pressure just the same

New Post 01-03-2007 12:54 PM
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-03-2007 by andymtx
why do you think I say "loud is easy,try sounding good!"

haha. i see. this is why i got pissed when that 1badvmax guy questioned my knowledge about the sport. here where i live ( a couple hours south of atlanta) we dont host Sq comps. so i have never been subjected to it. all we ever have is spl you know? so its possible to be into the sport and never have done something. just because your an avid golfer doesnt mean you have played the masters

New Post 01-04-2007 08:15 AM
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-04-2007 by andymtx
It is definetly a lot different then just SPL. You also need a photo book showcasing your install for the judges to see. A consruction book if you will, you have to show the judges what they can't see, wiring behind amps, door panels removed showing speaker wiring, grommets in firewall,etc. My book for my truck consists of 120 pages. All indexed so it's easy for them to find what they are looking for. Now you know what the book stand is for in my install gallery.

ya, thats one thing i did know about sq was the book. thats about it though

New Post 01-05-2007 07:52 AM
sqliberty

In MECA the install stuff is a seperate event. For SQ they only do a basic saftey check/ once over to make sure you are in the correct class and there needs to be a fuse within 18 inches of the battery

New Post 01-05-2007 08:27 AM
LoudAssGeo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-05-2007 by sqliberty
In MECA the install stuff is a seperate event. For SQ they only do a basic saftey check/ once over to make sure you are in the correct class and there needs to be a fuse within 18 inches of the battery

but they judge by hear just like the others?

New Post 01-05-2007 08:31 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting