Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Old School getting back in the game.
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
VAOldSchool

Old School getting back in the game.

New to the board and just starting to assemble a car stereo again. I have a Ford Harley F-150 '06...and its factory system needs some serious help. Back in the late '80's to early '90's I was big into the scene on a consumer level (not pro) and had a pretty good system built around two MTX MTA 225's and one HiFonics Odin so I could compete in the 100 watt class. I used to wear out the Fosgate famed punch 45's. lol So...I have a lot of catching up to do. I just bought a JL Audio Stealth box for the truck and it comes with a 10" sub...a 10W3v3-4. JL was JUST bursting on to the scene when I got out...and I remember how smooth their subs were on middle range power. Back then I was running three of the MTX Terminator free air subs...they had a grey cone with a pink center...LOL...but with limited space they performed pretty well. Anyway...I'm doing some "homework" and need to find a good amp. My ears can't take what they used to...and I am more into SQ than SPL's...but I do like to turn it up from time to time. So...should I Ebay it for something old school, or are there some good amps out now worth looking at? I see a few Orion's, PPI's, MTX, and Soundstream old school amps on Ebay that look nice. Talk to me fellas...I have a LOT of catching up to do. Anyone have any thoughts on the Soundstream Tarantula series?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-17-2007 10:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for VAOldSchool Click here to Send VAOldSchool a Private Message Find more posts by VAOldSchool Add VAOldSchool to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SUBTROY1

Some of that old School stuff is still awesome stuff in my book. Like the old Rockford amps. There was some really good equipment that came out in the 90s. Troy - carbudgetaudio.com

New Post 01-18-2007 12:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SUBTROY1 Click here to Send SUBTROY1 a Private Message Find more posts by SUBTROY1 Add SUBTROY1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Da99en

fellow ol'schooler

Just my opition, but I've bought all old school stuff off of ebay myself.
As long as its in good condition the old stuff(PPI, RF, Orion,autotek,MTX, Soundstream amps)are
all just built like tanks, and last for 20 or more years.
You can also get hella deals, I just bought 2-RF Punch 100.2s for $118 shipped
and we all know these will run an entire system.

GO OLD SCHOOL OR GO HOME!!

New Post 01-18-2007 09:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Da99en Click here to Send Da99en a Private Message Find more posts by Da99en Add Da99en to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE: Old School getting back in the game.

quote:
Originally posted on 01-17-2007 by VAOldSchool
New to the board and just starting to assemble a car stereo again. I have a Ford Harley F-150 '06...and its factory system needs some serious help. Back in the late '80's to early '90's I was big into the scene on a consumer level (not pro) and had a pretty good system built around two MTX MTA 225's and one HiFonics Odin so I could compete in the 100 watt class. I used to wear out the Fosgate famed punch 45's. lol So...I have a lot of catching up to do. I just bought a JL Audio Stealth box for the truck and it comes with a 10" sub...a 10W3v3-4. JL was JUST bursting on to the scene when I got out...and I remember how smooth their subs were on middle range power. Back then I was running three of the MTX Terminator free air subs...they had a grey cone with a pink center...LOL...but with limited space they performed pretty well. Anyway...I'm doing some "homework" and need to find a good amp. My ears can't take what they used to...and I am more into SQ than SPL's...but I do like to turn it up from time to time. So...should I Ebay it for something old school, or are there some good amps out now worth looking at? I see a few Orion's, PPI's, MTX, and Soundstream old school amps on Ebay that look nice. Talk to me fellas...I have a LOT of catching up to do. Anyone have any thoughts on the Soundstream Tarantula series?

ebay has had alot of Hifonics series 7 and 8 lately just type in the search on ebay for Hifonics VIII i have found zues, odin, colouses ( my spelling sucks), cyclops, and plutos.

New Post 01-18-2007 10:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAOldSchool

How do you guys feel the old school stuff measures up SQ wise to the new kids on the block? The local guy is trying to sell me a JL Audio 300/4. Who's making "good amps" now a days? I knew who the players were back then...Orion, PPI, HiFonics, Soundstream, Adcom, Linear Power, Zapco, Phoenix Gold, Fosgate, Autotek, and select MTX amps (made by Orion and PPI of course). lol But I have no clue how the new stuff compares...any "jewels" that are built today?

New Post 01-18-2007 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for VAOldSchool Click here to Send VAOldSchool a Private Message Find more posts by VAOldSchool Add VAOldSchool to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-18-2007 by VAOldSchool
How do you guys feel the old school stuff measures up SQ wise to the new kids on the block? The local guy is trying to sell me a JL Audio 300/4. Who's making "good amps" now a days? I knew who the players were back then...Orion, PPI, HiFonics, Soundstream, Adcom, Linear Power, Zapco, Phoenix Gold, Fosgate, Autotek, and select MTX amps (made by Orion and PPI of course). lol But I have no clue how the new stuff compares...any "jewels" that are built today?

with that list i would remove ppi,hifonics,soundstream,linear power,and fosgate. jl is still a top brand!

New Post 01-18-2007 11:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

JL amps are very nice, on top of the mainstream brands IMO (and priced accordingly).

Zapco's still awesome, very pricey. MTX has made some real nice sub amps in recent years.
Soundstream - still pretty good IMO, but has had an ownership change recently and probably one of those "wait and see" deals.
Same story with Autotek, Orion, and PPI.

FWIW - the company that built all those sweet Hifonics, Autoteks and Lanzar's back in the day (Zed Audio) is now building their own amps.
One of VERY few brands still being designed and built in America. If you like that old school quality, but want the modern controls check out ZedAudio.com

New Post 01-18-2007 11:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-18-2007 by N2Audio
JL amps are very nice, on top of the mainstream brands IMO (and priced accordingly).

Zapco's still awesome, very pricey. MTX has made some real nice sub amps in recent years.
Soundstream - still pretty good IMO, but has had an ownership change recently and probably one of those "wait and see" deals.

FWIW - the company that built all those sweet Hifonics, Autoteks and Lanzar's back in the day (Zed Audio) is now building their own amps.
One of VERY few brands still being designed and built in America. If you like that old school quality, but want the modern controls check out ZedAudio.com

good point!

New Post 01-18-2007 11:13 AM
Da99en

look at these sweet deals

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-4080-Amp_W0QQitemZ220072996949QQihZ012QQcategoryZ39737QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-160x4-Trans-ana-Amp_W0QQitemZ220072983426QQihZ012QQcategoryZ39737QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those 2 would make a sweet SQ system.

New Post 01-18-2007 11:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Da99en Click here to Send Da99en a Private Message Find more posts by Da99en Add Da99en to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAOldSchool

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-18-2007 by N2Audio

I've been reading your posts a lot on here... Glad to hear you like the JL stuff. Although I also pick up on the "mainstream"...and sometimes has a negative conotation. lol Back in the '80's Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, JVC were "mainstream" equipment, but Orion, HiFonics, PPI and all the others were audiophile lunatic fringe CAR audio stuff. lol While Alpine and some of the other consumer level stuff is fine...I've always leaned more toward the latter. Here's what I'm putting together...and maybe you guys can offer some insight. I have an '06 Ford F-150 Harley Eddition. The stock system is weak...especially after having a Tundra with the JBL system which wasn't too bad for stock. I've got a new Pioneer AVIC-Z1 head unit, and ordered a JL Stealthbox with the single 10". I want a little low end, but with a crew cab if you want to keep your seating my options are limited. Infact the shop here just called, and said my stealth box is NEW and won't be available until mid-Feb...which suck. So now I need to decide on speakers and power. I'm not concerned about my neighbors musical enjoyment anymore...so SPL is nice, but not the priority. SQ is! I asked the stereo shop here...and they were bashing MB Quart saying they aren't what they were. The bashed the current Orion, MTX, HiFonics, and Soundstream...stating the ownership changes ruined their lines. So now here I am thinking Retro. I thought about the JL 500/5...but they want almost a grand installed. And if it's only consumer level...and not audiophile...that's a little steep. For a grand I can buy almost any vintage old school amp and have something that will LAST as well as sound good. I have a '70's Dynaco A410 studio am and a Rotel 4 channel running the home stuff...if you know what I mean. Classics...but not as lunatic as tube amps or MacIntosh stuff...but still sweet sounding. So now what? I love the Zed amps...I check out the site, and love the look. I just don't see any dealers listed, and I'm not sure who'd do the install? It's been years since I've torn apart a car...and I've ruined a few door panels and dash panels in my day, and not ready to go down that road again. lol Advice?

New Post 01-18-2007 12:54 PM
VAOldSchool

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-18-2007 by LoudAssGeo
with that list i would remove ppi,hifonics,soundstream,linear power,and fosgate. jl is still a top brand!

Remove them meaning??? Eliminate or elevate? lol

New Post 01-18-2007 12:56 PM
VAOldSchool

RE: look at these sweet deals

quote:
Originally posted on 01-18-2007 by Da99en
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-4080-Amp_W0QQitemZ220072996949QQihZ012QQcategoryZ39737QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-160x4-Trans-ana-Amp_W0QQitemZ220072983426QQihZ012QQcategoryZ39737QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those 2 would make a sweet SQ system.

Those wouldn't happen to be yours would they??? lol I saw them...and I agree they'd be sweet, but not quite new enough to drop in a 35K truck. I want something a little more unique if I'm gonna do it. I either want modern day SQ that will last or something vintage that will not only rock but also turn some heads. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300070314470&rd=1&rd=1

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-O-S-Soundstream-Picasso-Pure-A-Class-NEW_W0QQitemZ300071727934QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New Post 01-18-2007 01:00 PM
luke05

if you don't have your mind set on any specific subs, i've got some rockford fosgate 1410 subs in an enclosure. They are from 1996, i believe, so i'm not sure if they're old school enough, but i could let em go for 125 not including shipping...so let me know if anyone's interested.

New Post 01-18-2007 01:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for luke05 Click here to Send luke05 a Private Message Find more posts by luke05 Add luke05 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-18-2007 by VAOldSchool
Remove them meaning??? Eliminate or elevate? lol

i would remove them from someone looking to buy brand new. if its old school and still works i would rather buy them.

New Post 01-18-2007 01:21 PM
VAOldSchool

RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-18-2007 by LoudAssGeo
i would remove them from someone looking to buy brand new. if its old school and still works i would rather buy them.

Ahh...gotcha. I would like a nice old school amp too, but every time I see one for sale online someone gets out of control in the bidding, and the amp goes for some rediculous price! Even more than a new JL!

New Post 01-18-2007 01:33 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting