Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > Impedance calculation
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mod42

Impedance calculation

I recently was informed that a single ohm load to a 1 ohm stable amplifier can be done....(which I already knew) but Ive also found out it can be a major drain on the amp and can cause it to overheat/thermal protect/not put out its full power. So my point is, how can I wire (2) 12s- dual 4 ohm voice coils to a mono D block @ a 2 ohm impedance? So the equipment will last longer, and so it will put out enough power to drive the subs to the right power level. This is coming from an expert I talked to here in Detroit and he said that even though 1 ohm is stable on the amps, that amp is still not producing its said power rating constantly. Its fluctuating since the load is so high; so he suggested I try and get it down to at least a 2 ohm load but i never got the chance to ask him how I would wire it down that way. Thanks in advance, Paul.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-10-2007 04:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mod42 Click here to Send mod42 a Private Message Find more posts by mod42 Add mod42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rude2ted

2 ohm load

If the subs are dvc wired at 4ohms already, just paralell wire them for a 2ohm load. Spkr A+ to Spkr B+ to amp+, Same for Spkr A- and Spkr B- to amp-. Check with multimeter first though. LOL

New Post 02-10-2007 07:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rude2ted Click here to Send rude2ted a Private Message Find more posts by rude2ted Add rude2ted to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NinetySixYenko

RE: 2 ohm load

quote:
Originally posted on 02-10-2007 by rude2ted
If the subs are dvc wired at 4ohms already, just paralell wire them for a 2ohm load. Spkr A+ to Spkr B+ to amp+, Same for Spkr A- and Spkr B- to amp-. Check with multimeter first though. LOL

that goes to 1 Ohm, you cant wire DVC4 to 2 ohm, what amp is it?? and if it has protect settings, just run it at 1 ohm, and see how it acts, and if it goes into protect, if it does, change it, if not, your fine

New Post 02-10-2007 11:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NinetySixYenko Click here to Send NinetySixYenko a Private Message Find more posts by NinetySixYenko Add NinetySixYenko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mod42

RE: RE: 2 ohm load

quote:
Originally posted on 02-10-2007 by NinetySixYenko
that goes to 1 Ohm, you cant wire DVC4 to 2 ohm, what amp is it?? and if it has protect settings, just run it at 1 ohm, and see how it acts, and if it goes into protect, if it does, change it, if not, your fine

oh I know its stable @ 1 ohm. The main thing is the fact that it was explained to me that its a huge load on the amp and its going to be constantly trying to "reload" that power...which will in turn cause it to heat up; and heat can burn out the amplifier faster. Since I cant wire it down, I might just see about a dual 2 ohm woofer...

New Post 02-10-2007 11:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mod42 Click here to Send mod42 a Private Message Find more posts by mod42 Add mod42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rude2ted

2ohm load

My bad, I run dual Kicker DCVR122 subs which are 2ohm, not 4ohm subs. You can still use the subs you have by wiring them to a 8ohm load, which the amp should read at 4ohms. 1/2 the watts/power pushing them, but you'll have no probs with over working/over heating the amp.

New Post 02-11-2007 01:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for rude2ted Click here to Send rude2ted a Private Message Find more posts by rude2ted Add rude2ted to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NinetySixYenko

RE: RE: RE: 2 ohm load

quote:
Originally posted on 02-10-2007 by mod42
oh I know its stable @ 1 ohm. The main thing is the fact that it was explained to me that its a huge load on the amp and its going to be constantly trying to "reload" that power...which will in turn cause it to heat up; and heat can burn out the amplifier faster. Since I cant wire it down, I might just see about a dual 2 ohm woofer...

ok, a single dual 2 ohm sub, would still wire down to 1 ohm, you need 2 dual 2 ohm subs to get 2 ohm load... and wire would you buy new subs??? that would cost just as much as a new amp *when* yours burns out( which it will not do ) if it is truly stable at 1 ohm, then it is stable at 1 ohm, thats it

New Post 02-11-2007 11:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NinetySixYenko Click here to Send NinetySixYenko a Private Message Find more posts by NinetySixYenko Add NinetySixYenko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mod42

RE: RE: RE: RE: 2 ohm load

quote:
Originally posted on 02-11-2007 by NinetySixYenko
ok, a single dual 2 ohm sub, would still wire down to 1 ohm, you need 2 dual 2 ohm subs to get 2 ohm load... and wire would you buy new subs??? that would cost just as much as a new amp *when* yours burns out( which it will not do ) if it is truly stable at 1 ohm, then it is stable at 1 ohm, thats it

who said I had subs in the first place? This is for a future system..im just getting this sorted out now...heat causes distruction just like in your engine...if your engine heats up to past where its supposed to be, things start busting up.

New Post 02-11-2007 04:08 PM
Benzon

Amp's should be over manufactured to be able to do what they say they can do and do it for a long time. I would say it depends on what brand your buying.. If your buying some cheap stuff then take the safe road and run it at 2 ohm's, If your running quality/reliable stuff then push it. If heat becomes and issue the amp should have a protect and switch itself off. Also hows your electrical system, as you may not even be able to take the amp any where near it's limits.
Also for any wiring questions refer here
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=145

New Post 02-11-2007 05:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Benzon Click here to Send Benzon a Private Message Find more posts by Benzon Add Benzon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mod42

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-11-2007 by Benzon
Amp's should be over manufactured to be able to do what they say they can do and do it for a long time. I would say it depends on what brand your buying.. If your buying some cheap stuff then take the safe road and run it at 2 ohm's, If your running quality/reliable stuff then push it. If heat becomes and issue the amp should have a protect and switch itself off. Also hows your electrical system, as you may not even be able to take the amp any where near it's limits.
Also for any wiring questions refer here
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=145

the protect switch isnt what you think it is. I also learned from this person I met here who told me that the protect switch doesnt just shut the amp down when it gets too hot; it works as a regulator. Its not a straight up switch. As the amp gets hotter, it allows the amp to produce output on a fluctuation. So the hotter it gets, the less output you will see; and if it gets to the point where its too hot, then the amp will shut itself off. Like I said before this is what was told to me by a reliable source. The electrical system comment is void being that I already have a battery capable enough and I will be getting an HO alternator to handle it.

New Post 02-11-2007 07:00 PM
Benzon

Ok so your going to be pushing your amp to the max at all times? IE Just because the amp is rated at 1100wRMS or whatever your amp is, unless you have it banging all the time your not going to be pushing a continuous 1100w. I would say anything operating at max would eventually get hot enough to die/shut off. And as far as the protect switch, it may vary by unit to unit heat or clipping. I would say it comes down to how your going to be operating your system and in what environment....

New Post 02-11-2007 07:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Benzon Click here to Send Benzon a Private Message Find more posts by Benzon Add Benzon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
00montecarlo

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-11-2007 by mod42
the protect switch isnt what you think it is. I also learned from this person I met here who told me that the protect switch doesnt just shut the amp down when it gets too hot; it works as a regulator. Its not a straight up switch. As the amp gets hotter, it allows the amp to produce output on a fluctuation. So the hotter it gets, the less output you will see; and if it gets to the point where its too hot, then the amp will shut itself off. Like I said before this is what was told to me by a reliable source. The electrical system comment is void being that I already have a battery capable enough and I will be getting an HO alternator to handle it.

almost every amplifier on the market with a Temp. Protect. Circuit built in has a thermometer that when it reaches a certain temp.(set by manufacturer) sends the amp into protection mode and will not return to normal until it cools down or until you turn the car off.

New Post 02-12-2007 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 00montecarlo Click here to Send 00montecarlo a Private Message Find more posts by 00montecarlo Add 00montecarlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DjStr8

How do u check the ohms of ur subs or speakers with a multimeter? Thanks

New Post 02-12-2007 02:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DjStr8 Click here to Send DjStr8 a Private Message Find more posts by DjStr8 Add DjStr8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fbmowner

put the meter on ohm \ resistance check , put it on 20\or 10 w\e the lowest or second to lowest setting is. ...UNPLUG the subs from the amp, then put the probes on the end of the wires from the subs or in the back of the terminal from the box, + on + - on - , and there you have it. if it says OL or 0 go to a lower setting, or you have a problem,lol go to infinitysystems.com and check out some wiring guides...i dont think its possible for a 2ohm load with your subs...1 or 4

New Post 02-12-2007 03:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fbmowner Click here to Send fbmowner a Private Message Find more posts by fbmowner Add fbmowner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NinetySixYenko

quote:

as i learned from N2, HO alts arent always nesecary, usually arent at all, big 3 first, and even if it does go down in output, still be more than the 2 ohm load, and what brand amp? most ppl here could tell you if it is actually 1 ohm stable by brand, and as for heat, it will shut itself off if it gets to a damaging hot degree, and thus you won't lose a amp

New Post 02-12-2007 04:07 PM
1BAD86VMAX

quote:

Since you don't have subs yet , why would you not just buy 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs .Parrellel wire them and your amp will see a 2 ohm load .

New Post 02-12-2007 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1BAD86VMAX Click here to Send 1BAD86VMAX a Private Message Find more posts by 1BAD86VMAX Add 1BAD86VMAX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
NRred2, from New York, NY. OnYrMrk, from Oklahoma City, OK. chosmo, from Austin, TX. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. Dal1as, from , MD. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kyat316, from Austin, TX. KickerBoy, from London Ontario, AL. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. pksimon28, from Plainfield, IL. jrdrywater, from pryor, OK. djbeats, from Jacksonville, FL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. larcos, from El Paso, TX. Mauro, from Erechim, AL. geob1kenobi, from Joshua, TX. goldblum, from Yonkers, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting