Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > please help a newb with wiring
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
413audio

please help a newb with wiring

hey, i got a ? on bridging an amp and a sub, im pretty new to the car audio deal, so maybe someone with experince can help me out... - 1 sub--- TS-W3002SPL 12' sub, 3000w max, 1000w rms, Dual Voice Coil , each at 2 ohms. This design offers you the flexibility of turning it into either a 1-ohm sub (voice coils connected in parallel), an 4-ohm sub (connected in a series), or powering the voice coils separately (dual 2 ohm loads). -1 amp--- pyramid crystal, 2 channel, 1600w max power, # 800 Watts x 2 Output @ 4 Ohms # 1600 Watts x 1 Bridged Output @ 4 Ohms - i do not currently have them bridged and i was wondering if bridging them will work, and sound better if it does? both of these units are in the trunk of my car, any help is grealty appriciated

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-13-2007 09:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 413audio Click here to Send 413audio a Private Message Find more posts by 413audio Add 413audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rude2ted

I would either bridge it and run sub at 4ohms, or to get the max out of it , run 2 channels, one to each voice coil. If you bridge it and run the sub at 2ohms, the amp sees a 1ohm load and will overheat/shutdown depending on how hard you are pushing it. Ran into the same thing when I had Phoenix Gold 600ti 2 channel, and it would shut down quickly when pushed. LOL Ted

New Post 02-13-2007 09:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rude2ted Click here to Send rude2ted a Private Message Find more posts by rude2ted Add rude2ted to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edzy

noob

I do not think that amp puts out 1600. But any way, Bridge the amp and wire the sub for 4 ohms. it will be your best bet. It may under power that sub, so set the gains right, or you will clip the sub into an early grave.

New Post 02-13-2007 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for edzy Click here to Send edzy a Private Message Find more posts by edzy Add edzy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

if you have the PB1281X you're looking at around 240w bridged into 4 ohms.
I would agree that the best option is to wire the coils in series for 4 ohms and bridge the amp.

Don't crank the gain - all that will do is make it sound like ass, but you couldn't damage that sub with that amp if you ran it at full volume for the rest of your life.

New Post 02-13-2007 11:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
413audio

yea, i just wasnt to sure about the whole wire deal with the ohms and stuff, thanks everyone for helping

New Post 02-14-2007 11:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 413audio Click here to Send 413audio a Private Message Find more posts by 413audio Add 413audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
12sNdaTrunK

i need a lil help myself.... i'm not the most savvy person when it comes to amps and subs so i need a lil help here from some peeps who really know bout subs and amps... i got 2 Memphis 12s hooked up to a mono block amp. i got another amp today and i'm confused as to can i just unhook the other one, and hookup the new one? this is what the deal is now... 300rms @ 2ohms x 1 (150 to each (yea, that sucks...reason i bought a new amp)) the speakers are 4ohm dvc, 500 watt max. the speaker wires are like this... one speaker is wired to the other, then another wire goes into the amp from the 2nd speaker (amp has one speaker output and i'm assuming this is how you make two speakers run on mono). now i'm trying to run this amp at 2ohms as well. it comes out to be 900rms @ 2ohms x 1 (450 to each speaker). sooo....am i able to just swap amps or would i need to run a different configuration (the new amp has 2 sets of speaker outputs). thanks

New Post 02-15-2007 08:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 12sNdaTrunK Click here to Send 12sNdaTrunK a Private Message Find more posts by 12sNdaTrunK Add 12sNdaTrunK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joshwill0001

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-15-2007 by 12sNdaTrunK
i need a lil help myself.... i'm not the most savvy person when it comes to amps and subs so i need a lil help here from some peeps who really know bout subs and amps... i got 2 Memphis 12s hooked up to a mono block amp. i got another amp today and i'm confused as to can i just unhook the other one, and hookup the new one? this is what the deal is now... 300rms @ 2ohms x 1 (150 to each (yea, that sucks...reason i bought a new amp)) the speakers are 4ohm dvc, 500 watt max. the speaker wires are like this... one speaker is wired to the other, then another wire goes into the amp from the 2nd speaker (amp has one speaker output and i'm assuming this is how you make two speakers run on mono). now i'm trying to run this amp at 2ohms as well. it comes out to be 900rms @ 2ohms x 1 (450 to each speaker). sooo....am i able to just swap amps or would i need to run a different configuration (the new amp has 2 sets of speaker outputs). thanks

Not the smartest dude myself but it would seem that you could just swap the wires. As long as what you say about the amp is correct. What amp?

New Post 02-16-2007 08:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joshwill0001 Click here to Send joshwill0001 a Private Message Find more posts by joshwill0001 Add joshwill0001 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joshwill0001

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2007 by joshwill0001
Not the smartest dude myself but it would seem that you could just swap the wires. As long as what you say about the amp is correct. What amp?

However running 450 RMS to a sub that is rated at 250RMS is unwise...unless you want to shorten the lifespan of your subs :)

New Post 02-16-2007 08:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joshwill0001 Click here to Send joshwill0001 a Private Message Find more posts by joshwill0001 Add joshwill0001 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2007 by joshwill0001
However running 450 RMS to a sub that is rated at 250RMS is unwise...unless you want to shorten the lifespan of your subs :)

isn't it better to overpower a sub than to run an amp that is underpowered? How much over can you safely overpower a sub?? I have my 2 channel amp bridged to 240watts powering a 200watt rms 10" sub

New Post 02-16-2007 10:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joshwill0001

RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2007 by gameguru1360
isn't it better to overpower a sub than to run an amp that is underpowered? How much over can you safely overpower a sub?? I have my 2 channel amp bridged to 240watts powering a 200watt rms 10" sub

good question...nearly every guy i know runs their sub underpowered. I listened to a sub that was rated 450rms and had a 75x2 bridged goign into it and it still sounded NICE. I ran my crossfire XT15 1500RMS 4500max running off a 1000RMS and it sounded sweet. Then the guy at the shop said he went SPL with the same XT15 sub and ran 4x 1000RMS subs into it (2 amps per voice coil) and it was loving it. As far as I am aware it is good to keep it around the rated RMS simply to extend extend the length of life...correct me if I am wrong...

New Post 02-16-2007 11:10 AM
N2Audio

if you're worried about damaging a speaker it always comes down to power. Whether it's power from over-driving an amp into clipping or running an amp within its limits that is simply too powerful for the speaker.
So if you want to play it safe use an amp < or = to the speaker's rms rating, and make sure you set the gain low enough to keep the amp from clipping.
If the objective is to drive a speaker to its limits - get a big ass amp. Most speakers can handle a lot more than rated power just because music is so dynamic.

I read an anecdote from a sr. technican/engineer from one of the more widely respected audio electronics labs in the country. He described the amp the lab uses to test most of the speakers sent to the lab - a commercial GE amp capable of 15,000w x 2 (rms). He explained that it is routinely used to audition 50w coaxial speakers, not because they need nearly that much power, but because it's on wheels and is easy to move around the lab. The only time they blow speakers is doing max power tests.

What it comes down to is you can power a speaker with just about anything within reason. The key is to use some common sense setting the gain and controlling the volume.

New Post 02-17-2007 07:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
12sNdaTrunK

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-17-2007 by N2Audio
if you're worried about damaging a speaker it always comes down to power. Whether it's power from over-driving an amp into clipping or running an amp within its limits that is simply too powerful for the speaker.
So if you want to play it safe use an amp < or = to the speaker's rms rating, and make sure you set the gain low enough to keep the amp from clipping.
If the objective is to drive a speakerto its limits - get a big ass amp. Most speakers can handle a lot more than rated power just because music is so dynamic.

I read an anecdote from a sr. technican/engineer from one of the more widely respected audio electronics labs in the country. He described the amp the lab uses to test most of the speakers sent to the lab - a commercial GE amp capable of 15,000w x 2 (rms). He explained that it is routinely used to audition 50w coaxial speakers, not because they need nearly that much power, but because it's on wheels and is easy to move around the lab. The only time they blow speakers is doing max power tests.

What it comes down to is you can power a speaker with just about anything within reason. The key is to use some common sense setting the gain and controlling the volume.

that's an educational post... thank you. what exactly is the gain though? i've never quite fully understood this?

New Post 02-17-2007 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 12sNdaTrunK Click here to Send 12sNdaTrunK a Private Message Find more posts by 12sNdaTrunK Add 12sNdaTrunK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

Basic gain info

Detailed gain info

New Post 02-19-2007 09:21 AM
gameguru1360

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-17-2007 by N2Audio
If the objective is to drive a speaker to its limits - get a big ass amp. Most speakers can handle a lot more than rated power just because music is so dynamic.

well this surely changes what I've read about either overpowering or underpowering a sub. it really comes down to how you set the gains and the bass eq....other sites that sell subs and let you review them display users that have underpowered the subs and they still sound great.

New Post 02-19-2007 04:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-19-2007 by gameguru1360
well this surely changes what I've read about either overpowering or underpowering a sub. it really comes down to how you set the gains and the bass eq....other sites that sell subs and let you review them display users that have underpowered the subs and they still sound great.

you can most definitely get good performance out of a speaker w/o driving it with rated power.

New Post 02-19-2007 04:47 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting