Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > Capacitor
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
heights161

Capacitor

I have a Pyle PLA2750 2 Channel 2400 watt connected to two kicker 12" L5's. how many farads should the capacitor be for my amp?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-14-2007 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for heights161 Click here to Send heights161 a Private Message Find more posts by heights161 Add heights161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NextGen

0 farad, as they're a phenomenal waste of money.

New Post 02-14-2007 01:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for NextGen Click here to Send NextGen a Private Message Find more posts by NextGen Add NextGen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE: Capacitor

quote:
Originally posted on 02-14-2007 by heights161
I have a Pyle PLA2750 2 Channel 2400 watt connected to two kicker 12" L5's. how many farads should the capacitor be for my amp?

if you insist on a cap then the general rule of thump i mean thumb should be 1 farad for every thousand watts. you can run 3 or 5 farad and be fine. ps they are not a waste of money. they are just misunderstood. they are not meant to fix a charging issue, they are meant to run with a good charging system. i would look into getting an exstatic batcap if you have the money.

New Post 02-14-2007 07:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

FWIW - RMS power for that amp is 580w.

New Post 02-14-2007 09:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heights161

o i see thanks

New Post 02-14-2007 05:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for heights161 Click here to Send heights161 a Private Message Find more posts by heights161 Add heights161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heights161

what happens if you choose a capacitor way stonger than what you need?

New Post 02-14-2007 05:09 PM
NextGen

Nothing, because they don't do anything anyway.

New Post 02-14-2007 09:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for NextGen Click here to Send NextGen a Private Message Find more posts by NextGen Add NextGen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-14-2007 by NextGen
Nothing, because they don't do anything anyway.

why dont you throw me some educated well thought out explanation as to why they dont work?

New Post 02-15-2007 07:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-15-2007 by LoudAssGeo
why dont you throw me some educated well thought out explanation as to why they dont work?

I thought they were recommended when choosing amps with at least 1100 watts??

New Post 02-15-2007 10:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-15-2007 by gameguru1360
I thought they were recommended when choosing amps with at least 1100 watts??

usually 1 farad per 1000 watts. its ok to have more farads but not more watts than farads

New Post 02-15-2007 10:52 AM
newfosgatesucks

Because all they are capable of is sporatic bursts of voltage, and supplied amperage thru them is minimal. In effect, they create a limiting factor on amperage. Voltage, as part of the real big three -ohms law..Is USELESS without amperage. When your 1,000 watt amp draws current, it will do similar to waht a bulging water main does. Adding a storage tank of water does not supply more current, and adding a capacitor does not supply more amperage. Look at it like this - give your (1000 watt )amp 16 volts at input, and run it on 50 amps of current. It will vever act right. Adjust the feed amperage to 120 amps potential, and reduce voltage to 11.5. The whole world just straightened out, and the amp is pumping out now. All a cap is, just an electrolytic suspension of kionetic energy. Ever notice they gauge them on VOLTAGE? Although voltage is a key ingredient to sound, amperage is the punch, and voltage is the jealousy in a mans mind that delivered the punch cuz his girl is a ho...resistance is "can I take him?"

New Post 02-15-2007 10:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heights161

oh so i guess i dont need it on my Pyle PLA2750 2 Channel 2400 watt

New Post 02-15-2007 12:16 PM
newfosgatesucks

I cant really see why. Just make sure your batt is solid, and rock on. I've tried several in hopes of getting more out of what I got-And none helped. And a little bit of info - the farad measurements are absolute bullshit- in my mouser catalog, I have yet to find a 1 farad cap that could fit in the chrome housing offered by any audio source--At BEST those 9 inch long, 4 inch thick babies are .4 Farad. Nikkon, Elna, Nchicoon, Mallory, their 1 farads are like twice the size of the ones we all see.

New Post 02-15-2007 02:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-15-2007 by newfosgatesucks
I cant really see why. Just make sure your batt is solid, and rock on. I've tried several in hopes of getting more out of what I got-And none helped. And a little bit of info - the farad measurements are absolute bullshit- in my mouser catalog, I have yet to find a 1 farad cap that could fit in the chrome housing offered by any audio source--At BEST those 9 inch long, 4 inch thick babies are .4 Farad. Nikkon, Elna, Nchicoon, Mallory, their 1 farads are like twice the size of the ones we all see.

nikkon? as in cameras? now fos you know i am on your side... but apples and oranges here my man. you cant really reference cams here can you? besides i dont think the cap is made for amperage. doesnt it atleast work to provide a SHORT SHORT burst ( reserve ) of power?

New Post 02-16-2007 06:23 AM
joshwill0001

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2007 by LoudAssGeo
nikkon? as in cameras? now fos you know i am on your side... but apples and oranges here my man. you cant really reference cams here can you? besides i dont think the cap is made for amperage. doesnt it atleast work to provide a SHORT SHORT burst ( reserve ) of power?

As far as I am aware 1 Farad per 1000 Watt is the way...however only after alternator and battery are sorted. There are a million posts here that say capacitors will help with SQL (stabilises voltage), however will not stop those headlights dimming :)

New Post 02-16-2007 08:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joshwill0001 Click here to Send joshwill0001 a Private Message Find more posts by joshwill0001 Add joshwill0001 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting