Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > New Zed amps are old school in new package!
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pooods

New Zed amps are old school in new package!

I bought 2 new Zeds and finally tested the larger one today. It is the Deuce which is very conservatively rated at 200x2. Well, they definetely underrated it just like the old days when they built Hifonics, Autotek and Lanzars among others. This thing made me feel younger with its crisp response and old school looks. All the current and voltage we tested was right in line with the manuf. ratings. We installed it on a simulator at the local shop where I once worked. They sold Zed built amps way back in the 80's and early 90's. So, you can imagine the interest the owner had in this amp when I carried it in today. He doesn't get excited by audio much these days, but this amp excited him. Basically, Zed created an old school amp with a new warranty. In today's times of overseas junk, this amp is a breath of fresh air. I left it at the shop. A local guy will be over tomorrow with his car. He still runs old Zeds in the car. He will replace his VII Zeus with this amp and test it on his horns. Then, he will replace his Autotek 333 with this amp and compare it on his midbass. I've already got some of the young guys that heard it tonight begging me to get an order in for the same amp. Very happy with this one guys!!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-14-2007 08:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pooods Click here to Send pooods a Private Message Find more posts by pooods Add pooods to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pooods

I double checked my emails and don't see one.

New Post 02-15-2007 08:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pooods Click here to Send pooods a Private Message Find more posts by pooods Add pooods to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tcdogg

I have the "Minilith" and i love it. I will be going all Zed in my next install. Love the product and the company.Easily one of the top brands in my opinion.

New Post 02-15-2007 11:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tcdogg Click here to Send tcdogg a Private Message Find more posts by tcdogg Add tcdogg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pooods

How many companies have a legendary owner that actually answers the phone when you call. He has talked to me several times over the years and is a wealth of knowledge. He has emailed me 25 times or more over the last few years too. He even answered the phone one day when the office hours were closed! Now that's service!! And I too will be buying more amps from him. So will several that heard it last night too.

New Post 02-15-2007 12:02 PM
newfosgatesucks

Zed

Man, Stephen Mantz is the shit - He never let his fascination with NEAT output devices outweigh his primary function- -to create high quality sound amplifiers. As design/engineer, he's one of the best, and My little series 6 Zeus, thats never been serviced, is proof. Id like to see s.q. and spl comparisons of his amps vs all these new 10,000 watt, 3200 watt and so on amps....

New Post 02-15-2007 12:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pooods

RE: Zed

quote:
Originally posted on 02-15-2007 by newfosgatesucks
Man, Stephen Mantz is the shit - He never let his fascination with NEAT output devices outweigh his primary function- -to create high quality sound amplifiers. As design/engineer, he's one of the best, and My little series 6 Zeus, thats never been serviced, is proof. Id like to see s.q. and spl comparisons of his amps vs all these new 10,000 watt, 3200 watt and so on amps....

Well this amp replaced a 1000 watt Crunch on the simulator. The Crunch sells for $200 at the shop. It was amazing to hear the difference! 2 1000 watt Crunch amps couldn't be louder than one little 400 watt Zed amp. Also, we used a cd with one song that played a 25hz at the same time as a 80hz. New amps have a very hard time playing that song according to my buddy that owns the shop. This Deuce did it with ease while the Crunch got all messed up doing it. Plus the subs didn't heat up hardly any after long bursts on the volume while some of the other cheaper new amps would make them hot. As far as db's go. I doubt we will put the meter on comparisons anytime soon. But so far the ear meter says it's a strong amp.

New Post 02-15-2007 01:55 PM
newfosgatesucks

Yeah, the low distortion numbers on his amps are accurate, unlike most others, and power thru freq range is close to flat as one can want. ZED Rocks Major time in my book, Glad someone else out there agrees.

New Post 02-15-2007 02:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pooods

If the shop gets the dealership, I don't see them selling many. About 10 years back the young guys started buying what looked good and had mega watts written on the case. The shop had a $250 Autotek Mean Machine amp that was rated at 40 watts, and also had a $250 junk amp that had chrome and was rated at 500 watts (yeah right). So, 5 junkers to 1 Autotek sold. My buddy would be amazed when someone would buy that crap over Autotek's top of the line amp. We all saw the writing on the wall. It sure has changed over the years. I don't know how Steve M. makes money making this kind of amp and selling it for the money he does. So, I am going to buy up a few in case he decides to stop doing it. This may be one of the last good amps built. Who knows?

New Post 02-15-2007 02:01 PM
newfosgatesucks

Yeah, it's sad - truck stops sell more boss amps than Audio stores can sell of real amps!! When fosgate first turned on us, Boy they got HUGE QUICK! But I felt betrayed - Hence my screen name. I solemnly swore, after buying a punch 150a2, that never again would I purchase a prod that did less than stated. And I haven't. My punch 45hd outdoes the a2...

New Post 02-15-2007 02:40 PM
yoda06

Send it my way.

I have a question. I understand old school equipment is really nice. I have an old SoundStream Reference500 beside me for proof. But when people sya new stuff is crappy, what are they comparing? I'm not trying to say anything is better or worse, but money well spent on new stuff seems to still get you a wicked amp. They may not be underrated anymore, or hand built, but the clean reliable power is still there, is it not?

I'm just kind of distressed/insecure. I know my amps are solid, and make the power they say, but I look at posts like this, and look at prices on PG Titanium/Tantrum and think "What am I missing?" Realistically, I can't afford such high end equipment, and the Xenon/Octane do more than enough as it is. Just makes me wonder sometimes.

New Post 02-16-2007 01:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pooods

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2007 by yoda06
Send it my way.

I have a question. I understand old school equipment is really nice. I have an old SoundStream Reference500 beside me for proof. But when people sya new stuff is crappy, what are they comparing? I'm not trying to say anything is better or worse, but money well spent on new stuff seems to still get you a wicked amp. They may not be underrated anymore, or hand built, but the clean reliable power is still there, is it not?

I'm just kind of distressed/insecure. I know my amps are solid, and make the power they say, but I look at posts like this, and look at prices on PG Titanium/Tantrum and think "What am I missing?" Realistically, I can't afford such high end equipment, and the Xenon/Octane do more than enough as it is. Just makes me wonder sometimes.

There are a small number of good companies out there. Brax and Tru come to mind but there are a couple more. These people still want to sell quality amps, but I can't afford them. What I liked about old school amps was that they had power, usually rated at a little over 12 volts and at low THD ratings. Now they rate them at 14 to 17 volts in many cases and THD is not an issue like it once was. Class D is easier to power current to, but the sound quality is lacking. Most new amps lack the output current that the old ones had. They have voltage but without a good current supply the voltage is not very helpful. If you grew up listening to the newer overseas stuff, you would probably never realize they don't sound that good. I even don't realize how much sound has changed until I compare side to side. You can build a strong system now with newer equip that is loud, but the sound is not the same to me. Plus, down the road 20 years, will these new amps be playing? Who knows? Hifonics from the mid 80's through the early 90's (they built one more series after the VIII) were built by ZED, Autotek from the late 80's through the white Mean Machines were Zed (not sure about the black amps, I have one too), Rodeks early on were built by ZED, early Lanzars were ZED until about 1991 I think, some ESX (not the Vision for sure) were ZED and US Acoustics along with some Planet Audio were ZED. There may be more, and I am sure I don't know all about the subject. All Zed amps I have opened up have ZED written on the boards. Everyone remember the old Zeus amps? Well an Autotek 7600, Lanzar Brute Force 600, US Acoustics USA2300 and Rodek's 2300I are almost the same performer. Also, Earthquake's PA2300 is very similar in design, but not ZED built.

New Post 02-16-2007 08:44 AM
pooods

Here are some strong old school performers that have fallen from grace: Hifonics, Autotek, Lanzar, PPI, Soundstream, Zapco, Extant, Rodek (gone but not forgotten), Rockford Fosgate, Alphasonik, among others. They are now just mass produced amps with quantity over quality. One large company owns several of them. It's a shame that they stopped their focus on a quality product. Anyone know that Alphasonik ownes many records very early on in this industry. I ran them in the late 80's. Very clean amps.

New Post 02-16-2007 08:51 AM
N2Audio

Lanzar Opti's were built by Zed until 2000/20001, and Lanzar kept enough on hand to sell them through '03.

New Post 02-16-2007 09:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pooods

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2007 by N2Audio
Lanzar Opti's were built by Zed until 2000/20001, and Lanzar kept enough on hand to sell them through '03.

I forgot about the Opti's. Very strong amps, but I didn't know they made them that recently.

New Post 02-16-2007 09:27 AM
newfosgatesucks

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2007 by andymtx
Wanted to jump in here with a question, What years were Autotek amps Zed amps? I know it was the Mean Machine series but I am unsure of the years. I have a NEW IN BOX Autotek MX4500, the big 4 channel amp with balanced inputs, remote level control and it is a Black Chrome color. I saw retail on it was around $1,100.00. My addendum question is: what do you think it is worth now? I would love to use it in my truck but I have too many MTX amps as it is. What are your thoughts here people?

Ebay buy it now auction on it, probably 500 with papers and all. If you just ran a no reserve auction probably get a little less. Check out a guy on ebay - justonemoreamp, he may give you better insight. He seems to get a pretty penny for most of his stuff. Tristanrules is another hi-end old schooler. Autotek was REAL nice, but you know how it goes. Zednufsed is another..Zues407....Flavor121

New Post 02-16-2007 10:08 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting