Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > CarStereo.com Lobby > What would you use to clean an engine bay?
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yoda06

What would you use to clean an engine bay?

With the engine still in? You can't exactly just start spraying water everywhere, as it will find its way into the engine.

How do people go about getting all the grease,grime, and dirt off all the wiring, manifolds, innder fenders, fluid reservoirs? What about dirt and gunk on motormounts, by trannies?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 03-15-2007 08:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newfosgatesucks

I usually spray mean green with a windex sprayer. itll foam up, and dont worry about the water. Just blow everything off wth air afterwards. Enginebrite actually sucks, even the newer one. Dont worry bout the alt, the starter, itll all be cool. I havent screwed up anything by cleaning in all my years.. Ever wonder what auto detailerssecret is? itsthe 5.99 galjug of simp green.

New Post 03-15-2007 10:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yoda06

Air makes sense. I didnt think water would hurt too terribly bad, seeing as it splashes/blows into the engine whenever it rains. But water resistant=!resistant to submerging, the effect of being sprayd directly sometimes.

I think if I get bored, IMa clean and organize my engine bay. Gonna undercoat rusted things, since paint in a daily driver in an engine bay is probably one of the most senseless decisions for cars.

New Post 03-16-2007 12:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for yoda06 Click here to Send yoda06 a Private Message Find more posts by yoda06 Add yoda06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kato14709

I've done this a lot, on my vehicles. Use Gunk foamy engine brite. Spray it on a warm engine, not hot, let it sit a while and spray it off. I use a pressure washer and leave the engine running while doing it. Use some common sense doing it this way, like don't get to close to things that don't need an internal cleaning. Such as the alternator and other electronic devices. It won't hurt them to get wet, but not a direct close up blast. Leave the engine running to help the drying time, then shut it down. For a final touch, mist armorall or what ever brand you like, over the entire engine compartment. Don't get too carried away with the misting, doesn't take that much. Close the hood and come back in a little bit and check it out. It will look like a detail shop did it for you.

New Post 03-16-2007 06:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kato14709 Click here to Send kato14709 a Private Message Find more posts by kato14709 Add kato14709 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newfosgatesucks

We also use hi temperature clear to leave the engine shiny. People always wonder what we did. I guess they think we used a toothbrush and did every little detail...

New Post 03-16-2007 09:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HobbyWerks

Simple Green is the shit. Dont dilute it with water before using it. I heve it here in a gallon jug. I tried it out a few years back and was amazed how well it worked. Used a car wash brush on the realy grimy areas. Worked much better than all that spray on foaming engine crap.

New Post 03-16-2007 12:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HobbyWerks Click here to Send HobbyWerks a Private Message Find more posts by HobbyWerks Add HobbyWerks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kato14709

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-16-2007 by HobbyWerks
Simple Green is the shit. Dont dilute it with water before using it. I heve it here in a gallon jug. I tried it out a few years back and was amazed how well it worked. Used a car wash brush on the realy grimy areas. Worked much better than all that spray on foaming engine crap.

You're not supposed to let them get to the grimy stage, lol. Gunk foamy engine brite is far from crap, I've used it for years and it works great.

New Post 03-16-2007 12:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kato14709 Click here to Send kato14709 a Private Message Find more posts by kato14709 Add kato14709 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newfosgatesucks

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-16-2007 by kato14709
You're not supposed to let them get to the grimy stage, lol. Gunk foamy engine brite is far from crap, I've used it for years and it works great.

I may have been overly abrasive by trashing e.brite, but it compares to simple green like a car battery does to a brand new kinetik...

New Post 03-16-2007 08:51 PM
kato14709

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-16-2007 by newfosgatesucks
I may have been overly abrasive by trashing e.brite, but it compares to simple green like a car battery does to a brand new kinetik...

Don't get me wrong, I luv simple green for a lot of things, but if your engine is not real grimy and you keep up on the cleaning, there is nothing easier than the foamy engine brite. Make sure it's the foamy stuff not the spray on non foamy stuff. No scrubbing, just flush it off. What ever works for ya, you should use. I'm just saying what works for me.

New Post 03-16-2007 09:28 PM
LoudAssGeo

RE: What would you use to clean an engine bay?

quote:
Originally posted on 03-15-2007 by yoda06
With the engine still in? You can't exactly just start spraying water everywhere, as it will find its way into the engine.

How do people go about getting all the grease,grime, and dirt off all the wiring, manifolds, innder fenders, fluid reservoirs? What about dirt and gunk on motormounts, by trannies?

simple green with compressed air

New Post 03-19-2007 11:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
02sentra

Engine Cleaning----------

First ,you want to use professional ,non-caustic automotive detailers heavy-duty white-wall cleaner.Dilute the concentrate 3 to 1. Second, engine bay should be warm,not hot! If possible , use saran wrap and cover any and all electrical parts from becoming wet or flodded. Third ,A water hose,w/spray nozzle,the local 25 cent car wash will suffice.(been cleaning engines for over 25 years(bay-area automotive teamster retired.Own 2 detail shops-specializig in cosmoline removal,engine steam,custom 3-way auto-detail)3-way = shampoo,steam-clean,and buff wax-oxidation removal.Engine-brite will work if thats all you have.The problem from a detailers side is that it leaves a petroleum distillate film and and will not rinse clean ---unless you wash it with simple green afterwards...Always spray the inside of the hood first-RAPIDLY-then the rest of your engine compartment...remember--use a wash mit to wash all the painted surfaces -remember-your cleaner is working it's best when you see the dirt running down the back fire-wall, when you see the dirt run--SPRAY THE HOOD FIRST--then the ENGINE--when you get good at this,your water time should be no more than 3 MINUTES MAX.---IMMEDIATELY START YOUR ENGINE---and let it run for 15 min. or so while you wash the rest of your vehicle.Open your hood--spray all rubber components with Tire-Dressing--Black-Majic FOAM--Armoral Tire foam ,ect.,let dry several hours.It's ok to run your engine and wipe off the excess the next day. FORUM ,any other questions about auto-re-conditioning,feel free to ask.Hope this helps.I'm older now and and only do specialty requests.Black and dark red cars are my specialty.I have some customers since 1980................02 SENTRA out............

New Post 03-19-2007 04:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 02sentra Click here to Send 02sentra a Private Message Find more posts by 02sentra Add 02sentra to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE: Engine Cleaning----------

quote:
Originally posted on 03-19-2007 by 02sentra
First ,you want to use professional ,non-caustic automotive detailers heavy-duty white-wall cleaner.Dilute the concentrate 3 to 1. Second, engine bay should be warm,not hot! If possible , use saran wrap and cover any and all electrical parts from becoming wet or flodded. Third ,A water hose,w/spray nozzle,the local 25 cent car wash will suffice.(been cleaning engines for over 25 years(bay-area automotive teamster retired.Own 2 detail shops-specializig in cosmoline removal,engine steam,custom 3-way auto-detail)3-way = shampoo,steam-clean,and buff wax-oxidation removal.Engine-brite will work if thats all you have.The problem from a detailers side is that it leaves a petroleum distillate film and and will not rinse clean ---unless you wash it with simple green afterwards...Always spray the inside of the hood first-RAPIDLY-then the rest of your engine compartment...remember--use a wash mit to wash all the painted surfaces -remember-your cleaner is working it's best when you see the dirt running down the back fire-wall, when you see the dirt run--SPRAY THE HOOD FIRST--then the ENGINE--when you get good at this,your water time should be no more than 3 MINUTES MAX.---IMMEDIATELY START YOUR ENGINE---and let it run for 15 min. or so while you wash the rest of your vehicle.Open your hood--spray all rubber components with Tire-Dressing--Black-Majic FOAM--Armoral Tire foam ,ect.,let dry several hours.It's ok to run your engine and wipe off the excess the next day. FORUM ,any other questions about auto-re-conditioning,feel free to ask.Hope this helps.I'm older now and and only do specialty requests.Black and dark red cars are my specialty.I have some customers since 1980................02 SENTRA out............

detailed

New Post 03-20-2007 06:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LoudAssGeo Click here to Send LoudAssGeo a Private Message Find more posts by LoudAssGeo Add LoudAssGeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
02sentra

Engine Cleaning----------

To MR.LOUD ASS GEO---Thanks ,yes ,that would be detailed.May I add,What a wonderful little one you have there!!What big eyes and smile!!It's always good to see a proud Papa.I am a Grandpa twice,one boy and one girl,they will be 8 years old in April,and in May of this year.Thanks again!O2 Sentra out...........

New Post 03-20-2007 03:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 02sentra Click here to Send 02sentra a Private Message Find more posts by 02sentra Add 02sentra to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoudAssGeo

RE: Engine Cleaning----------

quote:
Originally posted on 03-20-2007 by 02sentra
To MR.LOUD ASS GEO---Thanks ,yes ,that would be detailed.May I add,What a wonderful little one you have there!!What big eyes and smile!!It's always good to see a proud Papa.I am a Grandpa twice,one boy and one girl,they will be 8 years old in April,and in May of this year.Thanks again!O2 Sentra out...........

oh gotta love the lil headache. wouldnt trade her for anything, well maybe for a custom chopper. lol naw couldnt give her up for anything.

New Post 03-21-2007 06:33 AM
99oldsintrigue

take it to a car sales place and have them steam wash it, looks great, i have mine done a lot.

New Post 03-30-2007 11:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 99oldsintrigue Click here to Send 99oldsintrigue a Private Message Find more posts by 99oldsintrigue Add 99oldsintrigue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting