Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Hifonics Brutus BX1000D or RF 550S for 2 12" Kicker CVRs
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jivkom

Hifonics Brutus BX1000D or RF 550S for 2 12" Kicker CVRs

Hello everyone. I am still trying to figure out the best amp for my subs. Right now I have a RF 550S powering them and my rearview mirror literaly cracked. It's extremely loud, especially when you see that they are powered by an amp that is about 12 inches long, rated at 550 watts. As most of you, I am always looking for more when it comes to bass, without wanting to sacrifice sq. Would the Hifonics BX1000D be a better choice than the Rockford Fosgate 550S when it comes to power (it's 1000 watts in 1 Ohm so duh) but would it last long if I have it in one ohm? I have my subs wired so they come out to a total of 2 ohm each so I can either connect them in 4 ohm or 1 ohm. The RF I have in 4 ohm bridged. If I get the Hifonics, I am definetely going to use it in 1 Ohm so I need to know if it will last and if it will give me the same sound quality. For those of you who don't know the specs of the Kicker CVRs, they are 800 watts max/400 watts RMS. By the way, I have both subs in a sealed kicker boxes. I will be getting a ported box soon, but for now I think I am ok with what I have. Any advices or opinions are more than welcome. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-16-2004 12:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jivkom Click here to Send jivkom a Private Message Find more posts by jivkom Add jivkom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

I think SPL would increase, but not by much. The 'Fonics should be fine at 1 ohm.
If you get arount to porting the enclosure I think the SPL difference between the 2 amps may spread a little, but you might also be pushing the mechanical limits of the sub using the 1000 watt Hifonics amp vs. the 650 (give or take) RF.

New Post 02-16-2004 05:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fathom

the hifonics brutus' are very good amps and obviously it will just about double the wattage of the fosgate. they are definitely stable running @ 1 ohm. as for clean power u win too since u will be able to have the gain relatively low on the amp due to the extra power. go for . oh by the way im running a mtx 1501d (1200rms) on 2 12's cvr in a vented box and they do great, u will be fine with the 1000 especially in sealed, from experience u should be fine ported as well

New Post 02-16-2004 05:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fathom Click here to Send fathom a Private Message Find more posts by fathom Add fathom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jivkom

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-16-2004 by fathom
the hifonics brutus' are very good amps and obviously it will just about double the wattage of the fosgate. they are definitely stable running @ 1 ohm. as for clean power u win too since u will be able to have the gain relatively low on the amp due to the extra power. go for . oh by the way im running a mtx 1501d (1200rms) on 2 12's cvr in a vented box and they do great, u will be fine with the 1000 especially in sealed, from experience u should be fine ported as well

Does it really matter what kind of ported box they are in, since I see so many kinds being sold around. Some have round ports, some have the two rectangular ports in the middle of the box, and some have one big port on the bottom of the box. Ebay has some very cheap boxes (55 with shipping) but I don't know if they are good. Is there a big difference between these boxes or a ported box is a ported box period? Is there any tuning of frequnecies to be considered with those?

New Post 02-16-2004 05:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jivkom Click here to Send jivkom a Private Message Find more posts by jivkom Add jivkom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huddy05

doubt it really matters what kind of ported box you go with. i am running a brutus the 1500d at 1ohm to 2 L7's it pounds the crap out of them in a vented box (rectangular ports) the sound quality is around a 4 out of 10 and vented enclosures are sopposed to have a little more sound quality than regular round ports.

New Post 02-17-2004 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Huddy05 Click here to Send Huddy05 a Private Message Find more posts by Huddy05 Add Huddy05 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting