Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Video & Multimedia > JVC KW-AVX800 USB questions
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ToneMoo

JVC KW-AVX800 USB questions

Hello all! I just bought a JVC KW-AVX800 and will install it in my car within the next week. This unit has a rear USB port, which I think is pretty cool, but I have questions about it. One of the reviewers on Crutchfield claims he connected a portable 160GB hard drive. This is where I need assistance. All the portable/external hard drives I've seen all have system requirements of Windows XP, 2000, etc., which this unit obviously doesn't have. Are the system requirements only for the CPU used to add the files, or are they for anything accessing it, as well?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-13-2007 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToneMoo Click here to Send ToneMoo a Private Message Find more posts by ToneMoo Add ToneMoo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheSunDanceKid

the system requirment is for the computer you are going to be using to put the files on it so just plug it into your computer put the music or what ever on to the hard drive then plug it into the deck the actual external doesnt need windows on it its just the comp your using to put the files on it

New Post 08-27-2007 06:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TheSunDanceKid Click here to Send TheSunDanceKid a Private Message Find more posts by TheSunDanceKid Add TheSunDanceKid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
millertime4060

i just bought the same unit-- jvc kw-avx800. still waiting for it to get here.. i also bought a ROSEN CS150LCD 15.4" TFT-LCD Overhead Flip-down Monitor for in the rear for the kid to watch. do any of you know how to hook up the bypass so the video will run for the kid in the rear ?

New Post 09-01-2007 09:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for millertime4060 Click here to Send millertime4060 a Private Message Find more posts by millertime4060 Add millertime4060 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TranceD

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-27-2007 by TheSunDanceKid
the system requirment is for the computer you are going to be using to put the files on it so just plug it into your computer put the music or what ever on to the hard drive then plug it into the deck the actual external doesnt need windows on it its just the comp your using to put the files on it

Actually thats not true at all, you can not use a hard drive with the USB feature, you can use an MP3 player or a flash drive, but not a straight HDD or portable HDD. So you are wrong there. We just got done putting one into our Project Talon, and the instruction manual states "USB can not be used or files transfeered by plugging into your PC" it then lists what kinds of products you can use with it. Hard drive isn't one of them, besides, we tried it ourselves, sorry to school you. TranceD

New Post 09-11-2007 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceD Click here to Send TranceD a Private Message Find more posts by TranceD Add TranceD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TranceD

RE: JVC KW-AVX800 USB questions

quote:
Originally posted on 07-13-2007 by ToneMoo
Hello all! I just bought a JVC KW-AVX800 and will install it in my car within the next week. This unit has a rear USB port, which I think is pretty cool, but I have questions about it. One of the reviewers on Crutchfield claims he connected a portable 160GB hard drive. This is where I need assistance. All the portable/external hard drives I've seen all have system requirements of Windows XP, 2000, etc., which this unit obviously doesn't have. Are the system requirements only for the CPU used to add the files, or are they for anything accessing it, as well?

Great deck, but as you can see in my response to the other guy, no you can not use a HDD or portable HDD with the USB cable coming from the back. It is not made to nor intended to work with one, and has massive compatability issues. You can however use a USB jumb/flash drive, maybe that's what he was talking about and got confused. stationary HDD's require power from the power supply in a PC (think about it), and external does too, check what voltage type and amount they require to run. You can pretty much deduce that he's either mistaken about the type of drive or pretty much just full of shit altogether. You'll see the beginning shots of the new equipment and sound proofing install in the coming days. There is also no way to add your own screen saver or background to the unit, other than viewing it from SD or flash drive, trust me we spent 7 hours looking for ways to possibly do it and found nothing. Oh and don't waste your time with Panasonic's old screen savers they don't work either. TranceD

New Post 09-11-2007 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceD Click here to Send TranceD a Private Message Find more posts by TranceD Add TranceD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cyberdog

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-11-2007 by TranceD
Actually thats not true at all, you can not use a hard drive with the USB feature, you can use an MP3 player or a flash drive, but not a straight HDD or portable HDD. So you are wrong there. We just got done putting one into our Project Talon, and the instruction manual states "USB can not be used or files transfeered by plugging into your PC" it then lists what kinds of products you can use with it. Hard drive isn't one of them, besides, we tried it ourselves, sorry to school you. TranceD

Yes you can. I have the unit installed and have a Lacie 80 gb hard drive plugged into it and it works just fine. I have <a href=http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10718>this Lacie hard drive</a>.

New Post 02-01-2008 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cyberdog Click here to Send cyberdog a Private Message Find more posts by cyberdog Add cyberdog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cyberdog

quote:

Yes you can. I have the unit installed and have a Lacie 80 gb hard drive plugged into it and it works just fine. I have <a href=http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10718>this Lacie hard drive</a>.

New Post 02-01-2008 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cyberdog Click here to Send cyberdog a Private Message Find more posts by cyberdog Add cyberdog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cyberdog

quote:

Yes you can. I have the unit installed and have a Lacie 80 gb hard drive plugged into it and it works just fine. I have this Lacie hard drive.

New Post 02-01-2008 05:09 PM
cyberdog

New Post 02-01-2008 05:09 PM
spookyload

I registered to answer this question  in regards to a hard drive functioning.  They will work.  I am running a 120gig external.  I have also tried a 250gig external.  The key is the format of the drive.  It will not recognize a drive formatted in NTFS.  It only sees FAT32 drives.  Windows XP and Vista use the NTFS format.  So when you are going to format the drive it will do it in a format not recognized.  If the drive is formatted to FAT32 it will work no matter the brand or size.  The only caviat to this is older laptop drives (older than 2003) draw a lot of power and the USB port might not have enough power to get it to run. 

Since Vista doesn't like FAT32, it won't format a drive bigger than 32gig.  To get it to do this is quite simple.  Plug your drive in and see what letter the computer assigns it.  Go to the RUN command and input this:

format [drive letter]: /FS:FAT32

It will give you the standard warning about formatting...blah blah blah.  type "y" for yes and hit return.  It will now format your entire drive no matter the size in FAT32.  This will take while to format BTW as it seems painfully slow.

New Post 02-25-2008 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for spookyload Click here to Send spookyload a Private Message Find more posts by spookyload Add spookyload to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ToneMoo

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-25-2008 by spookyload

I registered to answer this question  in regards to a hard drive functioning.  They will work.  I am running a 120gig external.  I have also tried a 250gig external.  The key is the format of the drive.  It will not recognize a drive formatted in NTFS.  It only sees FAT32 drives.  Windows XP and Vista use the NTFS format.  So when you are going to format the drive it will do it in a format not recognized.  If the drive is formatted to FAT32 it will work no matter the brand or size.  The only caviat to this is older laptop drives (older than 2003) draw a lot of power and the USB port might not have enough power to get it to run. 

Since Vista doesn't like FAT32, it won't format a drive bigger than 32gig.  To get it to do this is quite simple.  Plug your drive in and see what letter the computer assigns it.  Go to the RUN command and input this:

format [drive letter]: /FS:FAT32

It will give you the standard warning about formatting...blah blah blah.  type "y" for yes and hit return.  It will now format your entire drive no matter the size in FAT32.  This will take while to format BTW as it seems painfully slow.

I bought a 10GB HDD drive and formatted it in FAT32. I installed a couple files to see if it would work, but the system wouldn't even recognize the drive. What might I be doing wrong? My OS is XP SP2 and the files are in WMA format. Help!

New Post 03-21-2008 11:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ToneMoo Click here to Send ToneMoo a Private Message Find more posts by ToneMoo Add ToneMoo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
themarques

Hope this helps, Quoting what the guy he made the video says "I think there will be no problem with more than 160Gb. The problem is the file number! If you put only 20 Gb of Mp3's it won't work 'cause the number of the files is too big (5000+). It shows an error message. If you put 120 Gb of divx movies there's no problem because are only 200 files or so..." My understanding is its the folder structure that might be the cause, you might want to check out the JVC website or manual on how the folder structure should be setup for MP3's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBVhLqJiBqo

New Post 12-22-2008 02:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for themarques Click here to Send themarques a Private Message Find more posts by themarques Add themarques to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting