Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > breakin' it down old skool! (with fosgate)
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mtx7500

breakin' it down old skool! (with fosgate)

being i'm only 18, i wasn't priveledged to grow up in the era of the "good" fosgate amps, so i'm wanting to do an old skool install so i can experience what i've missed. only problem with this is i'm not quite sure where to start. i've been looking at the original punch amps, the punch HD series, the punch DSM series, the punch ix series, and the trans ana's. i would like to know y'alls opinions on these amps (like which ones were better) 

in this install, i'm using the first series fanatic Q's for speakers, and two 12 inch power hx2's for the subs.

i want to use two 2-channel amps for the components and if one of the amps above could power the subs, then i'll do that, but if not then i'll use two amps for the subs.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-03-2007 08:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtx7500 Click here to Send mtx7500 a Private Message Find more posts by mtx7500 Add mtx7500 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeteS

Being 18 you missed the GOOD Rockford day's. I'm 26 and cought the tail end of the high power amp's.

For a old school rockford setup, look for something pre 96. The one's you want will be all black(No silver) they will have fin's on amp body and end cap's. The amp's will have red writting. ALSO the amp's WON'T have a crossover switch(per say)....they have a small card on the bottom side of amp, you install diffrent way's for diffrent freq's.

The best part about those old school amp's is they had LINK's. All the amp's were the same height and width. The link make all you amp's....usaly 3, look like 1 MASSIVE amp and no wire could be seen.----- VERY COOL.----

New Post 12-03-2007 11:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PeteS Click here to Send PeteS a Private Message Find more posts by PeteS Add PeteS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtx7500

yep, those are the amps i was looking at. right now i'm eying a punch 200 dsm. anyway, thanks man.

New Post 12-04-2007 07:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mtx7500 Click here to Send mtx7500 a Private Message Find more posts by mtx7500 Add mtx7500 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hispls

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-04-2007 by mtx7500

yep, those are the amps i was looking at. right now i'm eying a punch 200 dsm. anyway, thanks man.

Those and earlier are awesome.

I was fortunate enough to own a few from the original Punch to those dsms and they were all killer.  The only ones to avoid from that era are the series 1....those are unstable, unreliable, and the terminals have a bad habit of snapping off the board.

The old punch speakers (the ones that say MADE IN USA) on them are all pretty nice too.

New Post 12-04-2007 01:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hispls Click here to Send hispls a Private Message Find more posts by hispls Add hispls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeteS

Watch out for the OLD school punch amp's....they don't have power and ground termanils.....they HARD wire, right off the amp. The issue thet the wire breaks inside the insulation or the wire is cut so short that you can't splice.

New Post 12-04-2007 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PeteS Click here to Send PeteS a Private Message Find more posts by PeteS Add PeteS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hispls

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 12-04-2007 by PeteS

Watch out for the OLD school punch amp's....they don't have power and ground termanils.....they HARD wire, right off the amp. The issue thet the wire breaks inside the insulation or the wire is cut so short that you can't splice.

Yeah, I bet those fail after 25 years....   I'd just solder a replacement straight to the board.

New Post 12-04-2007 11:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hispls Click here to Send hispls a Private Message Find more posts by hispls Add hispls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2rgrbn

If  you want old school 80's Era go Orion or PPI the fosgates were strong but they all had one problem or another either they overheated or something. If you go early 90's old school your choices are extinsive Fosgate has had many good products but never the best in my opinion 90's Xtant, Pheonix Gold and others kicked ass, 80's PPI and Orion HCCA were killer.

New Post 12-05-2007 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 2rgrbn Click here to Send 2rgrbn a Private Message Find more posts by 2rgrbn Add 2rgrbn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtx7500

so if i found a g1 hcca225 for cheap, should i jump on it? what is the true wrms of that amp anyway?

New Post 12-05-2007 06:41 PM
2rgrbn

Output Power at 12.5V:
2 x 25W @ 4 ohms
2 x 50W @ 2 ohms
2 x 100W @ 1 ohm
2 x 200W @ ½ ohm
1 x 100W @ 4 ohms bridged
1 x 200W @ 2 ohms bridged
1 x 400W @ 1 ohm bridged
THD: 0.03%
S/N Ratio: 110dB
Fuse: External 35A
Freq. Response: 6Hz ∼ 20kHz (±0.5dB)
Dimensions: 11" x 8.5" x 2.25" (28cm x 21.6cm x 5.7cm)

New Post 12-05-2007 07:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 2rgrbn Click here to Send 2rgrbn a Private Message Find more posts by 2rgrbn Add 2rgrbn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mtx7500

that's not the true watts is it? i thought that was the factory rated watts...

New Post 12-05-2007 08:48 PM
2rgrbn

Factory ratings are true watts many amps are A weighted or somewhat decieving in what they publish. In respect to the 225 for competition it could be classified as a 50 Watt amplifier which helps in Class ratings. The actual numbers would increase in a 14Volt system. You'll notice that it has an exceptional distortion rating but it does not say at what impedence I suspect that rating is at 4 Ohms and is not near that good at .5 Ohms. A 225 is a good amp but it is not a big amp. Orion (Old School) has done a lot of research and development using low impedences their concept amps made power at nearly a dead short. The older stuff just like the new has it's own strengths and weakness Have you looked at old school Carver, Harmon Kardon, Zapco, Xtant, Phoenix Gold, US Amps or PPI Power Class

New Post 12-05-2007 09:26 PM
mtx7500

say i'm wanting to push two 1200wrms subs off one old school amp (orion, fosgate, or ppi) which company would you go with and which model of their amps would you use?

New Post 12-05-2007 09:28 PM
mtx7500

i've checked out some of the companies you listed, such as  us amps, zapco, and some of the ppi art series amps, but i'm new to the underrated goodness from back in the day. i'm more knowlegdable about new amps, so trying to find the right old school amp is starting to prove to be a challenge...

New Post 12-05-2007 09:34 PM
mtx7500

i've checked out some of the companies you listed, such as  us amps, zapco, and some of the ppi art series amps, but i'm new to the underrated goodness from back in the day. i'm more knowlegdable about new amps, so trying to find the right old school amp is starting to prove to be a challenge...

mtx7500

Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting