Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > I'm lost, what kind of amp?
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BroomQueen

I'm lost, what kind of amp?

Can someone that KNOWS about this sorta thign (not guessing) let me know what the best kind of amp would be? Like watts and channels, all that? PLEASE? I was thinking about 1000 watts but I'm not sure 'cuz the RMS on each 1000 watts is diff. I wanna get the max bass out of these! The txt below is from the retailer I baught the subs from, thanks! Oh yeah, I have a Dual 50wX4 head unit, here's the link to best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8209388&type=product&id=1166236115381

This is a brand new pair of, factory sealed, never been opened MA Audio, model # MA101xq, dual voice coil 10 inch subwoofers. These subs will handle 1000 watts for the pair or 500 watts each. They each have a 4 ohm dual voice coil so you can wire them so that your amp will read a 1 ohm load for a pair. This will enable your amp to produce maximum power. (Warning  make sure your amp can handle these subs before wiring them like this) You can also wire them to achieve a 4 ohm load. And equipped with a 50 oz. magnet and 500 watts power handling theyll handle almost any amp out there. They also come with a vented magnet structure to allow the subwoofer more excursion without bottoming out.

1 Pair of MA Audio MA101xq High Performance Subwoofers
Power Handling Capabilities
500 Watts RMS Minimum to 1,000 Watts Per Pair
250 Watts RMS Minimum to 500 Watts Each
Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coil
50 Oz. Magnet
Mounting Depth: 5.6
Mounting Diameter: 9.2
Optimum Vented Box: 1.75 Cu/Ft
Round Port Diameter: 4 X 9
Square Port Area: 2.5 X 6 X 11.5
Optimum Sealed Box: 1 Cu/Ft
Tuning @ 40Hz

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-31-2008 06:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BroomQueen Click here to Send BroomQueen a Private Message Find more posts by BroomQueen Add BroomQueen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianG

what is your budget?

New Post 01-31-2008 08:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brianG Click here to Send brianG a Private Message Find more posts by brianG Add brianG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BroomQueen

somewhere less than $150 (even less would be great haha), i know that's not alot but i'm really good at finding good stuff online cheap ;) ... i'd actually just like to know maybe 2 or 3 specs i should look for in an amp, i don't want anyone tellng me "get a this kinda amp this model" just some specs to look for so i can shop around myself

New Post 01-31-2008 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BroomQueen Click here to Send BroomQueen a Private Message Find more posts by BroomQueen Add BroomQueen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianG

ok,when shopping for an amp a few things to look for is amp fuse size.the fuse size relates to the true power,some companies use trumped-up power numbers,but the fuse dont lie(example..1000 watt amp with a 25 amp fuse will never come close to this wattage)another thing to look for is rms continous power,not rms or peak power although sometimes rms is all thats stated,if its CEA compliant it'll do the rated power. also consider what you will be using the amp for(bass,fullrange,ect..)make sure the amp is stable at the ohms you'll be running at (make sure to know your spkr wiring configuration)finally, does the company stand behind it's product & how long has this company been around?learn the differnt type(classes of amps) do a little research.  good luck

New Post 01-31-2008 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brianG Click here to Send brianG a Private Message Find more posts by brianG Add brianG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

in that price range I'd say a 2 ch bridged with the subs wired for 4 ohms would be the best bet.  There are a few options if you want something new - Power Acoustik, Profile, SPL, Kole - all OK amps, not bad for the cost.

If used is an option you can find some real nice amps on ebay pretty cheap

Refurbished Rockford Fosgate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-500W-P5002-Car-Amplifier-2ch-Amp_W0QQitemZ320211989370QQihZ011QQcategoryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A real nice Pioneer Premier

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-Premier-PIONEER-PRS-D2000T-1200W-2-CHANNEL-AMP_W0QQitemZ110218447898QQihZ001QQcategoryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This would definitely get it done, Planet audio:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-2-CHANNEL-800-WATT-MOSFET-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ200196001770QQihZ010QQcategoryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A Profile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROFILE-AP1200-1200W-2CH-Bridgeable-AMPLIFIER-NEW_W0QQitemZ270207322036QQihZ017QQcategoryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New Post 01-31-2008 11:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hispls

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-31-2008 by BroomQueen

somewhere less than $150 (even less would be great haha), i know that's not alot but i'm really good at finding good stuff online cheap ;) ... i'd actually just like to know maybe 2 or 3 specs i should look for in an amp, i don't want anyone tellng me "get a this kinda amp this model" just some specs to look for so i can shop around myself

So many budget manufacturers flat out lie about "specs". Ideally, you'd want an amp that would do 1000W RMS at 12V input voltage, but if you don't take some suggestions from the people who've seen and tested them in person, you may get taken by dishonest marketing.

Also, published specs won't really indicate how reliable an amp is. If a 120$ amp will really give you 1000W but blows up after a few months, you may as well have had a 200W amp that's still working!

Much of it is a learning curve, but you can avoid blowing good money on junk by at least asking here how honestly rated and reliable something is before shelling out any green.

New Post 02-01-2008 03:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hispls Click here to Send hispls a Private Message Find more posts by hispls Add hispls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BroomQueen

thanks, I'm gnna check out a few (i already have a few in mind) and then put links here, maybe you guys could check 'em out and tell me what you think? that would be great if you could. thanks again... i won't be back until sunday though, i work 16 hour shifts fridays and saturdays! :(

New Post 02-01-2008 07:55 AM
N2Audio

"Ideally, you'd want an amp that would do 1000W RMS at 12V input voltage"

Those subs are 250 each, only 500 rms per pair.

New Post 02-01-2008 09:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianG

[("Ideally, you'd want an amp that would do 1000W RMS at 12V input voltage") (Those subs are 250 each, only 500 rms per pair )]        yes, this would be a good combo.an amp rated at 1000w rms will only put out about 1/2 that output in music.when amps are tested(rated) there using a tone generator(sine-wave)and a stable voltage,not a musical signal which is significally different

New Post 02-02-2008 12:05 AM
hispls

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-02-2008 by brianG
  [("Ideally, you'd want an amp that would do 1000W RMS at 12V input voltage") (Those subs are 250 each, only 500 rms per pair )]        yes, this would be a good combo.an amp rated at 1000w rms will only put out about 1/2 that output in music.when amps are tested(rated) there using a tone generator(sine-wave)and a stable voltage,not a musical signal which is significally different

OK,  let me back up.  I was  talking hypothetically that the manufacturers all around were honest.   I did include the caveat that most of those ratings are meaningless since so many companies exagerate or lie.

New Post 02-02-2008 10:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hispls Click here to Send hispls a Private Message Find more posts by hispls Add hispls to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-02-2008 by brianG

rolleyes.gif image by Liquid_force

The guy's on a budget, he has a pair of mediocre subs rated for 500w rms total, there's no reason to go looking for a 1000w amp for them.

New Post 02-02-2008 10:53 PM
BroomQueen

Ok, 1st off, I'm a girl hence the name BroomQueen, not that it matters haha. anyways, thanks for writing back. I was wondering why 4 channels? There's only 2 speakers, although I do wanna get better door speakers that can handle more than my 50watt x 4 head unit.. Oh yeah, in the specs of the speakers it said somethng about it could be 4 or 2 ohm, obviously I'd want it at 2 (that's more bass right?) Anyawys, here's a few amps I found that I thought (hopefully I'm understanding better) might be decent with my subs..   www.overstock.com/Electronics/Sony-XPLOD-2-channel-1000-watt-Car-Audio-Amplifier/2885599/product.html   If i'm readin it right, isn't the rms power on this amp decent for my speakers?  What about www.overstock.com/Electronics/Metrik-1300-watt-2-channel-Mobile-Amplifier/2063884/product.html althought the rms for this is less for my speakers if i got my speakers to go 2 ohms instead of 4 this is the 1st amp that actually said the voltage.   This one says 700 watts dynamic power at 2 bridge, is dynamic the same as rms? http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Metrik-1400-watt-4-channel-Mobile-Amplifier/2063883/product.html   It'd be great if you guys could check these 3 out, maybe tell me what's good what's bad about 'em then I'd get a better idea of what im lookin for. Thanks again!!

New Post 02-03-2008 08:03 AM
N2Audio

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-03-2008 by BroomQueen

Ok, 1st off, I'm a girl hence the name BroomQueen, not that it matters haha. anyways, thanks for writing back. I was wondering why 4 channels? There's only 2 speakers, although I do wanna get better door speakers that can handle more than my 50watt x 4 head unit.. Oh yeah, in the specs of the speakers it said somethng about it could be 4 or 2 ohm, obviously I'd want it at 2 (that's more bass right?) Anyawys, here's a few amps I found that I thought (hopefully I'm understanding better) might be decent with my subs..   www.overstock.com/Electronics/Sony-XPLOD-2-channel-1000-watt-Car-Audio-Amplifier/2885599/product.html   If i'm readin it right, isn't the rms power on this amp decent for my speakers?  What about www.overstock.com/Electronics/Metrik-1300-watt-2-channel-Mobile-Amplifier/2063884/product.html althought the rms for this is less for my speakers if i got my speakers to go 2 ohms instead of 4 this is the 1st amp that actually said the voltage.   This one says 700 watts dynamic power at 2 bridge, is dynamic the same as rms? http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Metrik-1400-watt-4-channel-Mobile-Amplifier/2063883/product.html   It'd be great if you guys could check these 3 out, maybe tell me what's good what's bad about 'em then I'd get a better idea of what im lookin for. Thanks again!!

My bad, 99% of the forum is guys, it's just a habit.

4 ohms/2 ohms/1 ohm - really don't mean much on their own.  The point is you want to know you can wire your speakers to get the power you want out of the amp.

A pair of dvc 4's can be wired together for a total impedance of 4 ohms which is why I suggested an amp that will give you around 500w at 4 ohms RMS.

RMS is NOT the same as Dynamic -- Dynamic is the same as Peak and Max, none of those terms mean much of anything.

The sony you linked is not a 1000w amp - the specs on that amp are all pretty foggy, but there are a few sites that specify it as being 165w x 2 at 4 ohms, and 200 x 2 at 2 ohms which translates to 400x1 bridged at 4 ohms.  Those numbers seem about right.

I have no idea about the "Metrik" brand, but from what I can tell the first one is 600w rms.  If it's even close to its ratings it should work ok.

The 2nd one claims to be 190x4 at 4 ohms and 280x4 at 2 ohms, making it capable of 560w x 2 bridged.  First of all, that sounds EXTREMELY optimistic for a $130 amp (which makes me doubt the numbers on the other amp as well).  However, since you have dvc 4's the impedances don't match up that well which is why I suggested a 2 ch amp.  Yyou'd only be able to get the 190w per channel power out of it by wiring your subs at 8 ohms and bridging each channel.  The result would be 380w per sub RATED power, which, again, looks like it might actually be quite a bit less than that.

All things considered - I would be a lot more comfortable with any of the amps I linked above over these overstock amps, but the sony and the first Metrik would work ok.

New Post 02-03-2008 12:34 PM
brianG

i'm sure everyone will agree that these 3 are'nt good amp chocies. to power your subs you will need a decent mono or 2 channel amp. earlier when i mentioned not to use max power ratings, this applies to dynamic & peak ratings as they are useless.the amps n2audio mentioned are good amps, they are along the lines of what to look for .although it's your budget not your subs that restrict the use of a true 1000 watt rms amp.

New Post 02-03-2008 01:04 PM
BroomQueen

well unfortunately all the bidding for those items is over since i had to work all weekend, so to break it down i need about 1000w 2ch amp that can push about 400-500 rms at 4 ohms right? so what's the diff between 2 and 4 ohms?  gonna check out some on ebay today and see what i come up with

New Post 02-03-2008 03:11 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting