Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Other Mobile Electronics > changing instruments/dials
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
alan442

changing instruments/dials

Hi there, I have a 2004 vaux corsa c, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on this idea of mines.

This idea has been in my mind a long me now, and I ran it past my installer this morning to see what he thought...

Its theoretically perfectly possible, although a few things have to be taken into consideration, some of which we probably havent thought of yet, and all of which I have no clue about...

I wanted to remove and smooth away where the standard instruments are, behind the steering wheel. These would be replaced, in the centre console, by something really cool and retro...

Originally I had thought of the instruments out of the new mini cooper S, but apparently this idea isnt going to be possible because in mini's the signal is received electronically by the instruments, from the ECU, whereas the corsas are analog, or basically works by a cable, as far as I understand. And the only the way this could be overcome was by getting some probably insanely expensive box that would sort all this out for me, which probably doesnt exist anyway...

Sooooooo... we moved onto plan B, being clocks from an old mini, which are still cool and retro... But my installer reckoned these were a mixture of both electrical and analog workings, which may again not work.

Sooooo.. plan C, was to go REALLY old school, and use clocks from something like a triumph spitfire, which will definitely be all mechanical workings, but might not work because of the connections at the back of the instruments.

Also, the length of the speedo cable has to be taken into consideration, as it will have to be longer to reach the centre console.

Not going to be easy, but was just wondering if anyone could help shed some more light, or give any information that might make it easier...

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-20-2008 02:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for alan442 Click here to Send alan442 a Private Message Find more posts by alan442 Add alan442 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting