Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > UltraLinear 1200 Watt MONO Block Amplifier question!!
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MattSWE

UltraLinear 1200 Watt MONO Block Amplifier question!!

why is this amp so cheap for a 1200watt amp? Is the quality bad or something? I have 2 Alpine 12" E's and might get 1 more.I was wondering if this amp would work. All suggestions welcome

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-12-2003 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MattSWE Click here to Send MattSWE a Private Message Find more posts by MattSWE Add MattSWE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gankojiji

The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. If you are looking at a 1200 watt amp for only a couple hundred dollars, it makes you wonder. I like to look at it this way...You buy this amp for $200, the store you bought it for probably $100-$150. The distributor they bought it from probably bought it for $75-$100. The manufacturer, of course, isn't going to sell at a loss, so you are probably looking at a manufacturing cost of around $50-$75. For a 1200 watt amp. Makes you wonder if it sounds good at all, or overheats, or if it puts out any real power. Then you take an amp like US Amps, where you are paying roughly $1.00-$1.50 per watt, and break it down. Manufacturing cost doesn't lie. Nice stuff costs money at any level. Unfortunately for those of us on a budget, it means sacrificing a little. I choose to live in a refridgerator box in the mountains to afford my bad habits. That's because I am dedicated.

New Post 02-13-2003 02:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gankojiji Click here to Send Gankojiji a Private Message Find more posts by Gankojiji Add Gankojiji to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
civic9517

I myself owned the ultra linear ul600hc. claims 1200rmsx2@.5 ohms. and 1000rmsx1@1 ohm. I have a conection and bought it for 200 shipped to my front door. It was well worth the money. I was in the same playing field as my friend who has a kicker zr1000 and 2 orion 15's. I had 12's. Probly was the best money I have every spent. the amp came with 6 40 amp fuses to running 1400rms wasn't a fantacy. Could it do it... probly.. but I didnt know for sure. And basing an amp on price is like pricing a car on color. There are way to many factors. Look at the mtx 81000d for example. Retails at like 700 right? Circuit city buys them for 118 a piece. If I offered you the amp for 180 would you call it crap becuase it's not followed by 3 zero's in price? also if you want a 600hc, let me know...

New Post 02-13-2003 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for civic9517 Click here to Send civic9517 a Private Message Find more posts by civic9517 Add civic9517 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vaperz

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-13-2003 by Gankojiji
The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here. If you are looking at a 1200 watt amp for only a couple hundred dollars, it makes you wonder. I like to look at it this way...You buy this amp for $200, the store you bought it for probably $100-$150. The distributor they bought it from probably bought it for $75-$100. The manufacturer, of course, isn't going to sell at a loss, so you are probably looking at a manufacturing cost of around $50-$75. For a 1200 watt amp. Makes you wonder if it sounds good at all, or overheats, or if it puts out any real power. Then you take an amp like US Amps, where you are paying roughly $1.00-$1.50 per watt, and break it down. Manufacturing cost doesn't lie. Nice stuff costs money at any level. Unfortunately for those of us on a budget, it means sacrificing a little. I choose to live in a refridgerator box in the mountains to afford my bad habits. That's because I am dedicated.

You guys are right about these amps(you get what you pay for)...Also just thinking about these amps...I want to help yeh out because I have worked with them...they are class A/B which means they are very inefficient...they run aroun 35%(Thats why they have cooling fans) they waste 65% on heat and with a unregulated power supply they will pull even more when they heat up and become less eff...Thats why Class D is better and smaller because they are more efficent(most class D amps are 85% efficent)...These amps hold 6 40 amp fuses so under perfect conditions they will not pull no more than 240 amps of current and at 35% efficent they can not produce no more than 1428 watts at 17volts(this is what they clam to run them at but they should know better to say this because a car does not run at 17volts it runs at 14volts) with this in mind you can't get more than 1176 watts out of this amp..Also that will be at peak no matter what because you will be at max current drawl!!! We all know what happens at peak power...YOUR amp distorts so thats wear on your speakers...In another words these amps will do 1100 or so watts at a current drawl of 240 amps and you will have to have extra batterys(at least 2)which will bring your cost back up to run these amps. so just figure 200 bucks(Amp)+ 200 buck(batt)=$400...If you do go without extra batterys then one of two things will happen...a red hot amp melting down and a small fire or you will blow fuses all the time because of low voltage...If you rob your car from voltage your car will also run bad...

New Post 02-18-2003 04:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vaperz Click here to Send vaperz a Private Message Find more posts by vaperz Add vaperz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gankojiji

I'm not saying that price is the only factor. And as to your analogy of "that's the same as judging a car by it's color" is completely wrong. I judge a car by it's reliability, safety, power, and ammenities, just like I base my opinions on amplifiers based on hard facts, like the quality of construction, reliable long-term performance, sound quality, channel separation, etc. The old saying "nice things cost money" applies here. You can't get a Mercedes at a Neon price. You can't get a high-end performance amp at a Wallmart amp price either. The cost-to-performance comparisons are a different issue. For the money, there are some fantastic amplifiers out there for a couple hundred dollars, but they will never, even on their best day, come close to the fidelity and sonic performance of a true high-end amplifier. And as a note, raw power does not equal fidelity.

New Post 02-18-2003 05:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gankojiji Click here to Send Gankojiji a Private Message Find more posts by Gankojiji Add Gankojiji to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
civic9517

even legacy is more than 30% efficient. If I pay 200 bucks shipped for that amp. and it was able to hit 153.3 db's, I think it put out quite enough power at 1.5 ohms and only 2 12's. SO please stop dogging that amp.

New Post 02-18-2003 06:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for civic9517 Click here to Send civic9517 a Private Message Find more posts by civic9517 Add civic9517 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
civic9517

I dont even care, ultra linear sucks, legacy sucks, what the hell do I know......

New Post 02-18-2003 06:16 PM
vgad23

ultra linear ul600hc

I had an ultra linear ul600hc, but someone stole it. I am looking for another one, so if anyone knows where to get one at a good price email me with the info. people talk bad about this amp, but i know what it can do. I've had jl,mtx soundstream,kicker,alpine,clarion,jbl,orion,audiobahn,lanzar(old opti's)u.s. amps,zapco,sony,rockford,kenwood,eclipse,phoenix gold and i can go on. i had all of this stuff because i like to change my system every few months just to play around with it and see what i can get out of it. i love this amp. i'm not saying that it's the best but it's damn good, so good that i would buy one and battle anyone with an amp in $1000 range(75% of these amps i would battle) I had this amp pushing 2 18" rockford fosgate's and i pushed them so hard that i blew them right out of the box. I also had it on 1 15" cerwin vega stroker and it beat the hell out of it. and the last sub i used it on before it was stolen was an audiobahn 18" and that was the hardest hitting box and amp i've owned. so i know what it will do. oh and also my friend has an mmats juggernaut and i pushed it easy. so for all you people that want this amp go and get it you will be happy. and for the dude putting it down, buy one and try it if you don't like it i will try and take it off your hands. thanks fellas.

New Post 10-25-2005 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vgad23 Click here to Send vgad23 a Private Message Find more posts by vgad23 Add vgad23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pksimon28

RE: ultra linear ul600hc

quote:
Originally posted on 10-25-2005 by vgad23
I had an ultra linear ul600hc, but someone stole it. I am looking for another one, so if anyone knows where to get one at a good price email me with the info. people talk bad about this amp, but i know what it can do. I've had jl,mtx soundstream,kicker,alpine,clarion,jbl,orion,audiobahn,lanzar(old opti's)u.s. amps,zapco,sony,rockford,kenwood,eclipse,phoenix gold and i can go on. i had all of this stuff because i like to change my system every few months just to play around with it and see what i can get out of it. i love this amp. i'm not saying that it's the best but it's damn good, so good that i would buy one and battle anyone with an amp in $1000 range(75% of these amps i would battle) I had this amp pushing 2 18" rockford fosgate's and i pushed them so hard that i blew them right out of the box. I also had it on 1 15" cerwin vega stroker and it beat the hell out of it. and the last sub i used it on before it was stolen was an audiobahn 18" and that was the hardest hitting box and amp i've owned. so i know what it will do. oh and also my friend has an mmats juggernaut and i pushed it easy. so for all you people that want this amp go and get it you will be happy. and for the dude putting it down, buy one and try it if you don't like it i will try and take it off your hands. thanks fellas.

This thread is two fucking years old!

New Post 10-25-2005 09:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pksimon28 Click here to Send pksimon28 a Private Message Find more posts by pksimon28 Add pksimon28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MattSWE

and to actually think you were browsing THIS THREAD to post a comment like that,hahahhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahhhahh

New Post 10-25-2005 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MattSWE Click here to Send MattSWE a Private Message Find more posts by MattSWE Add MattSWE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MattSWE

u just gotta love auto notification through email...WOW

New Post 10-25-2005 10:43 PM
androtaker56

holyshizer civic boy you are saying that amp is comparable to a zr1000 do you know what that amp is.

New Post 10-26-2005 01:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for androtaker56 Click here to Send androtaker56 a Private Message Find more posts by androtaker56 Add androtaker56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xxwiredxx

RE: RE: ultra linear ul600hc

quote:
Originally posted on 10-25-2005 by pksimon28
This thread is two fucking years old!

I have to agree with pksimon on this one..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

New Post 10-26-2005 10:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for xxwiredxx Click here to Send xxwiredxx a Private Message Find more posts by xxwiredxx Add xxwiredxx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thunder

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 02-13-2003 by Gankojiji

You must not have a girlfriend...LOL!!!!!Nothin better to siphon your hard earned money...

New Post 11-08-2006 03:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Thunder Click here to Send Thunder a Private Message Find more posts by Thunder Add Thunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

for the record...

Quote: Posted by Vaperz
"they are class A/B which means they are very inefficient...they run aroun 35%(Thats why they have cooling fans) they waste 65% on heat and with a unregulated power supply they will pull even more when they heat up and become less eff."

A/b's are around 60% at full power -- which means the rest of his numbers are way off.

New Post 11-08-2006 11:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting