Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Good, Bad and the Ugly Amp makers
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sevrinus

Good, Bad and the Ugly Amp makers

What amp makers (or lines by makers) are considered the high end? What amp makers (or lines by maker) are considered middle of the road, good quality for the buck? What amp makers (or lines by maker) are considered the K-mart special, sure they make power, but quality was not the indended goal. (I'm asking from a quality side, not just raw power.)

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 03-29-2004 01:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sevrinus Click here to Send Sevrinus a Private Message Find more posts by Sevrinus Add Sevrinus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dynamic_Sound2003

DYNAMIC SOUND Car Audio and Video Sales and Installation

quote:
Originally posted on 03-29-2004 by Sevrinus
What amp makers (or lines by makers) are considered the high end? What amp makers (or lines by maker) are considered middle of the road, good quality for the buck? What amp makers (or lines by maker) are considered the K-mart special, sure they make power, but quality was not the indended goal. (I'm asking from a quality side, not just raw power.)

jl, kicker, cadence, db drive, memphis, hifonics, alpine, ppi, rockford fosgate, clif designs, xtant, jbl are some of the best out there.

mtx, profile, us acoustiks, kenwood, pioneer, blaupunkt, boss, bazooka, soundstorm, mmats, lightning audio are some of the mid range brands.

sony, audiobahn, pyramid, pyle, legacy, orion, jensen, alphasonic, optimus are some of the worst.

there are tons out there, but theres a few. the biggest thing to look for is the rms power and the voltage it is rated at. also, the price, if you are looking at a 1600 amp for $60, you know it is a piece of crap.

Jason

Dynamic Sound

www.DynamicSoundCarAudio.net

Sales@DynamicSoundCarAudio.net

New Post 03-29-2004 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dynamic_Sound2003 Click here to Send Dynamic_Sound2003 a Private Message Find more posts by Dynamic_Sound2003 Add Dynamic_Sound2003 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sevrinus

Ahhh, thank you thank you

I like a man who can spit out a no nonsense answer. I've been trying to do my research, but there isn't anything I can find that gives you a good idea of who all the quality brands are. 2 years ago Audiobahn was a cheap brand, now they make expensive 1000watt+ amps. 3 years ago Sony had some really nice Amps in the mobil ES line now they make cheap flashy amps. Thankx, it helps to know where the brands you've not heard of fit in the picture.

New Post 03-30-2004 05:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Sevrinus Click here to Send Sevrinus a Private Message Find more posts by Sevrinus Add Sevrinus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dynamic_Sound2003

quote:
Originally posted on 03-30-2004 by Sevrinus
I like a man who can spit out a no nonsense answer. I've been trying to do my research, but there isn't anything I can find that gives you a good idea of who all the quality brands are. 2 years ago Audiobahn was a cheap brand, now they make expensive 1000watt+ amps. 3 years ago Sony had some really nice Amps in the mobil ES line now they make cheap flashy amps. Thankx, it helps to know where the brands you've not heard of fit in the picture.

no prob, sony makes great head units and subwoofers, but their amps are need of some serious work. audiobahn has grown in popularity so they have increased what they sell and they are a huge brand. either way, they are still one of the cheapest brands out there. their amps overheat easily and subs tend to blow within the company specs. also, just watch posts in the forum, you will see alot of other brands pop up that are really good, but you might have never heard of them. good luck

Jason

Dynamic Sound

New Post 03-30-2004 01:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dynamic_Sound2003 Click here to Send Dynamic_Sound2003 a Private Message Find more posts by Dynamic_Sound2003 Add Dynamic_Sound2003 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
meanman101

Jason, do you really believe Orion amps are poor quality. Ive never owned one and dont know anyone that has one. But they seem to sell for lots of $$$

New Post 04-01-2004 04:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for meanman101 Click here to Send meanman101 a Private Message Find more posts by meanman101 Add meanman101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sevrinus

RE: Orion Amps

quote:
Originally posted on 04-01-2004 by meanman101
Jason, do you really believe Orion amps are poor quality. Ive never owned one and dont know anyone that has one. But they seem to sell for lots of $$$

I've had experience with Orion amps, I have a cobalt 260. It's been a really good amp for me. solid, has enough power for the speakers I use (man I've got the orion cobalt coaxial 3ohms speakers hooked up to it right now. And when I turn it put it will over power you, without distortion. I've been using it for the rear speakers, and have them turned down as filler noise.) BUT they are both 5-8 year old products.

New Post 04-01-2004 11:48 PM
Dynamic_Sound2003

quote:
Originally posted on 04-01-2004 by meanman101

i do not havethe longest experiance with them, but i have dealt with them a little and i was not happy. i consider audiobahn one of the worst, but if you look at some retail prices on their amps, some are over $1000. price does notalways determine the quality. alot of people like the lanzar vibe amps, but theyare very cheap. also the opti serious. i have never used them, so i have no idea, but alot of people favor them.

Jason

Dynamic Sound

New Post 04-02-2004 12:35 AM
Splmonster

RE: DYNAMIC SOUND Car Audio and Video Sales and Installation

quote:
Originally posted on 03-29-2004 by Dynamic_Sound2003
jl, kicker, cadence, db drive, memphis, hifonics, alpine, ppi, rockford fosgate, clif designs, xtant, jbl are some of the best out there.

mtx, profile, us acoustiks, kenwood, pioneer, blaupunkt, boss, bazooka, soundstorm, mmats, lightning audio are some of the mid range brands.

sony, audiobahn, pyramid, pyle, legacy, orion, jensen, alphasonic, optimus are some of the worst.

there are tons out there, but theres a few. the biggest thing to look for is the rms power and the voltage it is rated at. also, the price, if you are looking at a 1600 amp for $60, you know it is a piece of crap.

Jason

Dynamic Sound

Please orion makes some of the best along with alphasonik, audiobahn also makes very powerful amps too. Wow your chart is way off!

New Post 04-02-2004 01:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Splmonster Click here to Send Splmonster a Private Message Find more posts by Splmonster Add Splmonster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Splmonster

jl, kicker, Orion, db drive, memphis, hifonics, alpine, ppi, rockford fosgate, clif designs, xtant, Audiobahn, Alphasonik jbl are some of the best out there. mtx, power acoustik, kenwood, pioneer, blaupunkt, soundstorm, mmats, lightning audio, Cadance are some of the mid range brands. sony, Profile, pyramid, pyle, legacy, jensen, optimus, Us Acoustiks are some of the worst Thats what it should look like, your list is way off bro, i have heard just about every brand here and this is what it should look like man.

New Post 04-02-2004 01:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Splmonster Click here to Send Splmonster a Private Message Find more posts by Splmonster Add Splmonster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dynamic_Sound2003

quote:
Originally posted on 04-02-2004 by Splmonster
jl, kicker, Orion, db drive, memphis, hifonics, alpine, ppi, rockford fosgate, clif designs, xtant, Audiobahn, Alphasonik jbl are some of the best out there. mtx, power acoustik, kenwood, pioneer, blaupunkt, soundstorm, mmats, lightning audio, Cadance are some of the mid range brands. sony, Profile, pyramid, pyle, legacy, jensen, optimus, Us Acoustiks are some of the worst Thats what it should look like, your list is way off bro, i have heard just about every brand here and this is what it should look like man.

first off, audiobahn amps are overrated and they overheat quickly do to what they are made out of. audiobahn is a flea market brand and is one of the worst, most people on this forum agrees. i have always seen people down alphsonic including the other day i was reading some car audio mag and the tech in their was downing them. i have never seen orion even near being on a competition level. these are the ones you are wrong on and the others are right on with what i said. if you disagree, do a poll with people on this forum and you will see that the majority will be with me.

Jason

Dynamic Sound

New Post 04-02-2004 01:15 AM
Splmonster

Guess you don't participate in alot of competitions you will see tons of orion at all of them. I have been doing audio for 15 years so please don't try to argue this point. Audiobahn i have never seen one overheat ever, and alphasonik is very good themselves. The reason you see audiobahns overheat is because some installs lack air space to breathe. The majority people just disagreed with you about orion amps and audiobahn. Dude Just don't make another topic like this very dumb and waste of bandwidth.

New Post 04-02-2004 01:23 AM
Sevrinus

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-02-2004 by Splmonster
Guess you don't participate in alot of competitions you will see tons of orion at all of them. I have been doing audio for 15 years so please don't try to argue this point. Audiobahn i have never seen one overheat ever, and alphasonik is very good themselves. The reason you see audiobahns overheat is because some installs lack air space to breathe. The majority people just disagreed with you about orion amps and audiobahn. Dude Just don't make another topic like this very dumb and waste of bandwidth.

I started the topic because I honestly want to know how people rate amps. There are so many brands out there that it is hard to know which are grade A, B or F. I want to be able to look at the lesser known names and know if they are any good or not. So please just give me which ones you think are high/med/low, "In YOUR opinion" and not bash others "Opinion" of amps. Really the Grade A and B have a lot to do with preference. BUT crappy amps are just that. So give me your idea on what are the good quality amps out there, the good value amps and the ones to avoid.

New Post 04-02-2004 10:26 AM
fathom

i for one mostly agree with jasons list. i would change a few around but for the most part its not bad. but as far as the very best amps u gotta mention zapco and us amps

New Post 04-02-2004 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for fathom Click here to Send fathom a Private Message Find more posts by fathom Add fathom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dynamic_Sound2003

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-02-2004 by fathom
i for one mostly agree with jasons list. i would change a few around but for the most part its not bad. but as far as the very best amps u gotta mention zapco and us amps

i did forget zapco, they are good.

New Post 04-03-2004 09:21 AM
Dynamic_Sound2003

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-03-2004 by Dynamic_Sound2003
i did forget zapco, they are good.

i was just checking online about orion amps. their power is a tad bit overrated being measured at 13.8 volts. they are also only found at websites that sell low end car audio like pyle, pyrmid, audiovox, etc. that alone is a sign that they can't be considered one of the best.

New Post 04-03-2004 12:05 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting