Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Other Mobile Electronics > carputer....
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mbayer07

carputer....

Im looking to install a computer controlled via 8" touchscreen. does anyone know how tough normal computer components will be in an automotive application? Are some brands better than others? I know nothing about computers so anything will be a help.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 03-27-2008 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mbayer07 Click here to Send mbayer07 a Private Message Find more posts by mbayer07 Add mbayer07 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MastaSquidge

RE: carputer....

quote:
Originally posted on 03-27-2008 by mbayer07

Im looking to install a computer controlled via 8" touchscreen. does anyone know how tough normal computer components will be in an automotive application? Are some brands better than others? I know nothing about computers so anything will be a help.

Lol you know nothing about computers but you are looking at doing a job which is almost 100% custom? How will you power the audio? Using a headunit no doubt right? Or will you be buying a audio card with unamplified perouts? If you lose the headunit, you either have to lose radio or install a radio reciever.  How about a disc drive? A lot of people just stick it in the glove box but thats a stupid ass way to do it IMO.

There is a ton of crap to consider with building a car based PC since there are no drop in plug and play options out there.

Good luck I say, but computer parts are computer parts. They are really only as tough as the case they are in, and usually there is not enough shock to mess up a hard drive unless you have uber stiff suspension.

New Post 04-23-2008 09:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MastaSquidge Click here to Send MastaSquidge a Private Message Find more posts by MastaSquidge Add MastaSquidge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SilentNights

Its a cool thing to do but when I was about 30% into it I wasn't able to fund it anymore so I stopped, its fun but just make sure you consider everything before jumping in, when I was starting this project at first there were no psp's or potable audio and video devices that could be used on the fly so PC was the way to go.

New Post 07-31-2008 12:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SilentNights Click here to Send SilentNights a Private Message Find more posts by SilentNights Add SilentNights to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJSki78

One of the greatest computers to use for a carputer is the Mac Mini.  Everything is there in a little box that you may even be able to mount in the dash depending on the car.  Go to www.123macmini.com or google mac mini carputer and there is GOBS of info out there on how to do it.

New Post 07-31-2008 03:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JJSki78 Click here to Send JJSki78 a Private Message Find more posts by JJSki78 Add JJSki78 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting