Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > amp crossoversettings
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
hedrocks420

amp crossoversettings

I just put in my door panels up front that were made for Kicker SSMB 8" and Phoenix Gold RDS6.5cs.  I also put in a JL 4 @ 6 channel to power my mids and highs.  The 6 channel is powering the phoenix golds with 4 channels bridge to two channels @ 4 ohms for the phoenix gold and the crossover is set on highpass @ 100 hz. which everthing seems to be working just fine on that. The other 2 channels are for the rear also no problem.  The 4 channel powering the Kicker 8's which is also bridge.  The crossover is set on low pass @ 100hz.  The headunit is crossedover @ 40hz, for the fronts and 60 for the rears.  My 4 channel still plays down past 40 hertz when taking readings with a DMM on the outputs. And thats the problem.  Theoretical that shouldn't be happeing.  The front rca is running first to the 4 channel and then to the 6 channel both split to a left and right channel with Y splitter.   If anyone has input on why my 4 channel would play below the crossover frequencies, I'd appreciate it. 

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 04-02-2008 11:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hedrocks420 Click here to Send hedrocks420 a Private Message Find more posts by hedrocks420 Add hedrocks420 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

you're going to have to do some serious editing for that to make any sense at all, but one thing I can tell you -- Crossovers aren't walls -- they don't just remove everything beyond the crossover point.  They "roll-off".

If you use a high pass crossover at 100hz everything below 100hz will reduced gradually according to the slope of the crossover.  12db/octave is a common slope.  That means if you have xdB at 100hz, you'll have x-12 dB at 50 hz, it's a big decrease, but it's not altogether gone.

New Post 04-03-2008 09:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hedrocks420

I spent some time messing around with it yesterday.  I changed the crossover setting on my head unit from a slope of 12db to 18db then to 24db.  When it is at 18db I still get some of the unwanted 30-25hz but with enough of a difference in the amount of output from the Kickers.  With it set at 24db it has very little output at 20hz which is not enough to do damage.  So I think If I either set the crossover slope at 18 or 24 that should take care of the problem, but I'll have to see how it sounds with the frequecy set a bit high with the slope at 12db.  Whatever sound the best, I just don't want the speakers to become damaged playing that low of a frequency.  If the first post doesn't make sense you probably aren't interpeting it correctly.  There is a 4 channel and a 6 channel power my mids 8 channels altoghether for my fronts and 2 channels for the rears.

New Post 04-03-2008 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hedrocks420 Click here to Send hedrocks420 a Private Message Find more posts by hedrocks420 Add hedrocks420 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. NRred2, from New York, NY. pksimon28, from Plainfield, IL. jrdrywater, from pryor, OK. Dal1as, from , MD. djbeats, from Jacksonville, FL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. larcos, from El Paso, TX. Mauro, from Erechim, AL. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. geob1kenobi, from Joshua, TX. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. goldblum, from Yonkers, NY. lessismorespl, from da' Nasty, MI. OnYrMrk, from Oklahoma City, OK. chosmo, from Austin, TX. pdk469, from , TX.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting