Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > CarStereo.com Lobby > Can I ask a Boat question on a Car Stereo Board?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MikeTool

Can I ask a Boat question on a Car Stereo Board?

Hi...

I just joined this community hoping that the collective wisdom of the car stereo experts can help me with my boat stereo system.  I have a 27 foot, 1979 sailboat that came with a Realistic STA-7M am/fm stereo receiver driving a pair of Realistic Minimus-11 speakers.  The receiver and speakers are mounted inside the sailboat cabin and the sound is fantastic....lots of bass from the fiberglass hull resonating in a small space.  However, the speakers cannot be heard outside in the cockpit unless they are cranked up real loud!

I want to mount external speakers in the cockpit area with a selector switch, inside speakers or outside speakers, but not both, at the same time.  Question is what specification speakers do I need for the outside speakers?  Speakers must have their own box or I can build a box(s) for them.  I can't / wont cut a 6" hole in the boat to mount speakers.  And they must be waterproof / all weather.

My MP3 connects directly to the reciever through the AUX input so I am looking forward to tunes in the cockpit while sailing.  Current musinc library is diverse.... Beatles, Sea Shanties, Jimmy Buffett, Beach Boys, Classical, Jazz and traditional folk / blue grass.  And I don't intend to blow away the dock rats in the marina.... just enjoy music while sailing at five knots.

Specs for the STA-7M are:  "Audio Output Power at no more than 1% Total Harmonic Distortion into 4 ohms, over the audio spectrum, 20 to 20,000 Hz...... 10 watts RMS (minimum RMS power, both channels driven).  Frequency Response (AUX input at 1 watt):  15-30,000 Hz

Minimus-11 speakers are 50 watts (music power maximum), 8 ohms and Frequency Response of 50-20,000 Hz.

Any help you can provide in selecting new speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-04-2008 12:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeTool Click here to Send MikeTool a Private Message Find more posts by MikeTool Add MikeTool to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1sr

Just get some 6.5 marine speakers. Polk Audio, Memphis make some good ones. Just search around and find some that best suit your needs and budget.

New Post 08-04-2008 12:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1sr Click here to Send 1sr a Private Message Find more posts by 1sr Add 1sr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

honestly, the cheaper the better (within reason) in your case.  Your head unit is only going to deliver ~10w, so spending a lot on a "high quality" brand would be pointless IMO.  Just make sure they are at least weather resistant.

Here are some duals that should work ok:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dual-LU43PW-Indoor-Outdoor-Speaker_W0QQitemZ170247086752QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170247086752&_trkparms=72%3A1018%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Phoenix gold:  SHOULD be better than the Duals, but they're a little bigger - if that's an issue --

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Phoenix-Gold-LS545-Indoor-Outdoor-Speaker-System_W0QQitemZ180273364674QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180273364674&_trkparms=72%3A1018%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

These look decent:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiosource-LS400-100W-Indoor-Outdoor-Speakers-1-Pair_W0QQitemZ130243269823QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130243269823&_trkparms=72%3A1018%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Do you need a switch box?  http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Way-Monster-Cable-Speaker-Selector-Multi-Speakers_W0QQitemZ300248270472QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300248270472&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318#ebayphotohosting

For what it's worth -- you could replace your current HU with a perfectly capable, and good quality, used CD player for $40-50 (ebay) and still have an aux input.  It would eliminate the need for a speaker switch box because most any modern HU will have 4 channels of amplification.  You'd have a bit more power too which is always helpful in terms of sound quality.

Something like this for instance - http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-AM-FM-CD-MP3-WMA-Player-Sirius-Ready-DP383U_W0QQitemZ180272142045QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180272142045&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

New Post 08-07-2008 11:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
renee

Just purchased two Weather proof speakers from PArts Express. They are already in cabinets and give you a few different mounting options.

FYI: Do a search for "OUTDOOR SPEAKER" -- PS has a ton of em.

New Post 08-08-2008 11:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for renee Click here to Send renee a Private Message Find more posts by renee Add renee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeTool

New Speakers Received and Thanks....

Thanks for the responces to my question.....  I bought a pair of Acoustic Audio 3 way outdoor speakers on eBay from TheDeepDiscount and, weather permiting, should get to try them on the boat tomorrow.  I did test them in the kitchen with my Pioneer SX990 in place of a pair of Minimus 7 speakers and got very good sound indoors.

Now I will start looking for a new receiver with built-in CD player, MP3 input and a fade control which will negate the need for a speaker selection switch.  Fifty watts per channel RMS with an 8 ohm load would be just right.

Thanks again.....  Fair winds and smooth highways....

New Post 08-10-2008 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MikeTool Click here to Send MikeTool a Private Message Find more posts by MikeTool Add MikeTool to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting