Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > 1997 BMW 328iC Speaker install question
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
reensjp

1997 BMW 328iC Speaker install question

Hi all!

I am hoping someone out there can help me.  I just bought a 1997 BMW 328iC convertible, she's BEAUTIFUL!  But, I was bummed when I cranked up my music and the speakers started to hiss and buzz. There's an aftermarket Alpine stereo installed, and I think maybe that the factory speakers couldn't handle what the stereo was putting out.  I've tried to find info on what size speakers I need, and the information is proving to be rather elusive, to say the least.  What I've gotten so far is that there is a mid and tweeter in the front door (the two round grills I see on the doors) and also the same setup in the rear seat.  The fronts are 5 1/4" & 1", the backs 4" & 1".  If this isn't correct, please let me know, like I said, it's been tough to get the info, and I'm not all that certain that I was given the right information.

My second question is once I've identified the speaker size, how do the speaker covers come off?  Or would the whole door panel have to come off? 

I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions, it's just no fun to not have my music while I'm driving!

Mahalo~

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-03-2009 02:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for reensjp Click here to Send reensjp a Private Message Find more posts by reensjp Add reensjp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TranceD

I'm a retard for saying this, but I believe that the speakers are actually attached to the back side of the front and rear door panels, at least they were in an 04 I did recently. The second part of this which really sucked was how they are mounted, they weren't screwed into the panels, they were glued to them. I ended up having to build custom pods in order for the Focal's to be installed.

Sorry to bring rain, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong... sorry.

New Post 04-21-2009 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceD Click here to Send TranceD a Private Message Find more posts by TranceD Add TranceD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hardrock

Your right, the info is sketchy. I think you have the sizes right although I think most of the folks modify the rear to accept 5 1/4 components.

I think your best bet is to remove the panels and see exactly what you have before purchasing new equipment.

Take some pictures and post them, everyone on here will help all they can, I'm sure.

Good luck

New Post 04-27-2009 10:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hardrock Click here to Send hardrock a Private Message Find more posts by hardrock Add hardrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brownie

Your sizes are correct,  and 5.25"speakers can be installed in the rear speaker locations with very little work.

Better speaker will help, but I would recommend a 4 channel amplifier with around 50-100 rms watts per channel for the new speakers.

That's mainly to overcome wind noise and to prolong the life of your speakers, since you'll be supplying your speakers with clean unclipped/undistorted sound.

If you plan on doing it yourself there's some good info on these BMW websites.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/index.php

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/

New Post 04-28-2009 01:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Brownie Click here to Send Brownie a Private Message Find more posts by Brownie Add Brownie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

you can try buying your car's data sheets from crutchfield since they usually include them for free when you buy head units or speakers from them.  They show you how to remove the door panels to get to speakers and what tools you should use.  I'd probably just purchase the data sheets from them if you need to physically look at diagrams instead of posted threads here.  I'd buy the speakers someplace else as Crutchfield isn't always the lowest online vendor....

New Post 04-28-2009 01:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
reensjp

still trying to figure it out, lol

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it.  I now have to figure out what size the kick plate speakers are (forgot about those, lol)   Crutchfield was useless, when I plugged in my info, it listed one speaker.   I've never owned a car before where the size of the speakers was such a big secret!  LOL

New Post 05-14-2009 12:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for reensjp Click here to Send reensjp a Private Message Find more posts by reensjp Add reensjp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
reensjp

to brownie re: amp

I'm a total beginner with all of this, so my question is, where would an amp go?

New Post 05-14-2009 12:45 PM
gameguru1360

some people have mounted it underneath the driver's or passenger's seat but it usually doesn't get a lot of ventilation down there because it's confined.  The usual spot is behind the rear passengers seat bolted on so it leaves you trunk space.

New Post 05-14-2009 01:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brownie

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-14-2009 by gameguru1360

some people have mounted it underneath the driver's or passenger's seat but it usually doesn't get a lot of ventilation down there because it's confined.  The usual spot is behind the rear passengers seat bolted on so it leaves you trunk space.

Yeah I would have to agree,  I would probably lean towards the trunk, unless your car has a lot of plenty of clearance under the seats.

New Post 05-14-2009 04:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Brownie Click here to Send Brownie a Private Message Find more posts by Brownie Add Brownie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting